Dream Theater.

Cygnus 2112

I am seeing Dream Theater April 12th in Vancouver and have limited knowledge of them. Teach me everything Dream Theatre please.

Although I heard of DT years ago I only started listening to them a few months ago. I don't know all their stuff, but the stuff I've heard seems a bit ... inconsistent. I think it really depends on the style(s) of music you like.

My favourite album of theirs is "Systematic Chaos." It's hard, the lyrics are dark, and it's overall a bit haunting. All great things in my book.

"Awake" is also good, with the exception of the first song, which I hate.

Contrast that to "Images and Words," where the first song is the only one I like. The rest of it seems almost like Top 40 or some crap like that.

"Metropolis, Pt. 2..." is critically acclaimed, but for me it's just over the "musical masturbation" line. If you're a musician then maybe that will appeal to you. I do need to listen to that album more while reading the lyrics, as it apparently tells a good story.

I also like "Black Clouds & Silver Lining" and "Octavarium" but I've only heard them a couple times so I need to hear more of them. I also need to listen to their latest, post-Portnoy album.

Have a great time at the show.

I've been bashing Dream Theater on this Forum for many years!

This video absolutely rules.

Very Rush in my humble opinion.

This band is so much better without Mike Portnoy. JMO!

This is my album of the year and I have my tickets for the Warfield. Can't wait to gaze into the looking glass............

I am seeing Dream Theater April 12th in Vancouver and have limited knowledge of them. Teach me everything Dream Theatre please.

Would you like to know the setlist? They´ve been keeping it the same through the European leg of this tour. I don´t think you´ll be able to digest their whole catalogue until April. But since we´re suggesting tracks for you to check out, here it goes:

I don’t think there are better progressive rock musicians anywhere on the planet, in the solar system or in the entire galaxy. These guys are scary good.

My usual advice for a Dream Theater newbie is to start with the albums Images & Words and Awake. Then listen to Metropolis 2: Scenes From A Memory. If these three albums don't make you a fan then you never will be. We will try our best but there's is no way to teach you everything Dream Theater in one thread.
  • Like 2

Would you like to know the setlist? They´ve been keeping it the same through the European leg of this tour. I don´t think you´ll be able to digest their whole catalogue until April. But since we´re suggesting tracks for you to check out, here it goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3u7OaTIFNk

I'd love to see the setlist.

HEre´s the setlist of their current European Tour - maybe a song or two will be changed for the American Tour, but this is yet to be confirmed:

1. False Awakening Suite

2. The Enemy Inside

3. The Shattered Fortress

4. On the Backs of Angels

5. The Looking Glass

6. Trial of Tears

7. Enigma Machine

8. Along for the Ride

9. Breaking All Illusions

10. The Mirror

11. Lie

12. Lifting Shadows Off a Dream

13. Scarred

14. Space-Dye Vest

15. Illumination Theory

16. Overture 1928

17. Strange Déjà Vu

18. The Dance of Eternity

19. Finally Free

20. Illumination Theory
    (Outro)

Although I heard of DT years ago I only started listening to them a few months ago. I don't know all their stuff, but the stuff I've heard seems a bit ... inconsistent. I think it really depends on the style(s) of music you like.

My favourite album of theirs is "Systematic Chaos." It's hard, the lyrics are dark, and it's overall a bit haunting. All great things in my book.

Contrast that to "Images and Words," where the first song is the only one I like. The rest of it seems almost like Top 40 or some crap like that.

"Metropolis, Pt. 2..." is critically acclaimed, but for me it's just over the "musical masturbation" line. If you're a musician then maybe that will appeal to you. I do need to listen to that album more while reading the lyrics, as it apparently tells a good story.

I also like "Black Clouds & Silver Lining" and "Octavarium" but I've only heard them a couple times so I need to hear more of them. I also need to listen to their latest, post-Portnoy album.

Have a great time at the show.

yeah I hear under a glass moon on top 40 radio all the time

anyway, images and words, awake and scenes from a memory are the 3 best. images and words is my favorite and all their albums are growers so repeated listens are necessary.

do not start with any of the 2000s albums, or their debut or falling into infinity

Wow, WHAT!!??

OP, with due respect to X1's opinion I'd say that song (called "6:00") is one of their very best.

If you want some really good songs to listen to and get a good idea of what DT's about, here are some I'd recommend:

Metropolis Part 1

Take The Time

6:00

Scarred

Octavarium (the song)

Surrender to Reason

The Enemy Within Inside

Bridges in the Sky

In the Presence of Enemies parts 1 & 2

Fatal Tragedy

Beyond This Life

The Glass Prison

As I Am

And, if you have 42 minutes to kill I'd highly suggest the entire "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" suite.

I had heard about them for a long time but it was only about 5 years or so ago that I picked up the Live at Budokan DVD and... well honestly, it was so amazing technically-speaking that I almost wanted to stop playing music altogether. If that makes any sense. I have- and still have- not seen any band really like DT.

anyway, images and words, awake and scenes from a memory are the 3 best. images and words is my favorite and all their albums are growers so repeated listens are necessary.

do not start with any of the 2000s albums, or their debut or falling into infinity

Falling Into Infinity has some good songs on it like Lines in the Sand, Hell's Kitchen, Peruvian Skies, Hollow Years, and..

Ah.. well, I guess that's a pretty fine album too when you look at it that way :)

Falling Into Infinity has some good songs on it like Lines in the Sand, Hell's Kitchen, Peruvian Skies, Hollow Years, and..

Ah.. well, I guess that's a pretty fine album too when you look at it that way :)

falling into infinity is good but not good for a beginner I think.

My usual advice for a Dream Theater newbie is to start with the albums Images & Words and Awake. Then listen to Metropolis 2: Scenes From A Memory. If these three albums don't make you a fan then you never will be. We will try our best but there's is no way to teach you everything Dream Theater in one thread.

My first DT album I bought was SFAM, mostly because of seeing Beyond This Life live off Budokan. I didn't get I&W or Awake until much later and he's right those are 2 other masterpieces.

falling into infinity is good but not good for a beginner I think.

Yeah, maybe not. But I do like Just Let Me Breathe probably more than I should. I wonder if they'll ever play it again?

Edited by Del_Duio

Love DT. But they range from Absolutely Fantastic like Images and Words, Scenes from a Memory, Octavarium, The 2nd disc of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. To not so good at all like Train of Thought, First disc of Inner Turbulence, Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds and Silver Linings. So they really run the spectrum. I love their past 2 albums. Mike Magini is a much needed breath of fresh air.

Mick

Love DT. But they range from Absolutely Fantastic like Images and Words, Scenes from a Memory, Octavarium, The 2nd disc of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. To not so good at all like Train of Thought, First disc of Inner Turbulence, Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds and Silver Linings. So they really run the spectrum. I love their past 2 albums. Mike Magini is a much needed breath of fresh air.

Mick

I definitely agree that they are a pretty hit and miss band.

• Like 2

my fav song on FII is trial of tears, which, luckily, they're playing on their current tour. can't wait for the atlanta date

Yeah man, I just hope it's with 100% less Xanadu in the intro. That was cool once, but not everytime :D