Any psychologists here?

liddybuck01

Shot in the dark, but does anyone on here work in the psychology field? I'm currently going to school for a "human services" degree, and I think I know what I want to do as a career, but I'm not sure how to get there. Just looking for some advice from people who have been through the process already.

I'm not a psychologist but I got a BA in psychology and entered a Masters program.

Do you want to do therapy?

• Like 1

I'm not a psychologist but I got a BA in psychology and entered a Masters program.

I'm not sure. I feel like I want to either do something like be a sex therapist or councel lgbt kids, or something related to either of those. I just don't know how to get into either. What steps should I take?

Edited by liddybuck01

Work on getting a BA and then a Masters or Doctorate in Counseling Psychology. That will get you where you can do the therapy of your choice.
  • Like 1

I'm not sure. I feel like I want to either do something like be a sex therapist or councel lgbt kids, or something related to either of those. I just don't know how to get into either. What steps should I take?

You may want to check out a women's studies program, if your school offers one. That may help you be a counselor for lgbt or women's crisis centers. Being a counselor requires studies in psychology and social work, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.....

In all seriousness, I am a photographer for Playboy magazine. Any interested ladies, please PM me a couple sample shots.

PM sent. Oh wait! You said ladies!

LIX - Please disregard the pic in your inbox. :blush:

• Like 1

Me, I psychoanalyze myself every night talking to myself pacing about the house...

:hail:

Talking to yourself isn't so bad.

Just don't lose the argument. That's bad. :eh:

• Like 1

I was hoping I would be able to do something just with the degree I'm getting, which is just an associates in human services. Will that at least get my foot in the door?

With an AA you'll be in line for work as an assistant to a certified case manager. That's a good way to find out if you really want to pursue the filed before investing a lot of time and money into a bachelors and masters degree. To do the kind of counseling work you describe, you'll need a masters, most likely.
  • Like 1

I was hoping I would be able to do something just with the degree I'm getting, which is just an associates in human services. Will that at least get my foot in the door?

With an AA you'll be in line for work as an assistant to a certified case manager. That's a good way to find out if you really want to pursue the filed before investing a lot of time and money into a bachelors and masters degree. To do the kind of counseling work you describe, you'll need a masters, most likely.

Thank you. That's very helpful. I'm just so lost on what degree does what and all of this college stuff. I'm too busy to even find out! Lol