Beginning of Headlong Flight live...

Thunder Bay Rush

On the DVD, in the very beginning of Headlong Flight, Geddy starts playing his bass after 2 bars of the bass already being played on a sequencer (or something.) Then he joins in. He’s obviously not trying to hide it or BS anyone… but does anyone know why this is set up this way?? It sounds like he’s joining in on a sequenced track just to get him started off right.

I’ll bet Kenny Lee knows the answer to this one… anyone else??

Hmmmmm, I’m kind of disappointed now. One thing I’m not a huge fan of, is the sequencing. I’d rather they’d write songs that they could play live without having to play along to tracks, et cetera. Nothing like Rush live back before sequencing.
  • Like 3

GREAT song, but wouldn’t it be just as great without a double bass line and therefore the need to run sequencers during the live show?

Ah – bring back the goddam 70s, PLEASE!!

Hmmmmm, I’m kind of disappointed now. One thing I’m not a huge fan of, is the sequencing. I’d rather they’d write songs that they could play live without having to play along to tracks, et cetera. Nothing like Rush live back before sequencing.

One of the reasons, probably the only one, that their albums sound so muddy, noisy. Tooooooo many tracks.

I agree with the sequencers. I really wish they never got into technology. I still love new Rush, but like it a lot better when it was just simple keys with no backing vocals, sounds, etc. Foot pedals and Moog are good enough for me.
  • Like 1

What I'm hearing is a HUGE long delay on the bass. Makes it sound like 2 basses playing simultaneously. I honestly don't have this song in my repertoire yet so I can't say for sure but the videos I've seen have him blacked out, then he plays, lights come on and you hear the delay loop and then he starts. It's also why, when he stops playing, the bass continues going into Neil's solo.

Just my initial thinking.

no no no no no its just the intro like on the album. seriously its not that complicated. He holds down a trigger pedal as the intro sounds play, the bass lick plays once, then he joins in.

The drum solo is just Neil triggering recorded bass and guitar hits.

• Like 3