Geddy Solo

gangsterfurious

although I might as well give it a try, since I've already heard greg lake's shitty solo album, phil collins' shitty solo albums, etc

What does Phil Collins touch that doesn't turn to shit? He needs to get back behind the drums, do some backup vocals only and put Peter Gabriel back behind the main mic.

You mean Phil Collins the fourth best selling artist of all time?

Some people like crap.

How anyone can put down Phil Collins is beyond me. He was the driving force behind Genesis and the reason the bandhas survived. His solo career in the 80's was stellar. He played with Zepplin live! He brought back several Artist back from the endless abyss. (Plant, Clapton) to name a few. The man has done it all. :codger:

I bought Geddys solo album when it came out. I've listened to it maybe a handful of times. It's alright. Sounds a lot like a generic Rush.

although I might as well give it a try, since I've already heard greg lake's shitty solo album, phil collins' shitty solo albums, etc

What does Phil Collins touch that doesn't turn to shit? He needs to get back behind the drums, do some backup vocals only and put Peter Gabriel back behind the main mic.

You mean Phil Collins the fourth best selling artist of all time?

I used to love Phil Collins. Then I turned twelve.

• Like 1

I thought My Favourite Headache was an excellent solo effort by him so, yes, I would like to see another solo album by him now I think about it.

Ditto here, although I need to listen to MFH more.

Also, I didn't think it sounded like Rush. Something was different.

I think the most noticeably different thing about MFH is that Neil didn't write the lyrics.

I love both Geddy's and Alex's solo album and I'd love to have them each do another. I also wish Geddy would have included the lyrics in the CD.

I probably listen to Geddy's more, but I think Victor has some pretty amazing stuff on it too.

I really like My Favorite Headache. I find Geddy's lyrics to be more personal. Even when Neil wrotes about his loss, there was a feel of it being observed rather than felt. Not sure if he did that because Geddy would have to sing them, so he made them more universal. My main complaint is that the playing is not as interesting as on Rush albums, but very nice singing and lyrics and melodies.

I like bits of Victor for the playing but can't listen to it and enjoy it overall.

• Like 1

"My Favorite Headache" is a terrific CD. A lot of it does sound like Rush, which hey, ain't no bad thing. "Runaway Train" and "Home On The Strange" are top favorites. "Grace To Grace" and "My Favorite Headache" are right up there too. "Slipping" is probably the least Rush-like, but it's a great song. I mix these songs in with my home-made Rush discs, along with three songs from Alex's "Victor". ("At the End", "Mr. X" and "Strip and Go Naked". The rest of "Victor" doesn't do much for me. Well, "Shut Up Shuttin' Up" is funny, but you've got to be willing to put up with the chicks talking, and they just won't shut up.) I'm surprised there are Rush fans on these boards who haven't tried listening to "MFH". At least go and listen to the thirty-second clips that are available on Amazon. They give you some idea of what's on there. Oh, and yes, I'd love to have another Geddy solo album in my CD player. Edited by Geddyleegenes

I've always been curious about it, guess I will have to listen to it. I would probably love anything that Geddy does :heart:

I think that in some of the songs his voice sounds deeper in a way that you can feel in your soul.

I think you're just extra horny for him.

Well that too...

• Like 1

If it wasn't for Edwin of I Mother Earth, I'd enjoy Victor a whole lot more. I still love it though. He could have gone out there and made a guitar slinger record and that would have been great, but really love what he did instead...very introspective and still really fun in a lot of ways. It's just so Alex.

Geddy's though is just so damn accessible, so easy to listen to and very personable.

• Like 1

What's kinda interesting about Ged's and Alex's solo albums is that you can hear their individual songwriting elements that they each bring to Rush. Like in "Grace to Grace", you can say "ahh, Geddy's responsible for *that* kind of vibe in Rush" and in "Promise" you can hear the kind of style Alex brings to the Rush songwriting table.

Interesting also that their respective solo albums go along with their personalities. Alex's goes from wacky to literally deadly serious ("At The End") and Geddy's is more even-keel and introspective.

• Like 1