The nerdy interests thread. Get your geek on!

The Analog Grownup

As someone educated in design and communication I sometimes browse through Google for inspiration. I especially like retro style posters. But it got me thinking of some of my interests I had a child, which I sometimes feel like rekindling.

I was a nerdy child (now a nerdy grownup) who had plenty of time on my own. One of the things I always enjoyed was assembling model kits of ships and airplanes, draw and paint, and as I just recalled I had a nice collection of stamps. When I reached my adolescence I turned away from it, because being a geek didn't attract the girls. As I get older I tend to think "why not?" and have gradually reintroduced those things in my life again. What I find interesting in old stamps is the history the convey. Some of them are from countries that don't even exist anymore. Sometimes I think "what message did these stamps carry? A message of love? A message of fear and despair or a message of hate?"

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/yuri-gagarin-vintage-stamp-1961-7006789.jpg

Do you have any nerdy interests (besides Rush ;) ) you'd like to share?

• Like 3

I would say besides my bald head (seemingly prerequisite for being a male Rush fan), my love of Rush and my obsession with the original Star Trek, there wouldn't be a way to even tell I was a nerd..... :)
  • Like 3

I LOVE Star Trek. I mean, I really love it. All versions of the show ;)

I'm dying to play D&D, and as a teen I was in a LARPing club every sunday lol

• Like 2

I LOVE Star Trek. I mean, I really love it. All versions of the show ;)

I'm dying to play D&D, and as a teen I was in a LARPing club every sunday lol

I just loved watching the original show. If I tried to LARP I might injure something... :LOL:
  • Like 2

Nerdy girl here who grew up into a nerdy woman. :) Though I'd imagine there is possibly a high correlation between women Rush fans and nerdiness.

Things I am a nerd about (a partial list): Doctor Who and non-North American scifi/fantasy series in general (I like North American stuff, but I am nerdy about these things. The upside is that I recommend really good TV shows if you like that stuff!), horror movies/books/comics/TV shows, giant monster movies (let's talk Godzilla!), writing, music history, astronomy (as a layperson), physics (again, as a layperson), some political theory, history. Basically if there's a nerdy angle I can take with a subject, I will. e.g. I am not a big fan of sports, but I know a lot about uniform history and defunct leagues. :)

So, yes, self-identified nerd and proud. :)

• Like 2

I'm dying to play D&D

I loved AD&D back when I was in eighth grade. I haven't played in many years, but I still have the books that I bought way back then. Great memories.

As for my other nerdy pursuits, well, I used to play video games quite often. That's probably not all that nerdy or unusual, but I was into some pretty obscure stuff, and I learned to read Japanese (to a very limited extent) just so that I could play certain titles that were released only in Japan.

• Like 3

I like:

Sci Fi books (especially Asimov, Wyndham, Douglas Adams)

Star Trek (all of it! Especially Data, due to the Asimov link)

D&D (especially Balsur's Gate)

Video Games (PC mainly, so that I can mod!)

Computers in general (I build them and fix them)

Science, especially quantum physics and space exploration.

The Big Bang theory and other geeky/ nerdy/ sci fi TV

BOINC grid computing- I always have a computer searching for prime numbers, extraterrestrials, subatomic particles and pulsars.

Engineering- I like to figure out how things work and make them work better! I'm an engineer by trade.

I own a slide rule, and a pattern makers rule. I have an arc welding set in my garage and enjoy maths puzzles. Do I qualify as a geek or a nerd, or both? :sarcastic:

• Like 1

I like:

BOINC grid computing- I always have a computer searching for prime numbers, extraterrestrials, subatomic particles and pulsars.

Engineering- I like to figure out how things work and make them work better! I'm an engineer by trade.

I own a slide rule, and a pattern makers rule. I have an arc welding set in my garage and enjoy maths puzzles. Do I qualify as a geek or a nerd, or both? :sarcastic:

Can you wear your hair in a bun, a skirt just below the knee and some thick glasses too?.... :heart: :)

I don't really have any "nerdy" interests I don't think - though I remember virtually everyone at my School thought I was one (because I was quiet, got on with my work and stayed away from everybody because I f***ing hated all of them).
  • Like 2

I like:

Can you wear your hair in a bun, a skirt just below the knee and some thick glasses too?.... :heart: :)

No.

:LOL:

:mwah:

• Like 1

I like:

No.

:LOL:

:mwah:

Cute

• D&D/Tabletop games
  • Science Fiction
  • comic books
  • Formerly, (for the brief period it took me to realize a heroin addiction would be cheaper): Warhammer 40 000
  • Robotics (you'd be surprised how easy this is to get into financially and knowledge wise)
  • Video games. Now more than ever I'm into strategy games ranging from mindless DPS games like Starcraft to grand strategy games like Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings and Civ.

• Like 1

I also like design as well as architecture - especially history and theory. In my teens, I had developed an interest in astronomy during my teen years (circa 1982, 1983), and you'd see me up at 4:00 in the morning looking at the stars and identifying constellations and using my high powered binoculars. I had several books on the subject. I still have some interest in it but not like then. (I no longer get out of bed at 4:00 to star gaze!)
  • Like 1

I'm a huge band geek. I play trumpet. Our ego makes everyone hate us, but us trumpet players unite together for a single cause: to destroy all woodwinds.
  • Like 2

I'm a huge band geek. I play trumpet. Our ego makes everyone hate us, but us trumpet players unite together for a single cause: to destroy all woodwinds.

Former Euphonium player checking in. Do not let your dedication to the cause waver.

I collect fossils and sing sixteenth century music (not at the same time). I guess that makes me some kind of ancient nerd before nerds were invented?? I also love cipher cracking, and Killer Sudoku.
  • Like 1

I'm sometimes so obsessed about naval war history around WWII that if reincarnation really exists, then I must have been a sailor during that period! :P

I have decided to have a go at programming apps for Android and iPhones. That's pretty nerdy! :fuckinputer:

Edited by The Analog Grownup

I pick up Batman graphic novels from time to time, been a fan since I was 8.