Different Stages - Live

Thunder Bay Rush

Had to make a four hour road trip (there and back, 8hours) on the weekend, so I just “happened” to bring 9 or 10 Rush CDs along for the ride. I listened to Different Stages again for the first time in a few years or so. WOW! This is my new fave live Rush CD.

If you don’t have this one, get it. The band plays SO well… Geddy sings like a MF’er… Neil’s solo is way nuts and of course, Big Al destroys his guitar on every goddam song.

And if you like 2112, as you may know, this tour (T4E) was the only time ever, that they played the entire piece live. And it sounds unreal. This is where Geddy really sings his testicles off.

I think most of this show was recorded in Chicago and as usual, those Rush fans are crazy!! You can hear them screaming the whole time. Hats off Chi-town.

The bonus; the third CD is a part of a show from the Hammersmith Odeon in London, back in ’77. WOW! So, if you like the old stuff, pre: sequencers, tons of keys, electronic drums… just the band playing EVERY single note – you’ll love this CD. They play Cygnus X1… the whole deal. Crazy… Geddy hits every note.

(Editor’s Note – It has been documented that it took both Howard Ungerleider and Tony Geranios to find Geddy’s balls after the show. They were found shaking under Pratt’s drum riser and had to be begged to come out.)

• Like 4

For some reason I have never listened to this live album. I'm sure I'll love it when I do eventually listen to it, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've probably avoided it for so long subconsciously because it's one of the few undiscovered Rush releases I have left! Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

The first two discs are very good, especially Dreamline and The Analog Kid. The third disc sucks. It's like a poor man's ATWAS with a few AFTK songs thrown in. Geddy was sick that night (as he has admitted in interviews) and was slow with his vocal delivery—that is, you expect a line at a certain point but he doesn't belt it out until a second or two later, which gets annoying. Edited by Cyclonus X-1
  • Like 1

The first two discs are very good, especially Dreamline and The Analog Kid. The third disc sucks. It's like a poor man's ATWAS with a few AFTK songs thrown in. Geddy was sick that night (as he has admitted in interviews) and was slow with his vocal delivery—that is, you expect a line at a certain point but he doesn't belt it out until a second or two later, which gets annoying.

Wow, i have to disagree. I think its a pretty powerful show..Neil plays his ass off

• Like 4

I have this album, and I have to agree, its a awesome live album, one of my favorites!

The third disc is from 1978 thou! And they only play Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage!

If you gonna get this album, you have to get the Japanese version! I bought it on Amazon, and its sooooo worth it, the song Force Ten that is only on Japanese version, is so damn good, the best version of that song ever!

I only have one complaint thou, you hear the audience to much during the songs, they kinda destroy the songs, with the screaming and such. Other then that, this is a awesome live album! With great sound quality!

• Like 1

The first two discs are very good, especially Dreamline and The Analog Kid. The third disc sucks. It's like a poor man's ATWAS with a few AFTK songs thrown in. Geddy was sick that night (as he has admitted in interviews) and was slow with his vocal delivery—that is, you expect a line at a certain point but he doesn't belt it out until a second or two later, which gets annoying.

then I guess they are still great even on their worst night

then I guess they are still great even on their worst night

Good point. Rush fans should try being fans of The Who. You never knew if you were going to get rock and roll genius out of them, or a stumbling, embarrassing mess. :)

The vocal thing is noticeable, sure, but I don't find it that bad. It sometimes makes his delivery sound cheesy to me (like 'Vegas Geddy' ;D), but I am glad for the only clean soundboard recording from that tour that I know about.

Man, there are some fussy people around here…

I think the band sounds great. It IS live remember… it’s astonishing to think about just HOW high Geddy could sing back then, and in tune, most of the time.

I don’t like the way he sings In The Mood, so I know what you mean about singing behind the beat… but, it’s still a great recording. I thought it was ’77 though. My bad. Would love to hear the rest of that concert… no drum solo on this recording. No 2112, which I’m sure they must have played.

To hear all of Cygnus X1, Book One... holy shit. Brings back the memories of me sitting in the Ottawa Civic Centre, April 1 (I think) 1977. That was the first time I saw a big video screen used at a concert. It was uneffingbelievable.

Agree with those that believe this album is good from disc 1 to 3. Sure, one could quibble that their are other options to hear the band live during their AFTK days but overall, I think this set ranks right up there with any other group's best live album. I am partial to it since, for me, it is the entire spectrum of their work all in one place. I remember "preparing" for the CA tour by listening to "Show of Hands" and "Different Stages" since those albums included just about the entire pre-CA-portion setlist.

DS is simply better in every way than SOH, sick Geddy or well Geddy.

This is a great album. I love the entire thing and disc 3 is a special treat. Xanadu, A Farewell to Kings and Cygnus X-1 in particular are very cool

ATWAS is By far their best live album.

:D

I guess if you never like to hear anything live after 1976 until today then that might be true. I'd say ATWAS is the best live album prior to the 90's. Different Stages and R30 are up there since then.

I guess if you never like to hear anything live after 1976 until today then that might be true. I'd say ATWAS is the best live album prior to the 90's. Different Stages and R30 are up there since then.

As they relate to each other..... Define "up there" please. Gonna attempt to let this go..... :)

As they relate to each other..... Define "up there" please. Gonna attempt to let this go..... :)

My favorites? Best since then?

Good. Thanks :)
  • Like 1

Sorry to disappoint. No hidden meanings. :LOL:

No disappointment. If I read you correctly you are saying they are best since ATWAS. As long as ATWAS is best, I am good.... :)

No disappointment. If I read you correctly you are saying they are best since ATWAS. As long as ATWAS is best, I am good.... :)

This is far far far better than ATWAS, Narp.

Disclaimer- this may or may not be true; however the reader must remember that all attempts to make Narp listen to something released since 1987 can only be good for the forum. :yes:

:LOL:

• Like 1

Disclaimer- this may or may not be true; however the reader must remember that all attempts to make Narp listen to something released since 1987 can only be good for the forum. :yes:

Feel the love.... :)
  • Like 1

ATWAS is a great album but it's only shows a tiny bit of their repertoire. To me it's like reading a young teens book compared to a more mature novel. They both may be good, but the later albums show their accomplishment as musicians.

• Like 2

ATWAS set the standard, and it was one of my 1st couple records from them so it holds a special place for me. Rush in Rio is way high up on my list too

You really shouldn't limit yourself to one era of the group. ATWAS encompasses FOUR albums. Nothing more. If you like ATWAS you'll love Different Stages. This album straight up rocks. The T4E setlist is perfect, a nice blend of stuff from every era, only it's missing material from GUP, PoW, and HYF but if you want that stuff go listen to A Show Of Hands. This has all sorts of 70's goodies including all of 2112, the triumphant return of Natural Science, nice versions of CTTH and The Trees, and it's got plenty of material from the 90's that stands up against the 70's (Stick It Out, Test For Echo, Animate).

Of course if you just want the old 70's air raid siren Rush it's got the third disc from the AFTK tour which is also good. Only thing it's missing is 2112, which for some reason was cut from the release.

If you want a raw sounding hard rock live album like ATWAS, go listen to Different Stages or Rush in Rio.

• Like 2