Documentaries

Mr. Not

Please go watch the Ken Burns documentary on the Vietnam war, if you have not already.

Hands down the best documentary series I have ever seen. Started watching it a second time. Although I may not watch the 10th episode a second time because it was debilitating. I sobbed like a baby during the last half hour. Have not been so wrecked by film since Schindler's List. Aside from the emotional gutpunch, I learned so much more about the causes and the perfect storm of mistakes that made it such a debacle. Ken Burns you are a damn fine filmmaker.

Please go watch the Ken Burns documentary on the Vietnam war, if you have not already.

Hands down the best documentary series I have ever seen. Started watching it a second time. Although I may not watch the 10th episode a second time because it was debilitating. I sobbed like a baby during the last half hour. Have not been so wrecked by film since Schindler's List. Aside from the emotional gutpunch, I learned so much more about the causes and the perfect storm of mistakes that made it such a debacle. Ken Burns you are a damn fine filmmaker.

If that series doesn't piss you off and leave you teary eyed, you may not be human. Sadly, the politics around "wars" hasn't changed much.

I remember Jim Jones and other big "cult" stories and I am not sure why I have no recollection of this one? It obviously got a lot of mainstream media coverage at the time.

Yeah i was in high school. I had no idea how crazy that shit was.

I remember Jim Jones and other big "cult" stories and I am not sure why I have no recollection of this one? It obviously got a lot of mainstream media coverage at the time.

Yeah i was in high school. I had no idea how crazy that shit was.

Just watched Heaven's Gate doc, that's pretty fukked up as well. Cults fascinate me.

I have also been watching a lot of music documentaries on amazon.

They have a ton. Most recently i watched slade and t-rex.

I never knew rick wakeman played on bang a gong!

Just nabbed a free month on Netflix but time is nearly up, I wish I had more time to race through all their amazing docs on there.

• Like 1

I have also been watching a lot of music documentaries on amazon.

They have a ton. Most recently i watched slade and t-rex.

I never knew rick wakeman played on bang a gong!

Just nabbed a free month on Netflix but time is nearly up, I wish I had more time to race through all their amazing docs on there.

There is a ton of cool stuff on youtube as well.

• Like 3

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I did not do due diligence by reading the other ten pages of the thread, but did anyone watch the "Documentary Now!" series of parodies from Fred Armisen and Bill Hader? Really funny (most of them) and oddly they give a real appreciation for how hard it is to do a documentary well. The music ones are my favorites.
  • Like 2

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I did not do due diligence by reading the other ten pages of the thread, but did anyone watch the "Documentary Now!" series of parodies from Fred Armisen and Bill Hader? Really funny (most of them) and oddly they give a real appreciation for how hard it is to do a documentary well. The music ones are my favorites.

Funny show.

Two docos I very strongly recommend are Blackfish

And The Cove

Blackfish explores how long-held misconceptions and harmful living conditions may be causing orca whales tolash out violently toward their trainers. Several cases of death and mutilation are researched, leading to some uncomfortable questions about how we choose to keep and display these large and very intelligent animals. -FeatheredSun.

The Cove is a documentary where using state-of-the-art equipment, a group of activists infiltrate a cove near Taijii, Japan to expose both a shocking instance of animal abuse and a serious threat to human health. -IMDB.

Edited by Jack Aubrey
  • Like 1

I know what happens in The Cove and can't watch it. Just thinking about it is upsetting enough and if I watched it, I'd probably have PTSD.

You should hear the bullshit excuses I hear first hand from folks here defending what happens.

“Interesting” to know that many DVD rental shops (yes they’re still very popular here) don’t have this movie. [“If I ignore it, it doesn’t happen” type mindset is embarrassingly common here, even more so than stateside imho]

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f__e3b-idHI

Sad what happened to his voice regarding cancer.

This was really, really good.

Even more unfortunate that he lost his ranch in New Mexico which helped him find solitude when his career had peaked.

Watching this on Kanopy right now. I took two typing classes in junior high and aced both due to training a few years before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgJ3kSOHMiU

Finally got around to watching the Laurel Canyon documentary. My wife and I both loved it, and her immediate comment was that she could watch it again. I was really impressed by Jakob Dylan as an artist.
  • Like 4

Finally got around to watching the Laurel Canyon documentary. My wife and I both loved it, and her immediate comment was that she could watch it again. I was really impressed by Jakob Dylan as an artist.

It's a good one.

I finally watched the entire Wrecking Crew doc yesterday (DVR'd off AXS). Outstanding as you had said previously on a different thread.

• Like 1

Just rented this on Vudu Fandango and will get around to it. Didn't know about this until I read a recent interview of Nick Rhodes from Duran Duran. I've actually seen the documentary on the GITM recording sessions when I rented The Police's video collection on Netflix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWf7_eXZ-bo

I know what happens in The Cove and can't watch it. Just thinking about it is upsetting enough and if I watched it, I'd probably have PTSD.

Would you be able to make it through Our Last Stand, though?

I just read this and I wouldn't start it so I wouldn't have to get through it. It's not a movie that would interest me.