Danish Zoo kills giraffe and feeds it to Lions

Xanadoood

The only reason that it's controversial for a giraffe to die to feed lions, is because humans are involved.

This stuff happens every day in nature.

Yes, but things like that which happen in nature, do not generally happen in zoos.

We happened to have just turned on the television last night when this story was on the news- I mean, less than 30 seconds the television had been on, and in an instant I'm having to calm down my horrified six and ten year old sons, who can't stop asking why a zoo would do something like that, when they could have just sent the giraffe to another zoo. It was really disturbing to them, and uncomfortable for us.

It's just another reason why I'm more and more ready to just get rid of the television. If it weren't for PBS and sports...

First Denmark decides to sell Dong (ask Analog Grownup about that)...and now this. What's going on over there?

*shakes head*

I think it's normal practice in Denmark. It's a great way of teaching people that lions aren't cute and cuddly Disney figures. Yes it might be too much for young kids, but parents have tremendous possibilities of teaching their kids so many things.

The Zoo CEO have received death threads and the social medias are ripe with hateful posts. People are too squeamish :eyeroll:

• Like 2

First Denmark decides to sell Dong (ask Analog Grownup about that)...and now this. What's going on over there?

*shakes head*

I think it's normal practice in Denmark. It's a great way of teaching people that lions aren't cute and cuddly Disney figures. Yes it might be too much for young kids, but parents have tremendous possibilities of teaching their kids so many things.

Oh, I agree with that. But I think that as a parent, the decision as to when and how I teach things to my kids should be MY decision, rather than being forced into a discussion with my kids because of a news story that happened to be on television, right at the moment we had turned it on.

If that link shows that poor giraffe being hacked to pieces, then I'm not going to click it.

I didn't click on it, either- they showed a before photo of the two year-old giraffe on the news last night, and then talked about what happened to it. That was enough for me.

If that link shows that poor giraffe being hacked to pieces, then I'm not going to click it.

I didn't click on it, either- they showed a before photo of the two year-old giraffe on the news last night, and then talked about what happened to it. That was enough for me.

Unfortunately, I saw a pic of it mutilated in a newspaper. Had me in tears. That's why I won't click on the link.

Sorry if I seem insensitive, but I find it rather … how should I put it? Astounding that the death of one giraffe can upset people so much, while hundreds of thousands of animals are killed daily to feed us? And think of the tons of meat that goes to waste because of that.
  • Like 6

*shakes head*

Oh, I agree with that. But I think that as a parent, the decision as to when and how I teach things to my kids should be MY decision, rather than being forced into a discussion with my kids because of a news story that happened to be on television, right at the moment we had turned it on.

I can understand that. Many times on the news they will (in Denmark) show gross pictures of people blown to pieces, or an operation where you see a beating heart inside a chest cavity. Would be nice to choose for oneself. I was in particular referring to those attending it in person :)

How should we, as humans capable of controlling and confining animals, go about representing the natural world?

Well... In regard to animals' primal violent tendencies, it's apparent that zoos already have decided they will simply inform rather than demonstrate. That's why this is a news story - this Danish zoo isn't acting in accordance to the standard, and that's what causes controversy.

Edited by Mr. IsNot

I'm not upset over this.

Nor am I.

:eyeroll:

:(

:o

:eh:

:scared:

:facepalm:

:boohoo:

:wacko:

Okay, maybe I am, then.

Even though I eat meat and wear leather shoes- it's irrational!

I don't think you'll like a danish television show named Shoot & Eat (Nak og Aed in my native langauge ;) )

They have two days to hunt down an animal, it could be deer, rabbits, some kind of bird or wild animal, and cook it. If they don't succeed they'll have to cook some animal you definitely wouldn't cook. I like that show because it shows there is more to the food we eat than it's showing up on the shelves :P. Besides it inspires people to get outside more :D

• Like 1

Was this animal executed and dismembered right in the giraffe exhibit, where anyone who passed by could see it, or in a confined area where only those who were interested could watch? When I go to a zoo I expect to see animals on display in artificial environments, not slaughtered before my eyes. If I wanted to see something like that I'd take a tour of an abattoir. Edited by substancewithoutstyle

Was this animal executed and dismembered right in the giraffe exhibit where anyone who passed by could see it, or in a confined area where only those who were interested could watch? When I go to a zoo I expect to see animals on display in artificial environments, not slaughtered before my eyes. If I wanted to see something like that I'd take a tour of an abattoir.

That reminds me: When I studied Photography one of my classmates where photo documenting an abattoir. It took him 6 months before he was able to eat meat again. I must admit those pictures were graphic.

But wether it was a confined area the dismembering of the giraffe occurred I don't know.

Was this animal executed and dismembered right in the giraffe exhibit where anyone who passed by could see it, or in a confined area where only those who were interested could watch? When I go to a zoo I expect to see animals on display in artificial environments, not slaughtered before my eyes. If I wanted to see something like that I'd take a tour of an abattoir.

In was in front of an audience. There was a little Danish boy taking a picture as well. I just skimmed through the video.

Was this animal executed and dismembered right in the giraffe exhibit, where anyone who passed by could see it, or in a confined area where only those who were interested could watch? When I go to a zoo I expect to see animals on display in artificial environments, not slaughtered before my eyes. If I wanted to see something like that I'd take a tour of an abattoir.

In was in front of an audience. There was a little Danish boy taking a picture as well. I just skimmed through the video.

I realize it wasn't an endangered species, but that's just messed up, especially when other zoos were willing to take it off their hands.

It's my understanding that 20-30 other animals, mostly goats and pigs, meet the same fate at that zoo each year. Of course, nobody cares about goats and pigs.

*shakes head*

I understand how you feel but the reality is that your kids will learn a lot of things either not taught by you at all or not discussed with you at the time/place of your choosing. Better sooner than later.