Walmart features "Working Man" in commercial

circumstantial tree

If Rush sold out at all, then they would have written a song for Walmart to use. As it happens, the song was written in 1973 so it already existed for someone else to use. I only hope that Walmart sought permission first before using it.

Don't talk bloody wet. Of course Walmart would get permission to use the song. Jeez!!

:LOL: They probably even have a full time legal department to consider these kinds of things. ;)

The reason I mentioned that is because Rush Limbaugh was using a Rush song and the band told him to stop, which he did.
  • Like 2

If Rush sold out at all, then they would have written a song for Walmart to use. As it happens, the song was written in 1973 so it already existed for someone else to use. I only hope that Walmart sought permission first before using it.

Don't talk bloody wet. Of course Walmart would get permission to use the song. Jeez!!

:LOL: They probably even have a full time legal department to consider these kinds of things. ;)

You can be certain that they do. Or at least the record company. :)

I think there should be two threads - one here and one in Sense O'Clock News. For people who want to discuss the politics regarding Walmart and their practices, just go there.

Why don't we wait and see how this goes? Or better yet, to all, let's keep politics out of this discussion. We can say how Walmart sucks without making it political.

• Like 1

Now I'm waiting for the usual news update saying that the band members have asked them to stop.

EDIT: As you guys just mentioned, of course. Ten bucks says the phone rings after the angry tweets start getting kind of scary.

Edited by ThatLightInYourEyes
  • Like 1

I used to work at Walmart back in 1993 in the pharmacy. Of course, I didn't fill prescriptions; my job was to stock the shelves, operate the register, and help customers in general. What I HATED was when customers would expect me to ring up items from other departments. We could do a few things, but some were brave enough to bring their entire shopping cart for me to ring up. No job is perfect, but I didn't mind working there. It was certainly better than working other departments within the store. I was sick quite a lot though. In fact, during one of my colds, I drove an hour into Raleigh to get the new Counterparts album.
  • Like 1

I used to work at Walmart back in 1993 in the pharmacy. Of course, I didn't fill prescriptions; my job was to stock the shelves, operate the register, and help customers in general. What I HATED was when customers would expect me to ring up items from other departments. We could do a few things, but some were brave enough to bring their entire shopping cart for me to ring up. No job is perfect, but I didn't mind working there. It was certainly better than working other departments within the store. I was sick quite a lot though. In fact, during one of my colds, I drove an hour into Raleigh to get the new Counterparts album.

I drove that far when A Farewell To Kings came out.......
  • Like 1

I am pretty sure we can at least keep the "A" word out anyway... :)

hmm, why can't we get abortions at wal-mart

Wait a while......
  • Like 2

I think there should be two threads - one here and one in Sense O'Clock News. For people who want to discuss the politics regarding Walmart and their practices, just go there.

Why don't we wait and see how this goes? Or better yet, to all, let's keep politics out of this discussion. We can say how Walmart sucks without making it political.

The mod's a dem lib?

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/oops-4580387.jpg

• Like 1

Doesn't anyone else find the usage of the song a bit odd given the lyrics? The lyrics aren't really a celebration of the working class—rather the opposite. That would make this song very much appropriate for Wal Mart, although I'm sure the executives wouldn't see it that way if they gave a damn about anything other than having a popular band's song in their commercials.

In many ways that juxtaposition is almost as bad as Reagan using "Born in the USA" for his 1984 campaign. Despite the anthemetic sound, the song is about as far as a celebration of the USA as possible. But in that case, Reagan used it without Springsteen's permission, and was ordered to stop once Springsteen got wind of it.

• Like 4

I am pretty sure we can at least keep the "A" word out anyway... :)

hmm, why can't we get abortions at wal-mart

Wait a while......

Wal-Mart: You rape 'em, we scrape 'em.

• Like 2

Thing is, if you really consider the lyrics, they definitely were not written by someone who was, in fact, a "working man".

This guy gets up a Seven. He goes to work at Nine.

Now, is he actually "leaving the house to go to work" at nine, or is he arriving at work at nine?

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say he is indeed starting work at nine.

How long of a day is he actually working? Because he's home by five o'clock!

This guy doesn't even work an eight hour day. Technically, he could be considered a part-timer.

Not really much of a "working man" who has no time for "living"!

Edited by Geddyleegenes
  • Like 5

Thing is, if you really consider the lyrics, they definitely were not written by someone who was, in fact, a "working man".

Now, is he actually "leaving the house to go to work" at nine, or is he arriving at work at nine?

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say he is indeed starting work at nine.

This guy doesn't even work an eight hour day. Technically, he could be considered a part-timer.

No shit - he doesn't even have to sit in afternoon rush hour traffic if he's home by 5. Slackass.

• Like 3

No shit - he doesn't even have to sit in afternoon rush hour traffic if he's home by 5. Slackass.

In DC traffic for all those years I would have to leave at 7 to get to work by 9. I certainly wouldn't be home by 5 however...

I heard the commercial in Walmart as I was shopping. I stopped where I was and made a B-Line for the TV department. I was excited that the band that I love, the band that has changed my life was being featured in any way shape or form - especially something from their first album. Just like Narpzilla, I got goosebumps - I was proud. I thought of someone who had never heard Working Man thinking "Wow...that song kicks ass! I wonder who that is?"

Anyone who can't see this as a positive thing for they're favorite band (remember.....the band you spend 12 hours a day posting about....must be your favorite right?) is just a douche bag - plain and simple. You wouldn't be happy with the set list if Rush came to play your Birthday Party.

If you don't like Walmart, don't work or shop there. Don't hold your dislike for a store against your favorite band.

Edited by rushfanNlv
  • Like 3

I heard the commercial in Walmart as I was shopping. I stopped where I was and made a B-Line for the TV department. I was excited that the band that I love, the band that has changed my life was being featured in any way shape or form - especially something from their first album. Just like Narpzilla, I got goosebumps - I was proud. I thought of someone who had never heard Working Man thinking "Wow...that song kicks ass! I wonder who that is?"

Anyone who can't see this as a positive thing for they're favorite band (remember.....the band you spend 12 hours a day posting about....must be your favorite right?) is just a douche bag - plain and simple. You wouldn't be happy with the set list if Rush came to play your Birthday Party.

If you don't like Walmart, don't work or shop there. Don't hold your dislike for a store against your favorite band.

Don't work or shop there? That's a thought... :D :sigh:

Really though...this could have been a lot worse...It could have been one of their many god-awful spots "in-store"...I can see it now...those obviously fake employees in terrible wigs air-rocking next to their "rollback" prices...then cutting to some dope in the hardware section trying to drum on buckets or some shit like that....I didn't even look at the commercial for a while for fear that it might have been the scenario i just described...If Rush's management gave the go-ahead, fine by me. At least i dont have to suffer through another commercial playing that garbage pop or bullshit country.

I don't work or shop there and I'm disappointed that they let them use the song. By your definition I'm a douche? You can think that if you want I guess.