Best songs left off an album

Rutlefan

Apart from all those stand-alone Beatles singles, what are the best songs not included on an album for whatever reason? More so than just listing great b-sides (though that’s fine), I’m especially thinking of those songs that would have made an album noticeably better if it had been included. A short list that comes to mind:

3. “Hey Hey What Can I Do” by Led Zeppelin. A lot of people would insist that Led Zeppelin III is fine the way it is, and while I get that, it might have been better with this included, especially as when I was growing up in the ‘70s and ‘early ‘80s, the only way you could hear this song was if you were lucky enough to own the “Immigrant Song” single or the local DJ played it (which wasn't often). “Hey Hey…” could have taken “Out on the Tiles” place nicely, I think.

2. “I Hate Myself and I Want to Die” by Nirvana. Was set to lead off Side 2 of In Utero (being placed between “Dumb” and “Very Ape”). Left off at the last minute because the Cobain thought the title was too personal (or something like that). Great song; would have really strengthened In Utero’s 2nd half.

1. “Dear God” by XTC. The initial release of Skylarking didn’t include this as producer Todd Rundgren thought it would be too controversial. But after becoming a hit on college radio as a b-side, Skylarking was re-released with “Dear God” (the Skylarking CD I have, which I bought when the album first came out, has the excellent “Mermaid Smiled” instead of “Dear God”; should have had both). I personally think that the “Argument from Evil” premise of the song is (philosophically) simplistic, at least in song form, but it’s brilliantly presented, and while the song’s sentiments aren’t my own, I appreciate the sincerity and conviction behind them. One of the best-written songs ever IMO, and to think that it was almost (permanently) left off the album seems absolutely crazy to me.

Since I mentioned b-sides, here’s my three favorites (out of so many to choose from): “Procession” by New Order (technically part of a maxi-single, but whatever), “The Exploding Boy” by The Cure, and “All of Us” by Big Country.

Murder by Number - Police, Syncronicity

Jailbreak - AC/DC, Dirty Deeds US release

Soul Stripper - AC/DC, High Voltage US release

Murder By Numbers was on the cassette version of the album when it was originally released. But it is arguably the best song on the album. No clue why Miss Gradenko or Mother were left on the vinyl instead of MBN.

• Like 2

Murder by Number - Police, Syncronicity

Jailbreak - AC/DC, Dirty Deeds US release

Soul Stripper - AC/DC, High Voltage US release

Murder By Numbers was on the cassette version of the album when it was originally released. But it is arguably the best song on the album. No clue why Miss Gradenko or Mother were left on the vinyl instead of MBN.

Those were the two songs not written by Sting!

The heartbreaking track, "When the Tigers Broke Free" off of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" wasn't on the first issue. It was in the film version of "The Wall", though. Subsequent reissues do have the track, however, and it is a tearjerker.
  • Like 1

Andy Partridge didn't think "Dear God" was invective enough.

No doubt, it's always the most difficult eccentrics that have the most problem with God, Reality, The Universe, Social/Economic inequality, the service at Denny's, their Home Owner's Association, etc. I love Andy's writing because I admire the artistry so much (and to some extent the honesty and conviction), but certainly not because I think he's the sanest person on the block (certainly not).

I think "Shake the Disease" was left off of Depche Mode's Black Celebration album IIRC, and it was later released on a soundtrack.

"Gunbarrel Highway" was left off the American release of Midnight Oil's Diesel & Dust album for sure, I had to get an import from Holland to get it on CD.

Edited by Del_Duio

Jethro Tull had so many of these that the Living in the Past and Nightcap compilations ended up being great albums in and of themselves. A number of quality tunes that weren't included on those found their ways into box sets or were released as bonus tracks on remastered CDs.

Jethro Tull had so many of these that the Living in the Past and Nightcap compilations ended up being great albums in and of themselves. A number of quality tunes that weren't included on those found their ways into box sets or were released as bonus tracks on remastered CDs.

Similarly, extra tracks from Sufjan Stevens' Come On Feel the Illinoise were put together to make the very well-received follow-up Avalanche, and Radiohead had enough (really high) quality extra tracks from each of The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A/Amnesiac albums that each session could have produced a great EP along with the LP (they did release an single/EP with OKC titled Airbag/How am I Driving?). For example, from The Kid A/Amnesiac sessions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM2oM1GWPsg

Or this, left off both OKC and Airbag/How Am I Driving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gwYlP9dbfE

Bruce Springsteen:

Roulette

Thundercrack

Doll House

Born In The USA (original acoustic version recorded during the Nebraska sessions. Stark and haunting.)

The Promise

Someday We'll Be Together

Rendezvous

Fleetwood Mac:

SILVER SPRINGS!!! How on earth did such an enormous classic get left off? Saying that...Rumours is perfect as it is...STILL...Stevie Nicks never forgave the band for this. And she was right.

ABBA:

I Am The City

Elaine

Should I Laugh Or Cry

Lacuna Coil:

Without A Reason

Lost Lullaby

Leaving Alone (I LOVE THIS SONG!)

Dark Adrenaline (left off the album that bares its name)

Oblivion

Within Temptation:

Jane Doe (my favourite song by this band)

Nightwish:

The Escapist

While Your Lips Are Still Red (another favourite)

Alter Bridge:

Never Born To Follow

Home

Zero

The Killers:

Carry Me Home

Prize Fighter

Jimmy Eat World:

Shame

Fleetwood Mac:

SILVER SPRINGS!!! How on earth did such an enormous classic get left off? Saying that...Rumours is perfect as it is...STILL...Stevie Nicks never forgave the band for this. And she was right.

Yeah, that's one of the most curious ones there is. This is why NASA doesn't encourage cocaine use during a mission; it doesn't make one think clearly, apparently.

Fleetwood Mac:

Yeah, that's one of the most curious ones there is. This is why NASA doesn't encourage cocaine use during a mission; it doesn't make one think clearly, apparently.

Lol that was funny!

To be honest, I couldn't really pick a single track I dislike. But Silver Springs could at least have waited for the next album!

Saying that...Tusk is my third favourite album. I think its perfect...still, I would love it to be 21 tracks if need be!

The Biggest Example that comes to mind is the fact that Oingo Boingo's last album Boingo is missing about six or seven songs. Why, because they approached the record with a heavy emphasis on live improvisation when recording, and the recordings got a little long, but they were very pleased (the most extreme example being a song that when preformed on tours prior to the album was 3:30 long, yet the album version wound up at exactly 16:00). Anyway they picked the best of the recordings for the album, picked one more for a tape only bonus track (due to their slightly longer play time), and the others were performed live only. I really wish there was a double album re-release with the missing tracks restored, but alas the album, and band, is rather obscure.

Otherwise, the Owl City album All Things Bright and Beautiful ends its CD/Vinyl copies with a somewhat disappointing closer of a piano ballade, but the iTunes/Japanese version has a fantastic, atmospheric, and quietly energetic ending bonus song that feels like the proper closer to the album. Why it was excluded is beyond me, it is one of his best works.

Finally They Might Be Giants have lots of great oddities and treasures released on EP's, Live Albums, and online, but five that stick out to me as good enough for an album are Were the Replacements, The Famous Polka, Dr. Worm, We Live in a Dump and O We.

Edited by RushBoingo

Oh, RushBoingo...because of you I now have to spend money on yet MORE music...Oingo Boingo sound really interesting. Gonna head to Amazon and start with...Dead Man's Party?

I could pick about 20 songs from The Smashing Pumpkins. Their b-sides albums are rated almost as highly as their standard releases (Pisces Iscariot and The Aeroplane Flies High, Judas 0), and they usually have a few b-sides per album that never make these compilations.
  • Like 1

ELO - Everyone's Born To Die

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4yjQyrD1E8

Appeared much later on the remaster of On The Third day. Marc Bolan on guitar, apparently. Quality tune.

Thanks for including this. I've never heard it!

Which is weird, because I've done a fair amount of scouring and scrounging to get many of their extra tracks.

"Julie Don't Live here," "Xanadu," "Point of No Return," "Video!," "Surrender" and "Destination Unknown" being some more of their excellent omissions.

• Like 1