Marathon (haha) listening projects

gudbuytjane

Does anyone else do listening marathons, where you listen to a series of albums or other related Rush items in a row? The most obvious being all of the studio albums in order, the studio albums in order with the live albums as they were released, etc. I've tried listening to multiple versions of the same song, and while that seems interesting in theory it mostly gets exhausting quick.

I think for my next project I am about to embark on listening to as full a set bootleg from each tour as I can find. It will be like travelling through time and going to Rush shows. :)

So am I am massive nerd, or do other folks do similar listening things? :)

A.

• Like 1

I have a bootleg from way back. The one where Ged is telling the people to back up or the show will end. I would prefer an ice pick through the retina...

Edit: it sounds like sh*t

Edited by Narpzilla

Yes! I'm listening to a playlist of all the studio albums in order on the way to work each day. It's taken me all year so far to get to Presto; but I did discover that if La Villa Strangiato starts as I pull off from the driveway, I can arrive at work to the final notes.

Narp, you're listening to the wrong bootlegs! :LOL:

• Like 2

I've been doing that lately with Jethro Tull, posting the album titles in the "Albums You've Listened To" thread. To commemorate my marathon I changed my avatar to a silhouette of Ian Anderson.

The problem is I blazed through the epic '70s albums in like 2 days, but now I've been stuck on the '80s and '90s for two weeks or so. It's difficult to muster the motivation to listen to Rock Island or Catfish Rising...

I admit I've done this in the past. Every once in a while I like to sit down and listen to one or more albums all the way through.

I've been doing that lately with Jethro Tull, posting the album titles in the "Albums You've Listened To" thread. To commemorate my marathon I changed my avatar to a silhouette of Ian Anderson.

The problem is I blazed through the epic '70s albums in like 2 days, but now I've been stuck on the '80s and '90s for two weeks or so. It's difficult to muster the motivation to listen to Rock Island or Catfish Rising...

I'd say Roots to Branches and J-Tull Dot Com are strong albums, worth toiling through Catfish for.

I'd say Roots to Branches and J-Tull Dot Com are strong albums, worth toiling through Catfish for.

I'll grant you RtB (to an extent), but Dot.Com...meh.

And I'm not listening to the (otherwise excellent) Jethro Tull Christmas Album in January!

Yes! I'm listening to a playlist of all the studio albums in order on the way to work each day. It's taken me all year so far to get to Presto; but I did discover that if La Villa Strangiato starts as I pull off from the driveway, I can arrive at work to the final notes.

Narp, you're listening to the wrong bootlegs! :LOL:

It's all I have and my son was nice enough to record it or down or up load it or whatever he did. It sounds sh*tty and I only listened to it once. I thought maybe it would be like ATWAS but no dice.... :(

I have some great bootlegs, just have to look around for them

I just did that with a band called Thunder... I'd downloaded something like 87 songs onto my MP3 player from 8 of their CD's and went through them all in 3 nights after coming home from work. Kind of funny going through an artist collection: it goes alphabetically by track #: All the track 1's, then all the 2's, etc, so all the albums get mixed together.

Going though all the Rush would take even longer: 132 tracks, well 126 songs really because the DS version of 2112 was counted as 7 tracks. Could be a fun way to spend a weekend :D-13:

Wait a sec, I just remembered that p/g audio CD in the ReplayX3 box. Have to download that live version of The Weapon :7up:

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay
  • Like 1

When I had to move from South Carolina to Ohio for the Marine Corps my wife and I went to Florida to visit family first. The playlist I made consisted of every concert tour that they've played. It was pretty awesome listening to how each tour evolved, and fortunately my wife never gave me a hard time about it either! But she just looked over my shoulder and said I'm lame :)

I've done the full studio album marathon twice. The second time only took two days (Rush-Permanent Waves on day one, the rest on day two)

I've also marathoned through Radiohead and Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson.

I've gotta do another one of those soon.

I have listened to AFTK through to p/g in one sitting before. Was amazing!