Happy (?) Kurt Cobain Day

Apparently this is now a thing in two towns in the State of Washington:

http://www.upi.com/blog/2014/01/25/Kurt-Cobain-Day-to-be-celebrated-in-two-Washington-towns/4631390679108/

Anyone know the customs for this? I was still listening to the local classic rock station when Nirvana happened. :huh:

I don't think such unkind words are acceptable as those above posters.

However, I will agree Nirvana and Cobain were overrated. Sure, they played powerful downtuned pop songs and screamed miserable lyrics, but they aren't all that great. Not really.

Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Smashing Pumpkins did the whole punkish indie rock shebang a darn side better, and more creative to boot!

It's crazy to think that he would have been 47 years old now. As with many other musicians who died young, I can't imagine it.

I think it's kind of odd to start celebrating a Kurt Cobain day now, 20 years after he's been gone. Maybe there are a ton of Nirvava-centric things going on in Washington that the rest of us are not aware of.

I was a fan of them back when, but not a huge one- not enough to go to one of their shows, as I hated the whole mosh-pit culture. But still, it was really upsetting when he killed himself.

• Like 2

Think about it: he killed himself almost exactly one month after Justin Bieber was born...

Wow, the other insults were bad enough. But to drag Bieber's name into it? Harsh, dude! :scared:

I heard too that Billy Ray was praticing conceiving Miley the day Kurt died.

Coincidence?... :huh: :)

Think about it: he killed himself almost exactly one month after Justin Bieber was born...

Wow, the other insults were bad enough. But to drag Bieber's name into it? Harsh, dude! :scared:

I heard too that Billy Ray was praticing conceiving Miley the day Kurt died.

Coincidence?... :huh: :)

It be teh end tymes! :codger:

So you think he had an uncanny ability to predict the future?

Ratings of any kind (over/under) are in the mind of the rater. Personally I think the Beatles were/are way overrated, they were just the first doing what they did. And then poor Johnny got killed by the crazy guy and that just added to their overratedness. See any similarities here?

Nirvana was groundbreaking in that they issued in new type of music to the masses. There were a couple of other bands who were playing similar stuff but they didn't get the airplay that Nirvana did. I'll never forget the first time I heard Smells Like Teen Spirit. It didn't have an "impact" on me or my life but it was a damn good song, imo. I bought the cd as soon as I could and played it a lot. Some of it I liked, some of it I didn't.

• Like 1

I don't think such unkind words are acceptable as those above posters.

However, I will agree Nirvana and Cobain were overrated. Sure, they played powerful downtuned pop songs and screamed miserable lyrics, but they aren't all that great. Not really.

Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Smashing Pumpkins did the whole punkish indie rock shebang a darn side better, and more creative to boot!

I don't think Nirvana is overrated, but I do think Kurt is. Kurt himself overshadows the band, and I understand he was the song writer and all, but that's not the focus. So many people quote him for some of his judicious one-liners (note: some are good anyways. There's a few that are flat out stupid) which most anyone is capable of, but since he's got a pedestal he's the genius. :eh:

I can't sympathize for the guy.

I don't think Kurt wanted to be a superstar or The Voice Of A Generation. Someone in the media started that. "The John Lennon of the new generation." Wow. A bit lofty, people. From what I understand, Kurt's reaction and the reaction of other Seattle bands was more like :eh: ... :eyeroll: ... 'k. Stardom easily destroys some kinds of people.

I lived two counties north of Seattle during the whole scene. I thought it was a great era of music and bands. I was tired of L.A. Glam/metal bands people kept listening to. I didn't think it was part of this huge New Generation media thing. I just thought, good, rock grew its balls back. About time.

I still have a couple of Nirvana albums and the box set. I wanted the outtakes. Some of it is noisy tuneless punk whick makes more sense when you're 25 (I'm 47 now, like Kurt would have been.) Some of it has stood the test of time, IMO. I still listen to Seattle bands.

Can't say about the drugs and suicide, I never took drugs. Just makes me wonder if he'd still be making music or art or just live as a recluse if he hadn't died.

• Like 3

I don't think Kurt wanted to be a superstar or The Voice Of A Generation. Someone in the media started that. "The John Lennon of the new generation." Wow. A bit lofty, people. From what I understand, Kurt's reaction and the reaction of other Seattle bands was more like :eh: ... :eyeroll: ... 'k. Stardom easily destroys some kinds of people.

I lived two counties north of Seattle during the whole scene. I thought it was a great era of music and bands. I was tired of L.A. Glam/metal bands people kept listening to. I didn't think it was part of this huge New Generation media thing. I just thought, good, rock grew its balls back. About time.

I still have a couple of Nirvana albums and the box set. I wanted the outtakes. Some of it is noisy tuneless punk whick makes more sense when you're 25 (I'm 47 now, like Kurt would have been.) Some of it has stood the test of time, IMO. I still listen to Seattle bands.

Can't say about the drugs and suicide, I never took drugs. Just makes me wonder if he'd still be making music or art or just live as a recluse if he hadn't died.

I think "In Utero" was written specifically in a way to destroy their popularity. Only one tuneful songs, with lyrics that prevented it from receiving any airplay.

I also read that Cobain had debilitating stomach issues that probably irrespective of any other factors would have led to addiction and probably early death.

• Like 2

why do people get so harsh about nirvana on here?

Yeah, its pretty ridiculous. Kurt himself would cringe at the idol worship the media gives him today..the guy was genuine, and not a " rock star"

Aberdeen residents may justifiably take pride in the role our community played in the life of Kurt Cobain

:|

Why not? I heard he had an idyllic childhood and loved it there...

Aberdeen residents may justifiably take pride in the role our community played in the life of Kurt Cobain

:|

Why not? I heard he had an idyllic childhood and loved it there...

They did provide the bridge he slept under!

• Like 1

Yeah yeah, happy day in memory of you in addition to your birthday and suicide date, you overrated druggie.

Popped in to see have I missed anything.

Nope.

Bad timing. I recently came back myself.

Yeah. Me too.

That said, I did like the band. Very much, in fact. It was upsetting news that he did what he did, as it would be if any other person I knew of shot themselves in the head. It's not so much that he was famous and all that. It was the thought that someone could be in that much pain to think that death was better. That's what gets me. I cannot even fathom that level of pain and loss of hope.

• Like 1