Babylon 5

USB Connector

It will never happen unless it's a reboot. No one wants to watch that much material to watch one movie. Same reason Star Trek will never have anything post Voyager or Stargate post SGU or SG1 for that matter.

I'm nearing the end of season 3. The pacing is incredible. It's not rushed and it's not padded to fill more time. The pacing is perfect for the story being told. I can't say that about many shows.

Good to see somebody picking up on how awesome Babylon 5 was,

Really, best sci-fi series, ever. Underappreciated. overlooked, for the most part, by the lamestream pop stupidity, but I guess that should be expected. The best art is always underappreciated by the lamestream.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert
  • Like 2

If I had to pick a favorite B5 moment, it would be when G'Kar was addressing the council after the Centauri had bombed and conquered the Narn homeworld. He looked at the council and said: "There is no greater need in the universe than the need for freedom" and I absolutely got chills. Brilliant writing.

Edit: found the scene! Still so powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJmuHNDcXLQ&list=PL27BE39B53594727E&feature=player_detailpage

Edited by Jack Aubrey
  • Like 3

*****Spoilers if you haven't gotten more than halfway through season 3*****

Best scene in the series, IMO: http://youtu.be/2mURWOwkFPM

Just recently (as in yesterday) started watching again. This'll be my fourth time seeing the entire series, not including the intermittent times I saw it during its original run. Season 3 is my favorite.

I'm probably one of the few who actually prefer Sheridan/Boxleitner to Sinclair/O'Hare.

• Like 3

Just recently (as in yesterday) started watching again. This'll be my fourth time seeing the entire series, not including the intermittent times I saw it during its original run. Season 3 is my favorite.

I'm probably one of the few who actually prefer Sheridan/Boxleitner to Sinclair/O'Hare.

This is a such a cool kickass scene for Delenn. And you're not the only one who prefers Sheridan, I do too.

This is a such a cool kickass scene for Delenn. And you're not the only one who prefers Sheridan, I do too.

This is a great scene! Love this show...I am going to have to have a marathon as soon as the Olympics are over. JMS is a great storyteller :notworthy: All hail the Great Maker :D

• Like 1

Good scene, but "the best" I dunno. So many excellent scenes in the series that could challenge such a claim . . .

As for Sheridan/Sinclair, from my point of view, I thought the series really took off once Sheridan replaced Sinclair.

Bruce Boxleitner's Sheridan is one of my favorite sci-fi characters of all time, maybe THE favorite. Can't think of any other Sci-Fi characters that I liked more atm.

Once again, I really don't get the Sheridan hating. Sheridan rules, imo!

• Like 2

J'Kar's monologue at the end of Season 3 is also excellent.

Don't remember it. Post video please.

I didn't remember the clip that Jack Aubrey posted about G'kar cutting his own hand in front of Vir either. But it sure was nice to see it again, to remind me of an awesome scene from this awesome series. Good stuff.

Post more videos.

Sucks that the series isn't being shown anywhere that I can access, and hasn't for a long time.

• Like 1

Good scene, but "the best" I dunno. So many excellent scenes in the series that could challenge such a claim . . .

As for Sheridan/Sinclair, from my point of view, I thought the series really took off once Sheridan replaced Sinclair.

Bruce Boxleitner's Sheridan is one of my favorite sci-fi characters of all time, maybe THE favorite. Can't think of any other Sci-Fi characters that I liked more atm.

Sure. That's why I said "IMO". A couple of scenes that could challenge it both come from Susan Ivanova - "I am God" (from season 1) and "I am Death incarnate" (from, I think, season 4), the former for funsies, and the latter for seriousness.

There are also a couple of other Delenn scenes that are good, several G'Kar and Vir scenes, and even a couple of Londo scenes. *I* just happen to think that Delenn's "Be somewhere else" is the best. I'm not going to argue about something so subjective.

EDIT: BTW, anyone can search YouTube using those quoted bits to find the Ivanova scenes. I'm not going to hog the thread by posting a crapton of videos.

Edited by MaxxQ

Sure. That's why I said "IMO". A couple of scenes that could challenge it both come from Susan Ivanova - "I am God" (from season 1) and "I am Death incarnate" (from, I think, season 4), the former for funsies, and the latter for seriousness.

There are also a couple of other Delenn scenes that are good, several G'Kar and Vir scenes, and even a couple of Londo scenes. *I* just happen to think that Delenn's "Be somewhere else" is the best. I'm not going to argue about something so subjective.

I wasn't suggesting that you do.

I fully understand the subjective nature of all this.

Was just responding from my own subjective point of view.

• Like 1

I didn't remember the clip that Jack Aubrey posted about G'kar cutting his own hand in front of Vir either. But it sure was nice to see it again, to remind me of an awesome scene from this awesome series. Good stuff.

Post more videos.

Sucks that the series isn't being shown anywhere that I can access, and hasn't for a long time.

It is quite the ending to the season.. spoilers if you haven't gone all the way through #3...

For those who would like to see B5 on tv again, check out Free Babylon 5 on facebook.

Edited by Rhyta

EDIT: BTW, anyone can search YouTube using those quoted bits to find the Ivanova scenes. I'm not going to hog the thread by posting a crapton of videos.

We all have our favorites, I am just glad to have people talk about it again. Babylon 5 is sooo good :drool:

Post more videos.

G'kar's Season 3 end monologue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9iCPsR_KTL4

Indeed, WOW.

Incredibly powerful scene.

At the risk of bringing up issues that could conceivably turn this thread into one banished into SOCN (but let us hope and try that it does not come to that), imo this scene shows everything that needs to be shown to understand how a people that have been "conquered" by a foreign power might deeply resent and hate that foreign power for doing so, no matter what excuses that foreign power might come up with for doing so, to the point where members of that "conquered" people will resort to things like a desperate sort of "terrorism" in order to resist.

Well . . taking that scene in the series in the larger context of it, anyway.

One of the things that I most like about Babylon 5, which distinguishes it from the vast majority of other tv shows or movies out there, is the very serious, insightful explorations into things like politics, not in some fantasy land feel good bullshit like Star Trek Next Generation where the whole Federation is some happy magical place where they can create food and drink out of nothing,

Babylon 5 is nitty, gritty, down and dirty, really hardcore exploration of the major ideas about existence, philosophy, politics, etc.

• Like 2

One of the things that I most like about Babylon 5, which distinguishes it from the vast majority of other tv shows or movies out there, is the very serious, insightful explorations into things like politics, not in some fantasy land feel good bullshit like Star Trek Next Generation where the whole Federation is some happy magical place where they can create food and drink out of nothing,

Babylon 5 is nitty, gritty, down and dirty, really hardcore exploration of the major ideas about existence, philosophy, politics, etc.

This is one of the reasons why I preferred DS9 to the other Trek series. It portrays the federation as imperfect, corruptible, and is quick to tell you that everything you've seen in the other series has been perfect because all you saw was the flagship and the innermost buddy circle of the human-vulcan alliances. Of course the flagship has to be perfect. It didn't go to the lengths Babylon 5 did, but it didn't stick with the idea of, to quote Gene Roddenberry "a sort of united nations that works" presented in the other series.

• Like 3

I think I've seen all of two episodes of DS9, and one of *those* was on the Star Trek original series discs as an updated Trouble With Tribbles episode. No complaints about that one, as I thougt they did a pretty good job integratng he original TWT footage with the new DS9 stuff.

TBH, I stopped watching anything Trek after NextGen finished, and the last of the NextGen movies.

Now, let's get off the Trek stuff and back to B5.

• Like 1

I'm midway through season 4 now. There was a bit of a slump when the shadow war ended. I'm disappointed with what they're doing with Garabaldi but I can't argue that they're using him well and the plot is still great. Is it just me or did the shadow war end really, really quickly? There was all this buildup, the two fleets met and almost nothing happened.

It seemed to me that the Shadow War ended too quickly. I know they were trying to wrap stuff up because of the series being canceled, but to spend all that time building up the story and then ending it so fast seem kind of abrupt. I would've liked to of known more about the Shadows. But maybe they did that deliberately so there would be an air of mystery about them. I still say best space vessel design ever created. Edited by EagleMoon