kRush - Tribute (one of our members)

Thunder Bay Rush

And dude, I'm not trying to "flaunt my greatness" as you say. Believe me, most of my luck has been just that....luck. The only reason I said all of that is because you asked the question "don't you get tired of ONLY (key word) doing Rush covers" and it put me on the defensive, because obviously, I have done waaaaayyyyyy more than "ONLY Rush covers" for over 20 years. In fact, this is the first time I've ever even done ONE. I guess my nutshell point is....don't assume.

Lastly, I have no doubt you've had some notworthy accomplishments of your own. You're a drum corps guy (as am I). Heck, we probably run in some of the same circles.

Onward...

Edited by forcetenrushtribute

My comments may be misconstrued because "I'm typing" but I liken playing only one band's music to just listening to one bands music.... I have several thousand CD's so I listen to a lot of different bands... So to me playing the same 15-20 tunes over and over each night, (especially since I didn't write them) to me seems just a bit boring. And yeah, I know; session/touring guys that do stuff like that for other artists have to go through that as well...but at least you're playing with the guy that wrote the songs..

The one cover band I played in hardly ever did the same set twice, in fact one night, we got to a bar, found out that it was like in the Blue Brothers where they got to the country bar...and the patrons and owner didn't LIKE the fact that we played Pround Mary to start (keyboard player lost a bet with the bass player...longer story, most of it I don't remember anyway haha!) and went into Good Times Bad Times next....The bass player had a thick book with country tunes in it, and we started at tune #1, and just kept playing through the book! (never playing any of those songs together as a band before) and we got through the night by "Ok, this one is your cheatin' heart in "A" 1, 2, 3, 4.... next up All my exes live in Texas...etc." THAT was a fun band, and was almost like how Umphree's McGee does covers and plays, EVERYONE's.

Anyway...sorry...your telling of accomplishments just rubbed me the wrong way...

Peace!

Marched all senior's... Never had the time to devote to junior, but thankfully the senior's I marched with all had the junior instructors come work with us at the end of the year... We learned from Thom Hanuum, George Hopkins, Chris Thompson, Bobby Morrison, Ralph Hardimon came in once, wrote a tune, and taught us. Dennis Delucia did a few sessions with us in Westshore (instructor one year was one of his students when he played with Bridgemen) Robbie Robinson was our instructor in Reading 84&85, We had Tom Aungst in 88. The guys I got to learn from were amazing! I marched with a whole bunch of ex-Crossmen in Reading as well.

Hershey Chocolatiers (parade corps) in 1978 (I was 13-14) it was a good learning experience

Harrisburg Westshoremen 79-84 Marching Timpani 2 years (yeah I'm THAT old) and tenors the rest of the way

Reading Buccaneers 84, 85, 88. pit, tenors, pit.

Taught a junior that never really got too far off the ground during 86 and 87, also was an assistant (and played) in 84 for Westshoremen while they tried to get back on their feet...

Marching BD, I'm sure you know Frank Dorritee.... great guy! Had me play drumset for Explosions during concert season since the drum parts weren't all there, yet....When the corps fell apart, I went to Reading for the rest of my days...

Taught a crap load of high school bands, though. Indoor and outdoor. All over the place...Most of my writing and teaching was for pit, and did some tenor "teching" during those years. It was fun, I just never decided to keep pursuing it, though. I got out in like 90, and just walked away from it all. I've been out of it so long I can hardly even read music anymore. Now all I do is scuba dive!

Cool! I did some senior as well. Music City Legend in 06 and 07 (was both a brass instructor and a soloist performer in the front). Frank was before my time in Blue Devils but I do know of him (another drum corps guy with some "Grammy" history...though unlike me, he was actually a WINNER :) .) Fun times!

Yeah. Frank was a great learning experience! He gave me a lot of pointers about playing big band drums... Nice to get instruction from a legitimate producer that's actually in the business. Listening to his stories was like listening to George Carlin! He was a funny guy!

Hey guys,

kRUSH was just talked about on WMMR (Philly radio station) by Pierre Robert for an upcoming cancer benefit we're headlining. He then a played a 4 song block of Rush for us!

Good stuff!

• Like 2

Hey guys,

kRUSH was just talked about on WMMR (Philly radio station) by Pierre Robert for an upcoming cancer benefit we're headlining. He then a played a 4 song block of Rush for us!

Good stuff!

THATS FANTASTIC, KENNY!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Did they play any clips of your recordings?

No. I'm sure there would be legal issues with that but they gave us some pretty good hype. :)

Actually, the legal issues are to use Rush's clips for a radio spot. We had a radio spot for our Cleveland event and the radio station asked for some MP3 samples of OUR music because they couldn't use anything from Rush.

Also just found out this morning that we have a radio spot for our show this weekend, plus going to be calling into another radio station at 1PM today for a radio interview about the upcoming show. Fun stuff!!!!

Actually, the legal issues are to use Rush's clips for a radio spot. We had a radio spot for our Cleveland event and the radio station asked for some MP3 samples of OUR music because they couldn't use anything from Rush.

I'm confused. The radio couldn't play Rush? This wasn't a commercial for us, it was just the DJ talking about us and then playing music.

Also just found out this morning that we have a radio spot for our show this weekend, plus going to be calling into another radio station at 1PM today for a radio interview about the upcoming show. Fun stuff!!!!

Congrats! They are a lot of fun. Enjoy!

What station?

Edited by KennyLee

All i know is that the venue asked to send some MP3 samples of my band playing becuase they wanted to use that as backround music for the radio commercial the venue paid to have played weeks before our show. The radio station could not use actual Rush songs as backround for OUR promotional commercial.

I'll be calling WKKX at 1:15PM today

Hey guys,

Good stuff!

Very cool! I caught Freewill and Time Stand Still on the way back to work. Too bad I missed your Pierre plug. Hopefully you reap the Robert Bump windfall. :cheers:

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Good stuff!

That's awesome, Kenny :cheers:

• Like 1

All i know is that the venue asked to send some MP3 samples of my band playing becuase they wanted to use that as backround music for the radio commercial the venue paid to have played weeks before our show. The radio station could not use actual Rush songs as backround for OUR promotional commercial.

I'll be calling WKKX at 1:15PM today

That makes sense if it is a paid commercial. I'll try to check out your interview. Good luck!

Hey guys,

Good stuff!

THATS FANTASTIC, KENNY!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Did they play any clips of your recordings?

No. I'm sure there would be legal issues with that but they gave us some pretty good hype. :)

AWESOME!!!!

Yeah, I kind of thought that was the case with the legal issues. Also, if it was only segmented clips within seconds, you are even more safe. Should ask, Kenny - the next time you get some air time. Couldn't hurt.

• Like 1

Yeah, I kind of thought that was the case with the legal issues. Also, if it was only segmented clips within seconds, you are even more safe. Should ask, Kenny - the next time you get some air time. Couldn't hurt.

I would have but I didn't know anything about it. He just started talking about us. I don't even know how to find it to listen if it is out there. :huh:

I would have but I didn't know anything about it. He just started talking about us. I don't even know how to find it to listen if it is out there. :huh:

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

HAAA! I'm laughing because that's so AWESOME!!!! A TRUE rock star does NOT know when he's being talked about or promoted on the radio! NICE! :cheers: :clap: :ebert: :haz:

Edited by forcetenrushtribute
  • Like 1

Found kRUSH on a google search for Rush tribute bands by total accident back in December 2013. Have witnessed their genius twice since then. I have seen Cygnals, Lotus Land, Blame Canada, Second Nature, Snakes and Arrows, Hemispheres, Mystic Rhythms, Absalom and Dreamline. These kRUSH boyz are in the ELITE category when it comes to representing the greatest.

kRUSH are in the right place at the right time considering the real Rush could be retiring in the next few years. Hell R41 could be the end of the road for that matter. Kenny and his group are the perfect remedy for those craving some live rocket sauce on the off season. When the real thing is long gone, kRush will still be killing it. Kudos to you for what you do Kenny!! Thunder on Bro!

• Like 1

Found kRUSH on a google search for Rush tribute bands by total accident back in December 2013. Have witnessed their genius twice since then. I have seen Cygnals, Lotus Land, Blame Canada, Second Nature, Snakes and Arrows, Hemispheres, Mystic Rhythms, Absalom and Dreamline. These kRUSH boyz are in the ELITE category when it comes to representing the greatest.

kRUSH are in the right place at the right time considering the real Rush could be retiring in the next few years. Hell R41 could be the end of the road for that matter. Kenny and his group are the perfect remedy for those craving some live rocket sauce on the off season. When the real thing is long gone, kRush will still be killing it. Kudos to you for what you do Kenny!! Thunder on Bro!

Amen to that! And living in Delaware, that also puts me in the right place at the right time to catch many great Krush performances. I envision myself with a front row seat for Krush at the sold out Bob in about 4-5 years from now. :haz:

• Like 1

Amen to that! And living in Delaware, that also puts me in the right place at the right time to catch many great Krush performances. I envision myself with a front row seat for Krush at the sold out Bob in about 4-5 years from now. :haz:

Years? Haha

You're the best EMS!

• Like 2