What's with Neil running like crazy @ the end of CA Tour DVD?

zappafrank

You guys who believe its all about "beating traffic" are extremely gullible, ffs. Bottom line: Neil can't be bothered with being social after the show, so he gets the f out, asap. Why don't you see Ged or Alex breaking their neck to hop into a helicopter together? Because they've been unethically relegated by him to be responsible for the "social" aspect of touring. Ever since his return to Rush it's been his way, which is the highway. Very rude and unfair to both bandmates and fans. Edited by GeminiRising79

at this point no rush fan would approach the guy anyway.

Seriously. If I saw him in a restaurant or a rest stop, the most I might do is say a passing "Thank you for the music" as I walked by.

Edit: As I walked by 11 or 12 times...

• Like 1

Why don't you see Ged or Alex breaking their neck to hop into a helicopter together? Because they've been unethically relegated by him to be responsible for the "social" aspect of touring. Ever since his return to Rush it's been his way, which is the highway. Very rude and unfair to both bandmates and fans.

Thanks to the magic of DVD bonus features, we can see that Alex and Geddy walk right off the stage and into a car and are chatting no one up. The fact that Neil is 30 seconds ahead of them totally validates your awesome analysis of concert exit speed etiquette though. Edited by Slack jaw gaze
  • Like 1

Why don't you see Ged or Alex breaking their neck to hop into a helicopter together? Because they've been unethically relegated by him to be responsible for the "social" aspect of touring. Ever since his return to Rush it's been his way, which is the highway. Very rude and unfair to both bandmates and fans.

Thanks to the magic of DVD bonus features, we can see the Alex and Geddy walk right off the stage and into a car and are chatting no one up. The fact that Niel is 30 seconds ahead of them totally validates your awesome analysis of concert exit speed etiquette though.

The amusingly unrealistic notion that somehow Geddy and Alex are unhappy minions ruled by an iron-fisted Neil is Gemini's "A" comedic material these days, SJG.

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 2

Thanks to the magic of DVD bonus features, we can see the Alex and Geddy walk right off the stage and into a car and are chatting no one up. The fact that Niel is 30 seconds ahead of them totally validates your awesome analysis of concert exit speed etiquette though.

The amusingly unrealistic notion that somehow Geddy and Alex are unhappy minions ruled by an iron-fisted Neil is Gemini's A-comedic material these days, SJG.

What is SJG?..... :huh:

Neil has stated in a couple of his books that he just likes to get away before the traffic jams start. I would do the same… he doesn’t hang around and mingle anyway, so why not get the hell out of there?

Cut the guy some slack…

I’ve mentioned this part once before (about a year ago I think?) … I used to host a fishing and hunting television program. There are a million of these types of outdoors shows on the dish and cable. I was mixed up in the huge pile… not exactly top of the celebrity ladder… near the bottom actually.

But, still, I had people coming to MY GODDAM HOUSE and knocking on my door (about 2 - 3 times a week) and at nearly any time of the day and any day of the week. Drunk or sober. It was often mom or dad bringing their kids over for a picture or to ask me to sign something. Being rude to people and kicking them off your property is easier said than done.

I actually had to move and build my current house way the hell back in the bush, off the grid. And, I hosted a fishing show. I was not the drummer in Rush, or Genesis, Motley Crue, AC/DC, or Bon Jovi.

You can only imagine what he and others at his level of notoriety go through. I don’t blame him one bit for shying away from strangers. What I went through was about 1% of what he goes through. And, it was too much for me.

Hopefully, this will help some of you to understand why Neil (and MANY other celebs) feel the way he does. He doesn’t like the attention. He doesn’t “dislike” his fans. How could he? They pay for his BWM motorcycles and his home. Think about that…

• Like 6

You guys who believe its all about "beating traffic" are extremely gullible, ffs. Bottom line: Neil can't be bothered with being social after the show, so he gets the f out, asap. Why don't you see Ged or Alex breaking their neck to hop into a helicopter together? Because they've been unethically relegated by him to be responsible for the "social" aspect of touring. Ever since his return to Rush it's been his way, which is the highway. Very rude and unfair to both bandmates and fans.

Yeah...it's not like his whole world collapsed around him or something. :facepalm:

Just be glad he didn't pack it all in.

• Like 2

Hopefully, this will help some of you to understand why Neil (and MANY other celebs) feel the way he does. He doesn’t like the attention. He doesn’t “dislike” his fans. How could he? They pay for his BWM motorcycles and his home. Think about that…

I agree. When my daughter did her Make A Wish to meet Rush, Neil was actually the most social. He walked up to her and hugged her before he even said hello (she was crying though). He was very easy to talk to and laughed and joked around with her. Alex was also very easy to talk to. Geddy was actually a little harder, though he was still very nice and spent a lot of time with her. Neil didn't spend as much time with us as Alex and Geddy, and Geddy did tell us that the Wish was a little hard for him because of how cancer had touched his life, but he still spent a lot of time treating Sam like a queen. All three of them were very "regular guys".

• Like 7

I agree. When my daughter did her Make A Wish to meet Rush, Neil was actually the most social. He walked up to her and hugged her before he even said hello (she was crying though). He was very easy to talk to and laughed and joked around with her. Alex was also very easy to talk to. Geddy was actually a little harder, though he was still very nice and spent a lot of time with her. Neil didn't spend as much time with us as Alex and Geddy, and Geddy did tell us that the Wish was a little hard for him because of how cancer had touched his life, but he still spent a lot of time treating Sam like a queen. All three of them were very "regular guys".

That's the thing - they ARE "regular guys" who just happened to strike a chord in millions of people around the world. They're not Bono or Tommy Lee or Lady Gaga or Fred Durst or anyone else who is in it largely for an image that has already escaped them. Rush are men who have sold tractor parts or delivered pizzas or simply blended in with any one else on the street for much of their life.

And for the past x amount of years, they've had to pretend to be rock stars.

That's the thing - they ARE "regular guys" who just happened to strike a chord in millions of people around the world. They're not Bono or Tommy Lee or Lady Gaga or Fred Durst or anyone else who is in it largely for an image that has already escaped them. Rush are men who have sold tractor parts or delivered pizzas or simply blended in with any one else on the street for much of their life.

They want u to believe they are regular guys who think of everyone else as equals, when in fact they conciously (or subconciously) believe themselves to be superior in every way. When being nice or smiling, they are only patronizing or pitying you. Think about it- if ppl were always coming up to u that you've never met before, would you smile and be friendly, unless u had a ulterior motive towards them? You really think they want to meet old, unattractive, slack-jawed strangers with Rush shirts who say the same thing to them?

They want u to believe they are regular guys who think of everyone else as equals, when in fact they conciously (or subconciously) believe themselves to be superior in every way. When being nice or smiling, they are only patronizing or pitying you. Think about it- if ppl were always coming up to u that you've never met before, would you smile and be friendly, unless u had a ulterior motive towards them? You really think they want to meet old, unattractive, slack-jawed strangers with Rush shirts who say the same thing to them?

Are you joking? You are the most bizarre Rush fan. How sad your view of the world must be. I feel sorry for you.

:wtf:

I don't really think it's either extreme. They're hard-working perfectionists who are dedicated to their work, we know that. They've been in the spotlight too long to ever be able to fool themselves into thinking that they're normal guys in every way, I think that's been established. And all three of them have such different personalities that we can't judge all three by the opinions or actions of one, we know that as well. As a fan, I appreciate that they know where they stand as celebrities, but without going overboard and declaring themselves superior to all other humans. Sure we like to joke about them, but I think they've heard worse.

I don't really think it's either extreme. They're hard-working perfectionists who are dedicated to their work, we know that. They've been in the spotlight too long to ever be able to fool themselves into thinking that they're normal guys in every way, I think that's been established. And all three of them have such different personalities that we can't judge all three by the opinions or actions of one, we know that as well. As a fan, I appreciate that they know where they stand as celebrities, but without going overboard and declaring themselves superior to all other humans. Sure we like to joke about them, but I think they've heard worse.

You just lost GeminiRising79's respect. Listen and learn, do not participate with him. :notworthy:

My whole point in making the original post was, why doesn't he just walk to the back or at best jog? Security can be around him, etc. I know all about Neil being private, etc etc. What struck me was the sheer velocity with which he took off. It was damn near cartoonish.
  • Like 1

It would have been “cartoonish” if he had taken a wipe out running down those stairs!! He probably figures the quicker he can get to the bus, the quicker the bus can get out of the downtown area and onto the highway… away from traffic jams.

I was still pretty surprised to see him run THAT fast though… “Even faster than Britany and she ran full out!”

I wouldn't wanna deal with a bunch of fat gray-haired assholes telling me I haven't done anything worthwhile since 1982 either!

• Like 3

I wouldn't wanna deal with a bunch of fat gray-haired assholes telling me I haven't done anything worthwhile since 1982 either!

Who you calling fat? Haha

• Like 2