Thoughts from each member about each album?

SignalsGracePowerHold

Hi all! I'm a new poster, but have been a die hard Rush fan since for 30 years. One thing that I have always wanted to read, is what Geddy, Alex, and Neil each think in detail in retrospect on the development, writing, production, and feelings on each of their albums. I've heard a few things here and there from each of them, but I would like to know which records are each of their favorites and why, not just at the time of release, but in recent years. If course, the albums I'm most interested in hearing about are my favorites: Signals, Grace, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, and Roll The Bones. Thanks for your help!

Hi all! I'm a new poster, but have been a die hard Rush fan since for 30 years. One thing that I have always wanted to read, is what Geddy, Alex, and Neil each think in detail in retrospect on the development, writing, production, and feelings on each of their albums. I've heard a few things here and there from each of them, but I would like to know which records are each of their favorites and why, not just at the time of release, but in recent years. If course, the albums I'm most interested in hearing about are my favorites: Signals, Grace, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, and Roll The Bones. Thanks for your help!

Welcome :cheers: :d13: :rollingouttheredcarpet:

Welcome! What you will typically hear from all three is that the most recent is their favorite... whichever the most recent was at the time of the interview. They are always looking ahead.
  • Like 1

geddy named his top 4 rush albums as 2112, moving pictures, power windows and clockwork angels

One of these things is not like the others.

• Like 3

They all initially love the newest release and think it's some of their best work. Later they start to dislike or even become embarrassed by some of the material (even fan favorites sometimes). I think the best way to determine what they like as a group is to review what they have played on tours except the mandatory hits.

from what I know, all three like Permenant Waves and Moving Pics the best. Both Ged and Neil really like Power Windows and Geddy was always fond of RTB.

Geddy dislikes Signals, GUP, Presto and Counterparts. He also describes Test For Echo as "a weird record". Alex dislikes the mid '80s material because he was buried behind the keyboards and Counterparts because of the lyrics. He also thought they put too many layers of guitar on Snakes. Neil dismisses all the '70s material as immature kid's play. He also really likes Power Windows. I think all three were happy with Clockwork and all three wish they had a re-do on Presto because some of the songs "could have been fleshed out more"

• Like 2

I 'll go with the Rush Starman System:

RUSH : 2 Starmen

Fly By Night: 3 Starmen

Caress of Steel: 2 starmen

2112: 5 Starmen

A Farewell to Kings: 4 Starmen

Hemispheres: 5 Starmen

Permanent Waves: 5 Starmen

Moving Pictures: 5 Starmen

Signals: 5 Starmen

Grace Under Pressure: 4 Starmen