Favorite Neil Peart Drumset...

agubrizbassman

Which was the kit he had for Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves? Anyway, that one.

Agreed. I was just listening to Permanent Waves on vinyl today and thinking of how much clarity the drums had.

• Like 2

Which was the kit he had for Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves? Anyway, that one.

Probably the Tamas, I think that picture of him on the lake was when they were recording Moving Pictures.

• Like 2

How could Neil find himself anywhere near that guy?

They same way none of us fine ourselves anywhere near you! Well except for maybe Mr. IsNot a great carnoisseur of modern drumming.

:bitchslap:

The first time I was sure it was a typo, but now I guess it really is necessary to ask.

Do you mean to say: "connoisseur"?

Wow! Why all the hate for MP?

Dude is actually a really decent guy.

ever since he got kicked out of DT people have hated him with a passion, not really sure why. he's a loudmouth who tweets his every thought, but nobody hates on other rockers for being the same way.

and then there's that part of the DT fanbase who like to act like portnoy leaving the band saved them, when they're STILL putting out the same record over and over. I think just the fact that he wanted a hiatus was enough to piss off the DT fans who like hearing the same songs every two years, and the idea that they might not get to hear another 20 minute song that's structured exactly the same as all their other 20 minute songs was really scary.

Probably the Tamas, I think that picture of him on the lake was when they were recording Moving Pictures.

http://andrewolson.c...ng_pictures.htm

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/neil_images/mp_neil_small.jpg

• Drums: Tama in Rosewood finish with "Vibra-Fibing"; wooden timbales instead of metal; tympani and gong replaced with Tama "gong bass drums"

• Used from 1980 - 1981

• Cymbals: Avedis Zildjian, Wuhan (China type)

• Sticks: Pro-Mark 747 wood tip

• 5.5x14 Slingerland Artist Snare w/Copper Wrap - 3-ply Shell w/8 lugs

• Drum tech: Larry Allen

Used to record and tour:

• Permanent Waves

• Moving Pictures

"I am still releasing my hostilities on Tama drums, all with wooden shells, and the inner side 'Vibra-Fibed.' The bass drums are 24", the toms are 6, 8, 10, 12" concerts, and 12, 13, 15, and 18" closed toms. I am still using my 'old faithful' wood-shell snare, a 5 1/2 x 14 Slingerland, and have recently made a switch to wooden timbales, and retired my tympani and gong in favor of a pair of Tama 'gong bass drums,' which are open-ended bass drums on a stand, utilizing oversize heads to give a very deep, resonant sound.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

At a Glance:

• Drums: Tama Art Star "prototype" in Candy Apple Red finish with "Vibra-Fibing"
  • Used from 1982 - 1985

Used to record and tour:

• Signals
  • Grace Under Pressure
  • Power Windows

"Well, well! Hello again for another tour! (This is getting to be habit forming!) I've got some new drums to tell you about. Once again, they are Tamas; with the custom candy-apple red finish, the brass plated hardware, and the Vibra-Fibing of the inner shells performed by the Percussion Center of Fort Wayne. The sizes remain the same: two 24" bass drums, 6", 8", 10", and 12" concert toms, 12", 13", 15", and 18" closed toms, and 20" and 22" gong bass drums. My snare is still the same old wood-shell Slingerland, and I am using the Tama wooden timbales with great satisfaction.

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/images/neil_d6.jpg

"With the exception of the trashy Chinese cymbal, all my cymbals are by Avedis Zildjian. They are: 8" and 10" splash, 13" High Hats, two 16" crashes, one each 18" and 20" crash, a 22" ride, an 18" Pang, and a 20" China Type.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

At a Glance:

• Drums: Tama Art Star "prototype" in Candy Apple Red finish with "Vibra-Fibing"
  • Used from 1982 - 1985

Used to record and tour:

• Signals
  • Grace Under Pressure
  • Power Windows

"Well, well! Hello again for another tour! (This is getting to be habit forming!) I've got some new drums to tell you about. Once again, they are Tamas; with the custom candy-apple red finish, the brass plated hardware, and the Vibra-Fibing of the inner shells performed by the Percussion Center of Fort Wayne. The sizes remain the same: two 24" bass drums, 6", 8", 10", and 12" concert toms, 12", 13", 15", and 18" closed toms, and 20" and 22" gong bass drums. My snare is still the same old wood-shell Slingerland, and I am using the Tama wooden timbales with great satisfaction.

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/images/neil_d6.jpg

"With the exception of the trashy Chinese cymbal, all my cymbals are by Avedis Zildjian. They are: 8" and 10" splash, 13" High Hats, two 16" crashes, one each 18" and 20" crash, a 22" ride, an 18" Pang, and a 20" China Type.

Yeah, that's a classic kit, and it's the one I most identify with Neil.

I liked the kit he used for a farewell to kings. Also moving pictures and signals. The classic kit for me is the 30th anniversy kit. Basically I like every kit from a farewell to kings and after. The earlier kits (for example, fly by night) seem too small after knowing how much percussion he likes to use.

What I like even better then the drum kits themselves are the drum beats neil plays on them. Me being a drummer myself, I always like listening to and studying Neil's parts from the songs. I also like his drum solos that he does live. For drummers that is probely the highlight of the show.

I think the drum sounds on Caress of Steel are fantastic… MUCH better than on 2112, where you can barely hear the small concert toms. (They sound like they are covered in blankets or something.) That set was the Slingerland “Chromey” set up.

Again, favourite set was the black Slingerlands he used from 77 – 79… GREAT sound and look. Black drums look cool under the stage lights.

We don’t hear about Gretsch drums much anymore… I played them from ’81 – ’85 and liked them very much. Mine were made from maple wood.

• Like 1

I think the drum sounds on Caress of Steel are fantastic… MUCH better than on 2112, where you can barely hear the small concert toms. (They sound like they are covered in blankets or something.) That set was the Slingerland “Chromey” set up.

Again, favourite set was the black Slingerlands he used from 77 – 79… GREAT sound and look. Black drums look cool under the stage lights.

We don’t hear about Gretsch drums much anymore… I played them from ’81 – ’85 and liked them very much. Mine were made from maple wood.

It's too bad that DW seems to have taken over the drum market.

It's too bad that DW seems to have taken over the drum market.

Neil's played a big role in that. They are remarkably well constructed, and are simply beautiful. I had a cherry finish set, with the gold hardware. I was just not crazy about the sound, and sold it (at a profit :P ) Looked like this...

http://www.dwdrums.com/images/drums/toms/coll-so-cherry-lrg.jpg

I guess it’s true that the production (microphones and effects, et cetera) of a drum would ultimately make the sound good or not so good in a recorded setting. But, the DWs, for me, just don’t sound good at all. I played an acoustic set a couple years ago just for fun and I really didn’t like them. I was at a friend’s house and he still had his old Tama Imperial Star set from a million years ago and they sounded better in my opinion.

I also played an old set of Rogers and one of Yamaha (not sure what models) recently and they both sounded so good… especially the Yamaha tenor toms. Unreal sound.

• Like 2

not a fan of DW at all, Id take old ludwigs or slingers over em anyday. and I hate hate hate their lugs. look like stupid lollipops