Favorite Bass Geddy Used

agubrizbassman

What is your favorite bass that Geddy Has Used, if you want to specify by model number that would be great, but you don't have to...

In the past few weeks i've been starting to lean on the Wal MKI and MKII, that he used from Power Windows-Roll The Bones, i just really like the overall tone of it and ive been try to get that tone on my bass for a while now...

So whats your favorite?

-the famous 72 Jazz Bass, his "2112" Custom Shop Jazz Bass, Rickenbacker 4080/12?

It's not the sh*ty sounding one he used on Hold Your Fire. I think the model was :soundsliketotalsh*t: :ph34r:

It's not the sh*ty sounding one he used on Hold Your Fire. I think the model was :soundsliketotalsh*t: :ph34r:

Well it is, in my opinion i think it gives a good tone on the albums like The Big Money on PW and Roll The Bones

Well it is, in my opinion i think it gives a good tone on the albums like The Big Money on PW and Roll The Bones

You think it is the best sounding bass? :huh:

You think it is the best sounding bass? :huh:

Its all a matter of opinion, i do really like his Ric tone though during AFTK tour and i think the Jazz tone on the Vapor Trails tour is pretty sick, i just really like the Wal :yes: :geddy:

I love them all so much, but I would have to go with the Rickenbacker. I wish he would use it live every once in awhile!
  • Like 1

I liked every bass he used except for the Steinberger...but if I had to pick it'd definitely would be his black Rickenbacker 4001. That Ricky looked cool as f**k! One of these days I hope to get either a black Rickenbacker or his sig model bass that Fender sells.
  • Like 1

I liked every bass he used except for the Steinberger...but if I had to pick it'd definitely would be his black Rickenbacker 4001. That Ricky looked cool as f**k! One of these days I hope to get either a black Rickenbacker or his sig model bass that Fender sells.

Is the Steinberger the sh*ty sounding one from the Hold Your Fire era?..... :huh: :D-13:

Is the Steinberger the sh*ty sounding one from the Hold Your Fire era?..... :huh: :D-13:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/books/bass-player-11.1988/bass-player-11.1988-2-s.jpg

In one of the vids in the Magical Bass Tour thread he remarks about his hair from that era as well, in response to "Any fashion moves you regret?". Ged refers to it as his racoon hat look.

I have to say my favorite tone is the Ric by far. Geddy could play a string and washtub and it would still sound good. My least favorite would be the Wal. They're very well-built basses but they're just kind of generic sounding to me. The Jazz is good too but it just doesn't have the character of the Ric.
  • Like 1

The Ric 4001 sounded great the way he ran it with the Ric-O-Sound. Now with the Jazz he can get that same sound. Technology is awesome.

The Ric is like playing a telephone pole compared the the Fender Jazz (I own both) so I can see why, once technology caught up with him, he went to the Jazz bass.

For pure tone? The Ric.

The Ric 4001 sounded great the way he ran it with the Ric-O-Sound. Now with the Jazz he can get that same sound. Technology is awesome.

The Ric is like playing a telephone pole compared the the Fender Jazz (I own both) so I can see why, once technology caught up with him, he went to the Jazz bass.

That is a cop-out, imo. It all comes down to money.

What's a cop-out? What do you mean?

:huh:

His decision to drop the Rick for the Fender was financially motivated.

Couldn't disagree more. After all of this you think he's going to compromise himself musically for a paycheck?

I play the Fender Jazz and the Ric. Fender? Easiest bass ever to play. Ric? Not so much.

Looks cool as hell and the sound is great! I can get the same tone from my Fender. Live, I play the Fender for most of the show and break out the Ric as a novelty piece for the really old tunes.

• Like 2

Couldn't disagree more. After all of this you think he's going to compromise himself musically for a paycheck?

I play the Fender Jazz and the Ric. Fender? Easiest bass ever to play. Ric? Not so much.

Looks cool as hell and the sound is great! I can get the same tone from my Fender. Live, I play the Fender for most of the show and break out the Ric as a novelty piece for the really old tunes.

Yeah, I have to agree. I love Ricks, I had one for years, and now I have a Jazz, and the Jazz is much easier to play. Plus it has a bottom end the Rick could never quite pull off. The only tone I have a hard time replicating is the Rick with a plectrum sound/the Chris Squire. There's something about the way the picked note sounds on a Rick that makes it the only bass in the world I ever use a pick on.

He/They've already compromised on many levels. Utilizing newer instruments/technologies that makes things easy to play, while at the same time compromising the sound/character of their music? Bullshit, imo. Revisit high standards, or retire already.

Edited by GeminiRising79