Analog Kid, New World Man, Digital Man

Geddy's Soul Patch

My cousin, a huge Rush fan, once told me that the lyrics to The Analog Kid, New World Man, and Digital Man were based off of Alex, Neil, and Geddy respectively. I have done a fair amount of searching on the internet to try to confirm this and I have come up with nothing. Can any tell me if there is any shred of truth to this? Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1

The one about Neil was the lost, deep cut gem....... It was recorded during the sessions for Fly By Night but I heard will be coming out on the :rush: album redo .... Monotonous Man.... :D-13:
  • Like 1

They call me the working man, I guess that's what I am.

Working Man was Rutsey and Cinderella Man was Eddie Van Halen who refused to join! He was called Cinderella Man because he smoked so much he was known as Cinders...

Awesome! Five (now six) tongue-in-cheek comments without anything close to a straight answer!

Well, I've been a RUSH fan since before Signals came out and I've never heard this story and rather than coming straight out and saying "NO!" I figured I'd say something silly.

It's not that I'm 100% sure it's bullshit.. it's just that in my 34 years of being a RUSH fan this is the first time I've come across something like this.

(in other words.. if you were a personal friend of mine and came to me with this story I'm give you a *cough* BULLSHIT *cough*.. but since I don't know the OP I wanted to be somewhat tactful)

• Like 1

Awesome! Five (now six) tongue-in-cheek comments without anything close to a straight answer!

That should tell you something about your cousin's information. ;)

I once heard almost the same thing, except that Geddy was said to be the Analog Kid, Alex the Digital Man and Neil the New World Man. I've never seen anything to confirm this and I strongly doubt it's true, but I always thought it was kind of a fun idea.
  • Like 1

I thought the point of this post was to say that they are all awesome songs. I can agree to that. The Analog Kid and New World Man are two of my all time favorites.

I have never heard that connection, but it is an intersting hypothesis.

Well, I've been a RUSH fan since before Signals came out and I've never heard this story and rather than coming straight out and saying "NO!" I figured I'd say something silly.

It's not that I'm 100% sure it's bullshit.. it's just that in my 34 years of being a RUSH fan this is the first time I've come across something like this.

(in other words.. if you were a personal friend of mine and came to me with this story I'm give you a *cough* BULLSHIT *cough*.. but since I don't know the OP I wanted to be somewhat tactful)

I wasn't busting your chops at all; I genuinely thought it was hilarious and a mark of the Forum that there're so many sarcastic answers. It's to be expected, almost, and thus keeps things light and lively.

Eventually a decent answer will make its way into the thread.

In interviews it's been mentioned that Analog Kid is inspired by Neil's youth (the 'fawn eyed girl' being a girl he was in love with at 14), and 'Digital Man' was inspired by a phrase someone said when Le Studio was being booked ('We won't need a bed for the digital man'). New World Man was recorded as an album filler- it was known as 'Project 3:57' at first. Not sure what the lyrics were inspired by on that one, though.

This is kind of like the time my brother-in-law told me he figured out "Bytor and The Snow Dog". The ending riffs of the "battle section", (you know before the slow part) is suppose to mimic the song sturcture of "Bingo" (you kno the B-I-N-G-O part) Any truth to that?

My cousin, a huge Rush fan, once told me that the lyrics to The Analog Kid, New World Man, and Digital Man were based off of Alex, Neil, and Geddy respectively. I have done a fair amount of searching on the internet to try to confirm this and I have come up with nothing. Can any tell me if there is any shred of truth to this?

Your cousin sounds like a real dipshit!!

• Like 5

In interviews it's been mentioned that Analog Kid is inspired by Neil's youth (the 'fawn eyed girl' being a girl he was in love with at 14), and 'Digital Man' was inspired by a phrase someone said when Le Studio was being booked ('We won't need a bed for the digital man'). New World Man was recorded as an album filler- it was known as 'Project 3:57' at first. Not sure what the lyrics were inspired by on that one, though.

The piece was known as “Project 3:57″ during the recording period because the band had that much time to fill on the album before they could call the album done. “What it really boiled down to was that we’d worked so hard getting all these slick sounds that we were all in the mood to put something down that was spontaneous. In the end, the whole song took one day to write and record. It’s good to put together something like that.”—Geddy
  • Like 1

My cousin, a huge Rush fan, once told me that the lyrics to The Analog Kid, New World Man, and Digital Man were based off of Alex, Neil, and Geddy respectively. I have done a fair amount of searching on the internet to try to confirm this and I have come up with nothing. Can any tell me if there is any shred of truth to this?

Your cousin sounds like a real dipshit!!

I can't stop smiling like an idiot about this post

• Like 1

Don't know about the other two....but I have the inside scoop that one day outside of the SRO office in Toronto some nutcase Rush fan chained himself to the gate and threatened to start cutting off his fingers one at a time unless they met his demands.

He was the "Digital Man".

Back in the day (the old farts say) the rumors were that Geddy was shooting up heroine and that Neil was 41. This was 1982 when I first saw them live. That would make Neil in 70s and Geddy dead from an overdose. Don't listen to rumors.