Hentor Sportscaster Switching Question

MarkScudder

On 6/7/2022 at 10:00 PM, Brad737 said:

I realize this topic is ancient. But I’m a bit stumped. The wiring diagram above isn’t visible, but I found this one online. Is it the same?

8amO2BP.png

I’ve wired up a few guitars in my day, but I’m certainly no expert. First of all, what pot values do you all use?  Since I’ll probably spend 99% of my time on the bridge pickup, I’m assuming a pair of 500k pots are the way to go. Next, what value cap do you suggest for the tone pot?  Lastly, using the 3-way toggle, is there a way to add a 250k resistor so the single coils only see 250k?

Thanks,

Brad

Further thoughts on adding resistors to your Hentor project circuitry: Fralin Pickups posted a nifty illustration which may offer some illumination on wiring a resistor so that it sees 250k (scroll down to 'FAKING OUT YOUR SINGLE COILS WITH RESISTORS'): https://www.fralinpickups.com/2018/10/17/using-resistors-in-guitars-101/

The illustration depicts a Tele, with a humbucker in the neck position, so it's reverse that of a Sportscaster.  But it does nicely show where to install a 470kOhm resistor.  (The illustration shows 500k, but it'd really be a 470k, which is the standard).

As mentioned above by Freddy himself, the pickup selector switch is configured: bridge (down position); middle/neck (middle position); neck (up position).  So, if you soldered a resistor for both neck and middle single coils (i.e., one for each), they'd sound a bit darker with the toggle in the middle position, as both resistors would be acting in the circuit (which could be compensated by using a lower resistance capacitor on the middle pickup--or simply not installing a resistor on the middle pickup--as it is always used in conjunction with the neck pickup, if one uses the aforementioned switch configuration).

I see Fralin offers 500k resistors on their site.  You can readily acquire them via Mouser, or any number of sources.  Back in the day, you could visit your local Radio Shack for these.  If you do install resistors, avoid those made of ceramic, as they're less robust.  Go for carbon film resistors.  You could even use metal film resistors, but carbon is sufficient.

Edited by dream & vapour
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 12:51 AM, dream & vapour said:

Further thoughts on adding resistors to your Hentor project circuitry: Fralin Pickups posted a nifty illustration which may offer some illumination on wiring a resistor so that it sees 250k (scroll down to 'FAKING OUT YOUR SINGLE COILS WITH RESISTORS'): https://www.fralinpickups.com/2018/10/17/using-resistors-in-guitars-101/

The illustration depicts a Tele, with a humbucker in the neck position, so it's reverse that of a Sportscaster.  But it does nicely show where to install a 470kOhm resistor.  (The illustration shows 500k, but it'd really be a 470k, which is the standard).

As mentioned above by Freddy himself, the pickup selector switch is configured: bridge (down position); middle/neck (middle position); neck (up position).  So, if you soldered a resistor for both neck and middle single coils (i.e., one for each), they'd sound a bit darker with the toggle in the middle position, as both resistors would be acting in the circuit (which could be compensated by using a lower resistance capacitor on the middle pickup--or simply not installing a resistor on the middle pickup--as it is always used in conjunction with the neck pickup, if one uses the aforementioned switch configuration).

I see Fralin offers 500k resistors on their site.  You can readily acquire them via Mouser, or any number of sources.  Back in the day, you could visit your local Radio Shack for these.  If you do install resistors, avoid those made of ceramic, as they're less robust.  Go for carbon film resistors.  You could even use metal film resistors, but carbon is sufficient.

Thanks for the input!  Im going to swap in a set of 500k pots. I ordered some carbon film resistors. I think it’s a good idea to only use one resistor on the neck pickup. I’m using two Dimarzio FS-1s for the single coils. The middle pickup is RW/RP.  My guitar currently has a double-cream L500L, but I’m thinking of replacing it with a black one. Honestly, I think the black one will look better, even though cream is “correct”.  
Thanks,

Brad

0VBEURD.jpg