Rush: The Greatest Band Ever!!!!

workingcinderellaman

Are you talking about my osteochondroma which grows on my right fibula? Or my exostosis? My frequent battle with siatica? My resulting back problems?

Or my status as a die hard Toto fan?

Coz I love Toto...and those legs are amazing! Love me some Toto...

Toto is one of the most underrated bands ever. Probably cause they were too main stream. I own all their albums and like Saga I haven't seen them live yet cause they never come down to Miami. The only time they've came down as of late was on the same night as RUSH.

Guess who won out?

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

I used to post in here when I first joined TRF but after a while it gets a bit dull discussing how much you like Rush. That being said, I thought I would dedicate this post to how awesome Rush truly is. I can't think of any other ban in history that has consistently produced quality original music for almost fifty years now. They have adapted, changed and remained an influential band that doesn't have to rely on old hits from the seventies to preform live. I honestly can't think of any other band that can do or has done what Rush has accomplished.

I spend most of my time here in SOCN because I like to read posts from informed, intelligent people. Sometimes I forget that I'm on a forum dedicated to a rock band. I believe that the depth of Rush is revealed in its fan base.

Long live Rush and long live TRF!

:cheers:

This is absolutely true- I also can't think of a band that has produced consistently great music over that long of a time span, and every member of the band maintaining such consistently fantastic musicianship. If I may speak frankly, normally when you see a band that has reached a certain age, it's almost always the case that one or two of its members are being propped up by the others. But not so with Rush. Maybe it has helped that they have always been a trio- just three members, instead of five or six. With Rush, I think it's also their singularity of focus and purpose that has kept them going, and kept them vital. There are times that they definitely could have hung it up, in the past. I'm eternally grateful that they haven't; that we still get to talk about them in the present tense, and still go to their shows, and still have the opportunity to buy "the new Rush album", every time they put one out.

Great thread!

• Like 2

I used to post in here when I first joined TRF but after a while it gets a bit dull discussing how much you like Rush. That being said, I thought I would dedicate this post to how awesome Rush truly is. I can't think of any other ban in history that has consistently produced quality original music for almost fifty years now. They have adapted, changed and remained an influential band that doesn't have to rely on old hits from the seventies to preform live. I honestly can't think of any other band that can do or has done what Rush has accomplished.

I spend most of my time here in SOCN because I like to read posts from informed, intelligent people. Sometimes I forget that I'm on a forum dedicated to a rock band. I believe that the depth of Rush is revealed in its fan base.

Long live Rush and long live TRF!

:cheers:

At times I am not so sure it doesn't take a higher level of intelligence to stay out of the SOCN....... :cool:
  • Like 1

Toto is one of the most underrated bands ever. Probably cause they were too main stream. I own all their albums and like Saga I haven't seen them live yet cause they never come down to Miami. The only time they've came down as of late was on the same night as RUSH.

Guess who won out?

Rush every single time!

Glad someone else agrees. And to be honest, there is nothing wrong with mainstream music. Members of Yes went on to form Asia, and in all honesty, they sound like Toto but are very inferior.

Toto writw quality pop, but their rock contributions are hardly laughable. Falling In Between is better than any recent Rush album aside from CA, and I would take Tambu and Kingdom Of Desire over ANY of the 90's Rush releases.

And Fahrenheit is a glorious jazz inspired rnb, rock album, and is possibly my favourite album of the '80's, bar none! It even features Miles Davis.

I love Rush's '80's work as a whole more than any other band/artist of the era, but Fahrenheit is by far one of the best pop albums I have ever heard, and I would rank it with the greats. Just my crazy, crazy opinion.

And I couldn't care less what anybody else thinks, because Steve Lukather is one of the finest guitarists in history, and his humble response to much of his own bands errors are a real joy in a genre well renowned for pompous boasting.

Rush every single time, but bands like Toto, Saga, Styx and Foreigner have there place in any decent music collection.

• Like 1

Lets not forget that Steve Lukather actually played with Asia on "Days like These". Another band I'm glad you mentioned on that fine collection is Saga. Who now celebrates their 20th studio album and an incredible Live album as well. Oh did I mention Zebra too? Edited by losingit2k

Guess who won out?

Rush every single time!

Glad someone else agrees. And to be honest, there is nothing wrong with mainstream music. Members of Yes went on to form Asia, and in all honesty, they sound like Toto but are very inferior.

Toto writw quality pop, but their rock contributions are hardly laughable. Falling In Between is better than any recent Rush album aside from CA, and I would take Tambu and Kingdom Of Desire over ANY of the 90's Rush releases.

And Fahrenheit is a glorious jazz inspired rnb, rock album, and is possibly my favourite album of the '80's, bar none! It even features Miles Davis.

I love Rush's '80's work as a whole more than any other band/artist of the era, but Fahrenheit is by far one of the best pop albums I have ever heard, and I would rank it with the greats. Just my crazy, crazy opinion.

And I couldn't care less what anybody else thinks, because Steve Lukather is one of the finest guitarists in history, and his humble response to much of his own bands errors are a real joy in a genre well renowned for pompous boasting.

Rush every single time, but bands like Toto, Saga, Styx and Foreigner have there place in any decent music collection.

Lets not forget that Steve Lukather actually played with Asia on "Days like These". Another band I'm glad you mentioned on that fine collection is Saga. Who now celebrates their 20th studio album and an incredible Live album as well. Oh did I mention Zebra too?

There are actually many great 80's band that have been marginalized because they were from the 80's. Journey, Zebra, Triumph, Whitesnake just to mention a few. Hell, Whitesnake's last album was great! The 80's even marginalized several major bands as well just cause they changed to accommodate the 80's. Rush, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd all had albums and songs in the 80's and 90's that should have been considered greater than they were.

Edited by losingit2k

Certainly one of the best bands in history, imo, despite their newer music devaluing the entire catalog.

You might feel better if you do as I do. Pretend nothing musically happened after 1985...... :)
  • Like 1

Certainly one of the best bands in history, imo, despite their newer music devaluing the entire catalog.

You might feel better if you do as I do. Pretend nothing musically happened after 1985...... :)

Me, post Power Windows circa 1985'.......

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/watchobs/DCIM/Ostrichheadinsand.jpg

• Like 3

But that would dismiss a lot of rewarding stuff!

There is no character in their music anymore. It is lifeless and unidimensional.

I'd hardly call Clockwork Angels a unidimensional album. But it's your opinion, not mine.

• Like 2

But that would dismiss a lot of rewarding stuff!

There is no character in their music anymore. It is lifeless and unidimensional.

I'd hardly call Clockwork Angels a unidimensional album. But it's your opinion, not mine.

Based on my listening experience of Rush (from the late 70s), this is my observation/opinion of the newer material. I am appalled at how "homogeneric" it is.

What on earth does "homogeneric" mean?

And CA may not quite hit the highest heights of seventies amd eighties Rush, but it is without a doubt one of the finest albums of recent years. If this is the sound of a band forty years in the business, I think the band should be applauded.

For the twentieth album to match up favourably to early career highs and established classics in the eyes of both the media and the fanbase is even more incredible.

So anyone who strongly dismisses CA for being "homogeneric" is entitled to their own opinion (as am I), but I do feel sorry for them, as they are really missing out!

Still,, at the end of the day, not every album is going to appeal to every single fan...

• Like 1

And CA may not quite hit the highest heights of seventies amd eighties Rush, but it is without a doubt one of the finest albums of recent years. If this is the sound of a band forty years in the business, I think the band should be applauded.

For the twentieth album to match up favourably to early career highs and established classics in the eyes of both the media and the fanbase is even more incredible.

So anyone who strongly dismisses CA for being "homogeneric" is entitled to their own opinion (as am I), but I do feel sorry for them, as they are really missing out!

Still,, at the end of the day, not every album is going to appeal to every single fan...

Posts like this make me wonder why you don't display such sensibleness on a regular basis.

Posts like this make me wonder why you don't display such sensibleness on a regular basis.

Well, I am working on it! (Plus I feel a little more confident sticking up for my opinion without having to joke and apologise!)

The last few albums have lacked melody to me. Fine musicianship on them but very little melody. Not just vocal melody but instrumental melody.

Geddy was talking in an interview from a while ago and spoke of how his "heroes" influenced him. He used the word melody like it really meant something. It is what drew me to play bass guitar as a young lad. The melody that the bass in Rush had was so fresh, new and exciting.

Lately, as great as his playing is, it lacks that melody. His vocal lines and bass playing are very tight and restrictive as far as the range of notes he's playing in.

I may not be describing it well but that is what is making it so hard for me to love the newer stuff.

There! I said it.

The last few albums have lacked melody to me. Fine musicianship on them but very little melody. Not just vocal melody but instrumental melody.

Geddy was talking in an interview from a while ago and spoke of how his "heroes" influenced him. He used the word melody like it really meant something. It is what drew me to play bass guitar as a young lad. The melody that the bass in Rush had was so fresh, new and exciting.

Lately, as great as his playing is, it lacks that melody. His vocal lines and bass playing are very tight and restrictive as far as the range of notes he's playing in.

I may not be describing it well but that is what is making it so hard for me to love the newer stuff.

There! I said it.

I agree about about Vapor Trails lacking melody and too a certain extent S&A. But there was melodies and hooks all over CA. It was just buried under god awful production.

Mick