Rush: The Greatest Band Ever!!!!

workingcinderellaman

I used to post in here when I first joined TRF but after a while it gets a bit dull discussing how much you like Rush. That being said, I thought I would dedicate this post to how awesome Rush truly is. I can't think of any other ban in history that has consistently produced quality original music for almost fifty years now. They have adapted, changed and remained an influential band that doesn't have to rely on old hits from the seventies to preform live. I honestly can't think of any other band that can do or has done what Rush has accomplished.

I spend most of my time here in SOCN because I like to read posts from informed, intelligent people. Sometimes I forget that I'm on a forum dedicated to a rock band. I believe that the depth of Rush is revealed in its fan base.

Long live Rush and long live TRF!

:cheers:

• Like 13

Rush, the Greatest Band?

I can't say I disagree...The Beatles come close...

...I finally got round to hearing Yes today...they are blowing me away absolutely!

But Rush are genuinely worth getting bored talking about. A Farewell To Kings says it all in my opinion...

Rush, the Greatest Band?

I can't say I disagree...The Beatles come close...

...I finally got round to hearing Yes today...they are blowing me away absolutely!

But Rush are genuinely worth getting bored talking about. A Farewell To Kings says it all in my opinion...

Just started listening to Yes? Get 12 albums and cloud usage of the MP3s now for about $5.50/cd:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Studio-Albums-1969-1987-Yes/dp/B00FAQW2RS/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I plan to asap, money a wee bit tight atm!

I think Rush have stiff competition...

Music isn't a competition . Yes are amazing in their own way. Rush had the hard rock element. Yes not so much. Both bands are among the elite .

• Like 4

Music isn't a competition . Yes are amazing in their own way. Rush had the hard rock element. Yes not so much. Both bands are among the elite .

I wholeheartedly agree...but I am sadly one of those very strange people who is obsessed with lists and categories. It's how my mind works, very obsessive!

I wholeheartedly agree...but I am sadly one of those very strange people who is obsessed with lists and categories. It's how my mind works, very obsessive!

I would say that , because of all the lineup changes that Yes had, Rush was/is the more consistently brilliant band then.

• Like 1

ah, you goob/portnoy types

I would say that , because of all the lineup changes that Yes had, Rush was/is the more consistently brilliant band then.

rush have aged better and adapted with the times better

Absolutley.

Absolutley.

plus, and I know lots of folks here might disagree, but rush have actually had great albums after 1980, unlike yes

• Like 1

They not only look great, they sound great, still put on a good show and have new relevant material. Aerosmith is the only other band I could say lives up to that kind of longevity.

Sorry, this forum is for criticisms only.

Sorry. Alex is fat, Geddy can't sing and Neil is rude. Better?

The only difference between Rush and the fans now is that the fan's air-drum better than anybody.

The band's best quality, IMO, is their uniqueness. It is impossible to define or describe Rush in terms of any other band. They've made their own unique sound, and that is a major accomplishment in the Rock & Roll world, where the vast majority of bands are basically copycatting past bands.

On a personal level, the band's music and lyrics have inspired, amazed, and entertained me to no end. For me, there is Rush.....and then Everyone Else. I listen to plenty of bands in the "Everyone Else" category, but Rush stands far above them.....and I LIKE it that way...... :haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 3

Totally agree - BEST band ever! But, I'll go one step further... from AFTK through MP is the best four album stretch of RECORDED music ever. Just happens to be by the best band ever... Rush.
  • Like 1

Totally agree - BEST band ever! But, I'll go one step further... from AFTK through MP is the best four album stretch of RECORDED music ever. Just happens to be by the best band ever... Rush.

Not hard to argue with this! But Signals through to Power Windows is very close in quality, and I would argue the bands golden era started with 2112 (but peaked early with AFTK).

• Like 1

Not hard to argue with this! But Signals through to Power Windows is very close in quality, and I would argue the bands golden era started with 2112 (but peaked early with AFTK).

I actually disagree. Apart from Closer to the Heart and Xanadu, I feel A Farewell to Kings is rather bland. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy. Whatever. Just don't take my Rush card!

AFTK doesn't seem to be many peoples favourite, but I prefer it to Hemispheres. I think it's perfect, especially the title track!

Keep your Rush card, mine might be counterfeit...

I actually disagree. Apart from Closer to the Heart and Xanadu, I feel A Farewell to Kings is rather bland. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy. Whatever. Just don't take my Rush card!

You aren't alone. I rank AFTK pretty low on the list, though it has some great songs on it, it's just kinda lackluster as a whole.

My two cents: My dad got me hooked to these guys at the age of 6. Since then it's been the same: I'm still hooked, and I got to see them for the first time right before my 10th birthday during the R30 tour. Unfortunately I had to miss the Vapor Trails tour cause of school, but the R30 tour was amazing. The guys were on top form, and almost 10 years later I see them for the 7th time, only this time, on the Clockwork Angels tour, and just like the R30 tour, they were on fire, age be damned. Alex melted everyone's faces, Neil practically destroyed his kit, and Geddy sang wonderfully, and I didn't hear any vocal missteps throughout the entire night, granted it was also the last night of the tour in Kansas City so it was their chance to empty the tanks and fire on all cylinders. I was almost in a daze after watching them rip through Grand Finale.

More than anything, I love these guys because they possess the live performance capabilities unmatched by any other band except MAYBE Led Zeppelin in '73 before Page's addictions. 30 song setlists, no BS opening acts, a stage setup that blows any sh***y pop "artist" concert out of the water, and the pure musicianship of 3 nerdy fellows who deliver time and time again. I find myself listening to their live albums more than their studio albums, particularly Rush in Rio and R30, and most recently the CA one, which matches the fire the other two have.

Apart from their unmatched live performances, they have the uncanny ability to stay relevant in the music industry decade after decade. Their albums will always sell, and unlike some of their musical peers (fake-Yes, Styx, and who even cares about Tull anymore), when they release an album, it stands up tall next the music released at the time, without sounding dated.

I'm out.

/mic drop

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 2