The "Yes" Appreciation Thread: For Those Who Are Just Beginning...

Segue Myles

I'll go with this.

Yes -- 8/10

Time and a Word -- 9/10

The Yes Album -- 11/10

Fragile -- 7/10

Close to the Edge -- 8/10

Yessongs -- 6/10

Tales from Topographic Oceans -- 9/10

Relayer -- 11/10

Going for the One -- 6/10

Tormato -- 6/10

Drama -- 10/10

Yesshows -- 8/10

90125 -- 10/10

Big Generator -- 9/10

Union -- 7/10

Talk -- 10/10

Keys to Ascension -- 8/10 (I was at these shows... they didn't need to overdub so damn much of it!)

Keys to Ascension 2 -- 7/10

Open Your Eyes -- 1/10 (Sold it back)

The Ladder -- 8/10

Magnification -- 8/10

House of Yes 1999 - 8/10

The Word Is Live - 9/10

Something's Coming: BBC Sessions 8/10

Don't have yet.

Fly from Here

Heaven & Earth

I'll go with this.

Yes -- 8/10

Time and a Word -- 9/10

The Yes Album -- 11/10

Fragile -- 7/10

Yessongs -- 6/10

Relayer -- 11/10

Tormato -- 6/10

Drama -- 10/10

Yesshows -- 8/10

90125 -- 10/10

Big Generator -- 9/10

Union -- 7/10

Talk -- 10/10

Keys to Ascension -- 8/10 (I was at these shows... they didn't need to overdub so damn much of it!)

The Ladder -- 8/10

Magnification -- 8/10

House of Yes 1999 - 8/10

The Word Is Live - 9/10

Don't have yet.

Fly from Here

Heaven & Earth

CTE 8/10?

I do love Yes and feel they have had some of the most talented musicians in there band over the decades they have entertained us with there music. Here is my ratings.

Yes -- 7/10

Time and a Word -- 7/10

The Yes Album -- 10/10

Fragile -- 9/10

Close to the Edge -- 10/10

Yessongs -- 9/10

Tales from Topographic Oceans -- 7/10

Relayer -- 8/10

Going for the One -- 8/10

Tormato -- 7/10

Drama -- 7/10

Yesshows -- 8/10

90125 -- 9/10

Big Generator -- 8/10

Union -- 7/10

Talk -- 7/10

Keys to Ascension -- 7/10

Open Your Eyes -- 6/10

The Ladder -- 8/10

Magnification -- 7/10

Live at Montreux -- 7/10

Fly from Here -- 7/10

Heaven & Earth -- 2/10

• Like 3

I'll go with this.

Yes -- 8/10

Time and a Word -- 9/10

The Yes Album -- 11/10

Fragile -- 7/10

Yessongs -- 6/10

Relayer -- 11/10

Tormato -- 6/10

Drama -- 10/10

Yesshows -- 8/10

90125 -- 10/10

Big Generator -- 9/10

Union -- 7/10

Talk -- 10/10

The Ladder -- 8/10

Magnification -- 8/10

House of Yes 1999 - 8/10

The Word Is Live - 9/10

Don't have yet.

Fly from Here

Heaven & Earth

CTE 8/10?

Far from my favorite Yes album. I like side two better as well.

The Yes Album is my favorite of them all. and "Heart of the Sunrise" is my favorite song.

I agree .. Heart Of The Sunrise is a masterpiece, as is South Side Of The Sky

Jon Anderson's Olias Of Sunhillow and Rock Wakeman's Six Wives Of Henry The VIII are also two of my all time favorite albums .... geeesh, so is Steve Howe's The Steve Howe Album

The creative energy these guys possessed was unmatched, and their output has been nothing short of incredible

• Like 3

The Yes Album is my favorite of them all. and "Heart of the Sunrise" is my favorite song.

That might be my favorite album and Heart Of The Sunrise is easily my fave from Fragile.

There is a live version of "Heart of the Sunrise" on Youtube that has Howe and Rabin, Kaye and Wakeman, White and Buford, Squire and Anderson and it is amazing.
  • Like 2

That might be my favorite album and Heart Of The Sunrise is easily my fave from Fragile.

There is a live version of "Heart of the Sunrise" on Youtube that has Howe and Rabin, Kaye and Wakeman, White and Buford, Squire and Anderson and it is amazing.

Link plz?

Thanks!

• Like 1

That would have been from the Union Tour. I loved that concert!

• Like 2

I'll post it later after I get home from work.

Link plz?

Thanks!

• Like 1

As did I. The L.A. Forum Union show was one for the ages.

• Like 2

And if you're really just beginning, there's two Yes's now last I heard as if there weren't enough guys in the band already.. I think they split the original band in half and filled all the gaps with guys from tribute bands or something.. oh well, more guys to enjoy the rrhof (or not)
  • Like 1

As did I. The L.A. Forum Union show was one for the ages.

Saw that for myself at the Meadowlands...

• Like 2

For those brand new to Yes I recommend these in this order: Close to the Edge, Fragile, The Yes album, Going for the One, Relayer and then Drama. After that Tales from Topographic Oceans and 90125. If you like those then just go and buy the rest just don't expect them to be as good. They were a bit of a different animal in the eighties and later but still had plenty of good moments.

Also, I'm glad to see them finally inducted into the Rock and ROll Hall of fame with the help of Geddy and Alex!

For those brand new to Yes I recommend these in this order: Close to the Edge, Fragile, The Yes album, Going for the One, Relayer and then Drama. After that Tales from Topographic Oceans and 90125. If you like those then just go and buy the rest just don't expect them to be as good. They were a bit of a different animal in the eighties and later but still had plenty of good moments.

Also, I'm glad to see them finally inducted into the Rock and ROll Hall of fame with the help of Geddy and Alex!

I think someone should start with 90125. You always open with your best shot.

I don't know anyone who would have come back for seconds if that came first.

• Like 1

Your right. You should start with the best which is why I suggested starting with Close to the Edge which is regarded by most Yes fans as their best. 90125 is a good pop rock album but not a very good representation of what Yes was all about. Anyone who is really into the band understands that.

Your right. You should start with the best which is why I suggested starting with Close to the Edge which is regarded by most Yes fans as their best. 90125 is a good pop rock album but not a very good representation of what Yes was all about. Anyone who is really into the band understands that.

This. 90215 sounds to me like a lacklustre Flock Of Seagulls album. I never would have guessed the rich wonders of the decade prior had I started with that hot mess.

This. 90215 sounds to me like a lacklustre Flock Of Seagulls album. I never would have guessed the rich wonders of the decade prior had I started with that hot mess.

Ground Control to Major Dis! :D

Well, no. "People who are really into the band," sounds a lot like "real fans," to my ears. Which really means people who reflexively reject anything a band releases that enjoys widespread popularity. Because they think it burnishes their bona fides.

The idea that 90125 is "pop rock," is a stretch, as that term is usually used. You're right it's a "popular" record. That's because people who don't buy different versions of an album for the "new liner notes," bought it.