The "Yes" Appreciation Thread: For Those Who Are Just Beginning...

Segue Myles

yesshows is great too, killer version of gates of delirium!

Jon's vocals are great in that version. The only problem is that the keyboards at the beginning of the battle section are pretty weak. That part is a lot more exciting and powerful on Relayer.

• Like 1

yesshows is great too, killer version of gates of delirium!

Jon's vocals are great in that version. The only problem is that the keyboards at the beginning of the battle section are pretty weak. That part is a lot more exciting and powerful on Relayer.

yeah I prefer the studio version

What I love most about Yesmusic is the "emotion revealed", both in Jon's singing & the playing.

And You & I, Perpetual Change, Wurm, Soon, Awaken and so on, these pieces are very moving. Great music, including prog, hits your heart as well as your brain.

Which is why ELP will always be overblown bollocks to my ears. No soul.

Good thread. Needed something to drag me back into MOTS. It's been a while.

EDIT: 90125 is as much fun as is possible when fully clothed. Play it loud.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw
  • Like 1

To me, Yes represents what I love about music. It's not necessarily about the lyrics or the technical prowess, it's about how it hits you. As the great Bob Marley said - "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."
  • Like 2

What I love most about Yesmusic is the "emotion revealed", both in Jon's singing & the playing.

And You & I, Perpetual Change, Wurm, Soon, Awaken and so on, these pieces are very moving. Great music, including prog, hits your heart as well as your brain.

I couldn't agree more about this. Man, the end of To Be Over moves me about as much as a piece of music possibly can.

• Like 1

90125. Yes snobs will tell you it's too commercial or accessible. But it is a fantastic album. My favorite by the band by a lot.

personally I think the yes album and fragile are a lot more "accessible." I've seen all good people, yours is no disgrace, roundabout, long distance runaround, all these tunes are played on the radio...like rush, yes could pull off the complex prog shit and make it plenty accessible for "regular" listeners. most folks' complaints with 90125 have nothing to do with accessibility, I just think to a lot of folks it sounds like a regular early 80s pop record. it's got some good tunes though, don't get me wrong. I'm not a huge fan of it though, myself

I like those albums too. But I think those songs are all likely to be played on "classic rock" radio. You might hear "Owner of A Lonely Heart" or "Leave It" on a "Mike" radio station.

I love the artwork to Yessongs!

Back in 1984-85, I could listen to Yessongs for hours with headphones on, and staring at the artwork in the album folds. Plus, there was a booklet that came with it that had pictures of all five guys doing their thing. So you could either look at the art work and let the music "take you there," or you could look at the pictures, and imagine yourself at the concert you were listening to. It was practically a complete experience.

Yessongs is a great introduction to the early Yes catalog; it's an amazing live album. My favorite Yes album is Close to the Edge followed by The Yes Album.

I still think Fragile is an amazing accomplishment, and the fact that it is the first album to feature Rick Wakeman also makes it special. But I think it is a distant, though solid, third on my rankings chart.

• Like 1

I'll put it this way...it's hard to go wrong with anything Yes did, up to and including Tormato!

Even the Tormato stuff shined in concert. I had a bootleg of the Cleveland '78 show, and they played quite a bit of Tormato. I thought Future Times/Rejoice was exceptional at that show.

Yessongs is a great introduction to the early Yes catalog; it's an amazing live album. My favorite Yes album is Close to the Edge followed by The Yes Album.

I still think Fragile is an amazing accomplishment, and the fact that it is the first album to feature Rick Wakeman also makes it special. But I think it is a distant, though solid, third on my rankings chart.

I agree with that assessment 100%!

• Like 1

90125. Yes snobs will tell you it's too commercial or accessible. But it is a fantastic album. My favorite by the band by a lot.

personally I think the yes album and fragile are a lot more "accessible." I've seen all good people, yours is no disgrace, roundabout, long distance runaround, all these tunes are played on the radio...like rush, yes could pull off the complex prog shit and make it plenty accessible for "regular" listeners. most folks' complaints with 90125 have nothing to do with accessibility, I just think to a lot of folks it sounds like a regular early 80s pop record. it's got some good tunes though, don't get me wrong. I'm not a huge fan of it though, myself

I like those albums too. But I think those songs are all likely to be played on "classic rock" radio. You might hear "Owner of A Lonely Heart" or "Leave It" on a "Mike" radio station.

I wonder how Leave It would fair on radio today. Of course, you'd have to play the radio edit version of the song, since it is marginally superior to the album version.

I agree with that assessment 100%!

That's because you are brilliant and a true Yes Fan.

:yes:

• Like 1

I'll put it this way...it's hard to go wrong with anything Yes did, up to and including Tormato!

Even the Tormato stuff shined in concert. I had a bootleg of the Cleveland '78 show, and they played quite a bit of Tormato. I thought Future Times/Rejoice was exceptional at that show.

Some really great songs on that album. It was their most recent album when I first got into Yes. I used to play it into the ground.

Which is why ELP will always be overblown bollocks to my ears. No soul.

Good thread. Needed something to drag me back into MOTS. It's been a while.

EDIT: 90125 is as much fun as is possible when fully clothed. Play it loud.

Very true. I love "some" of their stuff. Karnevil 9 1st Impression Part 2 is one of my all time favorite songs. But for most of their catalog, all I hear is great technical ability.

Some really great songs on that album. It was their most recent album when I first got into Yes. I used to play it into the ground.

I bought it at the same time that I bought the Cleveland '78 and Chicago '79 bootlegs, as well as Drama. The live stuff got played the most. It was a little while before I really gave the studio albums a good listening to.

I wonder how Leave It would fair on radio today. Of course, you'd have to play the radio edit version of the song, since it is marginally superior to the album version.

At my gym, which has "Mike" radio playing in the background, I've heard that, and Owner of A Lonely Heart, pop up.

I've always liked the a capella version of Leave It.

I'm glad this thread is getting feedback! I am going to make it my resolve to collect all the albums up to Drama, one by one, or save for the box set (money is very tight...lol). What I do know is that this band is brilliant, and they have brightened up a boring winter (I won't complain, we in the UK have it lucky).
  • Like 1

To me, Yes represents what I love about music. It's not necessarily about the lyrics or the technical prowess, it's about how it hits you. As the great Bob Marley said - "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."

Wow, what a great statement...

...thanks for sharing it here ReRushed, you rock.

I must say, I have been discovering a lot of great music since joining this forum!

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1