Would you be opposed to Geddy lip-syncing or using voice-enhancement technology to cover older material in concert?

GeminiRising79

Geddy has lip synced on previous tours, not sure that he did on this one, but definitely has done before and will do again. Singing for 3 hours a night for as long as he has done is not good for anyone's vocal chords..don't blame him one bit for doing so!

They use prerecorded background vocals all the time on tour. Nobody seems to really care about that. Technically that could be considered cheating. Same could be said for the samples. Another reason I think they should record an instrumental album. Edited by EagleMoon

I would be opposed to Geddy lip syncing, that would be stupid. I would not be opposed to him using voice enhancement technology though, I would love to see them play some of those older ones and I wouldn't really care if Geddy enhanced his voice. I would prefer they just drop the key though Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1

I just don't want any twerking, okay? None of them! Don't want to see it. :codger:

For the sake of the older among us and also the uniformed... What is twerking exactly? :huh: :codger:

Its when you bend over, keep your legs straight, and wiggle your bum.

Its ridiculous how much press this silly dance routine has had lately, its not even sexy!

• Like 1

I just don't want any twerking, okay? None of them! Don't want to see it. :codger:

For the sake of the older among us and also the uniformed... What is twerking exactly? :huh: :codger:

You don't need to know. Consider yourself lucky for not knowing.

too much bullshit lip-synching shatters the illusion of integrity. if they're not really singing or playing I might as well just stay at home and listen to the albums.

In my scenario, they would be singing and playing, just with a backing vocal track. They do that now. Does it bother you that Geddy flies in harmonies cause Alex can't sing?

too much bullshit lip-synching shatters the illusion of integrity. if they're not really singing or playing I might as well just stay at home and listen to the albums.

In my scenario, they would be singing and playing, just with a backing vocal track. They do that now. Does it bother you that Geddy flies in harmonies cause Alex can't sing?

I don't know about bathory, but yeah, it bothers me.

Does flying in samples and keyboard parts bother you as well? Just curious as to the distinction if no.

Edited by KennyLee
  • Like 1

Does flying in samples and keyboard parts bother you as well? Just curious as to the distinction if no.

Non-live content in and of itself doesn't bother me. I first saw Rush on the Hemispheres tour and even back then there were audio events that were not performed live (the swoosh intro of 2112 and the spoken intro of Cygnus X-1, for example), but those parts were obviously non-live and so it somehow seemed honest to have them be obviously non-live, but when you start having non-live guitar and vocal parts, that blurs the line between live and non-live, and the blurring of that line seems less than honest to me.

• Like 1

Non-live content in and of itself doesn't bother me. I first saw Rush on the Hemispheres tour and even back then there were audio events that were not performed live (the swoosh intro of 2112 and the spoken intro of Cygnus X-1, for example), but those parts were obviously non-live and so it somehow seemed honest to have them be obviously non-live, but when you start having non-live guitar and vocal parts, that blurs the line between live and non-live, and the blurring of that line seems less than honest to me.

Fair enough.

I don't mind how rush shows are now, if that's what you're asking me. I'd prefer no fake shit at all but I think rush shows kick ass. I just don't want geddy lip-synching the old shit, if you wanna play it just sing it differently. I'd much prefer that.

I don't mind how rush shows are now, if that's what you're asking me. I'd prefer no fake shit at all but I think rush shows kick ass. I just don't want geddy lip-synching the old shit, if you wanna play it just sing it differently. I'd much prefer that.

That's where I think you're missing what I'm saying.

I'm saying, in my scenario that Geddy would be singing his modified new vocal, just having the original flown in as a harmony. I don't want Geddy lip-syncing either! I just think it would be cool to hear his new melody lines on older stuff with a harmony being his original melody line, that's all.

For the record, I am totally comfortable with his voice now. He ain't a kid anymore. He does what he can and I love him for it. I'm way more interested in the overall playing of bass, midi pedals and keyboards anyway. :notworthy:

Also, what he does is way better than the 80's singers that just hold the mic out to the audience as if to say "I can't sing this anymore so... let's do some audience participation?".

"Whoooooaa we're half way there... (hold's mic out) Livin' on a prayer"

• Like 1

I'd rather watch/listen to the Rush guys air-drumming/guitar-ing to a recording of their older material than to see them play their crappy new stuff live.

I'd rather watch/listen to the Rush guys air-drumming/guitar-ing to a recording of their older material than to see them play their crappy new stuff live.

Sorry you feel that way. I love the new stuff.

• Like 2

Sorry you feel that way. I love the new stuff.

Sorry. Glad someone can find some worth in it.

For F###'s sake these guys are sixty and will have what? Probably no more than a couple of national tours? It doesn't seem like they're going to be touring enough to obsess over this nonsense.

I can answer this question in one word- yes. I can't even put into a thousand words how opposed I would be to it. If that were ever to happen, the integrity factor of the band would instantly go to zero, in my opinion.

Neil would never stand for it, either!

I can answer this question in one word- yes. I can't even put into a thousand words how opposed I would be to it. If that were ever to happen, the integrity factor of the band would instantly go to zero, in my opinion.

Their integrity factor is getting uncomfortably close to zero for me as it is.

As for Neil not standing for it, is this the same Neil who triggers a guitar part?

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

As for Neil not standing for it, is this the same Neil who triggers a guitar part?

Nope. Different Neil. :eh:

No no no no no.

And the band will never ever get to that. I don't believe for second they would this. Once Geddy can't sing good enough live.......they are done. SOme people around here already think that. But last tour he rocked. His vocals were pretty damn good for a guy his age...singing this kind of stuff.

And yes I would be opposed. Keep it real. I can take some triggered sounds and some looped guitar parts from Alex....but nothing obvious. And vocals lip synced?

Really?

Rush would be a sell out at that point....it would break my heart.

These are my thoughts. If Geddy would ever THINK about using vocal enhancement technology or lip-syncing a song, that would be the point where I stop seeing them live. Because, at that point, you know they've just stopped performing for the love of it and are doing it just for the big fat paycheck it nets them for their name. Even if it meant getting to hear songs like The Necromancer (a personal favorite of mine) live, I wouldn't go see it. The reason I love this band so much is because of how humble and respectable they are, and that's why I don't have such a high respect for a lot of older bands who tour almost every year for the paycheck and not for the all out love of getting out there and performing. Once Geddy's voice goes, it's all over. That's just a fact we'll have to live with. We still have plenty of live and studio recorded material that will last for decades, and we should be thankful for that much.

Nope. Different Neil. :eh:

Good...because the Neil who triggers the guitar part obviously doesn't have any issue with the band "faking" it.