Would you be opposed to Geddy lip-syncing or using voice-enhancement technology to cover older material in concert?

GeminiRising79

I think I would be OK with a prerecorded vocal for the original melody on his older air raid siren days with his customized new harmony line being sung live.

Overall, I'm cool with the fact that he ain't 25 again and that is just fine.

You know what? I think this is the avenue that would be most accepted. We already expect them to trigger the back up vocals why not reverse the vocals and trigger the actual lead and allow Geddy to sing it an octave lower as a back up. He actually doing that already on some songs anyway.

Bring on Cygnus X-1 / Hemispheres!

:rush: :haz: :rush:

• Like 2

Geddy sings so damn good.

Put down the bottle Duff-Man!

I think its a 40....... :)

Strickly Mad-Dog for the Duff-Man!

Mogen David—the great wino beverage. Never passed my lips. Is it good?

I can't really remember! All I can ascertain is a County Fair, Kissing a clown and viewing my house from extreme heights and waking up the next day with by @ss in pain. It was either the Mad - Dog 20/20 or I was Abducted by aliens.

:moon:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_52rfzTjok_s/SJWWd_rxsxI/AAAAAAAAALw/Zl_yLbSEII8/s400/Cartman%2BAnal%2BProbe.jpg

I think I would be OK with a prerecorded vocal for the original melody on his older air raid siren days with his customized new harmony line being sung live.

Kenny I've watched your videos and really enjoyed them. Pretty close to the real thing.

Since GR79 is in such a tailspin, please give him your next gig locations and dates. He wants to hear those era's so I figure help his situation. You're from Delaware and he's in DC...it works!

Thanks! We're at JB McGinnes in New Castle, DE on February 28th. Got a request GR79?

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

I just don't see why Geddy doesn't sing the old songs in a way that is comfortable for him. That doesn't mean that he has to sing every part an octave lower, or tune down a step. I'm just saying that any part that is too high for him can be sung differently. I'm sure he could figure out ways to make the vocal parts easy to sing while still mostly retaining the original melody and intensity. Even some live versions of songs like Xanadu from way back in the day he doesn't sing exactly like the record. For me that doesn't not detract from the song in any way. Yeah sure, part of what makes Rush sound like Rush is Geddy's insanely high tenor, but he just cant pull off the piercing wails anymore. And yeah its too bad, but I'm just grateful these guys have been givn'r their all and rockin' our asses off for the past 40+ years, and (hopefully) continue to do so. And even though Ged can't sing like he used to, he still has a great range, and his voice sounds good. There is no need whatsoever for lip syncing or voice enhancement.

I just don't see why Geddy doesn't sing the old songs in a way that is comfortable for him. That doesn't mean that he has to sing every part an octave lower, or tune down a step. I'm just saying that any part that is too high for him can be sung differently. I'm sure he could figure out ways to make the vocal parts easy to sing while still mostly retaining the original melody and intensity. Even some live versions of songs like Xanadu from way back in the day he doesn't sing exactly like the record. For me that doesn't not detract from the song in any way. Yeah sure, part of what makes Rush sound like Rush is Geddy's insanely high tenor, but he just cant pull off the piercing wails anymore. And yeah its too bad, but I'm just grateful these guys have been givn'r their all and rockin' our asses off for the past 40+ years, and (hopefully) continue to do so. And even though Ged can't sing like he used to, he still has a great range, and his voice sounds good. There is no need whatsoever for lip syncing or voice enhancement.

He does that already. Temples of Syrinx, Passage To Bangkok, a few others I'm forgetting right now.

I was just saying the original triggered as a "harmony" might be cool.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't like any triggered vocal samples period. 70's era Rush, live or on record, did not feature anything more than just Geddy's voice. There were no vocal harmonies, only what could be recreated live. That, to me, is a distinct part of their sound. And not too many bands then or now could sound so unique and "full" with only one vocalist. Sure, the post 70's records had vocal layers, but from what I gathered, this thread was about early Rush songs using voice enhancement. And why would they trigger vocal harmonies on songs that didn't feature vocal harmonies to begin with? So consider me against it. And also, we're not stupid, they need to stop showing Alex on the big screen lip syncing to a pre recorded Geddy. We know that's not him singing!
  • Like 1

Once Geddy Lee starts lip syncing, that's the moment I lose faith in music. Of all people, HE'S lip syncing?!

I am opposed.

No doubt. Any Rush fan that thinks Ged should lip sync disappoints me. Rush becomes a poser band at that point. This thread is moot anyway. I'm fairly confident that's a line Rush would never cross. They would retire first.

Edited by presto123
  • Like 4

Kenny I've watched your videos and really enjoyed them. Pretty close to the real thing.

Since GR79 is in such a tailspin, please give him your next gig locations and dates. He wants to hear those era's so I figure help his situation. You're from Delaware and he's in DC...it works!

Thanks! We're at JB McGinnes in New Castle, DE on February 28th. Got a request GR79?

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

Thank you, Kenny! A bit far from me, but thanks for reaching out. :cheers:

Lip-synching and using voice enhancement software would be two different things. I say no to the lip-synching but the voice enhancement thing would be just a tool.
  • Like 2

Absolutely not. I wouldn't mind a lower octave or something just to help it be easier for Geddy but nothing that makes it completely artificial and fake. Then it wouldn't be Rush anymore for me if they were just faking it live. For his age, Geddy still sounds incredibly well and I think people really need to realize that. I still really enjoyed listening to the latest tour album and thought he sounded pretty damn great on plenty of the material, again, considering his age. But, yeah, no fake stuff. Screw that.
  • Like 1

FTR, I wasn't suggesting fake. I was just suggesting his live "altered melody" with his original vocal mixed in and ONLY on older stuff like Hemispheres, Passage, Temples, etc.. Thought that might be cool. Plus it would give them the opportunity to play some of those that they just can't do.

Imagine hearing Beneath, Between, Behind or Bastille Day or whatever from that era again. It is still Geddy after all and he triggers harmonies now so, why not?

• Like 2

I was thinking about this the other night and came to the conclusion that I would be perfectly fine with Geddy resorting to voice-enhancing aids to sing material that he can't (or struggles with, i.e., the classic stuff). It would probably be a tremendous relief for him. Would anyone be opposed to Geddy doing this?

I would. What a humiliation and embarrassment it would be. If Rush has to resort to this, hang it up, take the hard earned money, and call it a day.

• Like 2

I was thinking about this the other night and came to the conclusion that I would be perfectly fine with Geddy resorting to voice-enhancing aids to sing material that he can't (or struggles with, i.e., the classic stuff). It would probably be a tremendous relief for him. Would anyone be opposed to Geddy doing this?

I would. What a humiliation and embarrassment it would be. If Rush has to resort to this, hang it up, take the hard earned money, and call it a day.

I'd infinitely rather hear ged's voice doctored up a bit to sing the earlier stuff than to be forced to hear the soulless, wall of sound newer material.

• Like 1

I'd infinitely rather hear ged's voice doctored up a bit to sing the earlier stuff than to be forced to hear the soulless, wall of sound newer material.

I can't stand the wall of sound no matter how much I try to force myself to like it.... :ph34r:

Someone is forcing you against your will to listen to Rush records that you don't like? Wow, that IS terrible! No wonder you're so bitter and disagreeable. I wouldn't want to be forced to listen to music I don't like, either :no:

• Like 1

Someone is forcing you against your will to listen to Rush records that you don't like? Wow, that IS terrible! No wonder you're so bitter and disagreeable. I wouldn't want to be forced to listen to music I don't like, either :no:

Good thing I quantified my statement. "Force myself". :scared: :outtahere:

Sooner or later, the fans are just going to have to come to terms with the fact that they aren't young anymore.

This should be a lesson to any up and coming bands - don't let the lead singer start off on a high note because they won't be able to sustain it.

So, having an opinion that contrasts yours deems one bitter and disagreeable?

Btw, I only tolerate the new material so that I can hear the classics.

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 1

Yes.

I think Geddy should use Auto-tune.

Reported.

• Like 2