Would RUSH have Made it?

losingit2k

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would RUSH have made it 40 Years without PeW & MP as a Transition?

• Yes
    • No

This question started me thinking the other day. Would RUSH have made it another 30 years after Hemispheres without PeW & MP as a transition between Prog and the Keyboard Era? If Hemispheres would have led straight into Signals would the Older RUSH fans accepted the new and would the newer fans accepted the old? I think they would have made it but with two fans bases in tow. There would always have been a division between the fans. Old and New! I think PeW and MP were the two albums that allowed for a much smoother transition. The Bridge if you will, between the old and New.
  • Like 1

I voted yes but... I have said this before but I truly hardly noticed at the time. Being a fan since 76' and cutting my teeth on All The World's A Stage you would think that I would have been shocked by the transition. I really never considered it. I am no musician either. Epic music was all I was after.... :)
  • Like 1

I agree. As a fan since very early on, the musical changes weren't shocking or seemingly "un-Rush like". They were natural progressions based on the changing musical tastes of the day.
  • Like 1

If I recall a number Neil once tossed out while promoting "Hemispheres," the band was selling about 200,000 albums. They hadn't broken the top 30 in album sales until PeW made them radio friendly. And that was perfect timing since corporations started ruining FM radio in the 80's and they decided to turn the idea of breaking new bands over to the college stations. Many FM stations entered the format of playing three "classic" songs, go to three commercials, play three more and so on. My belief is Rush would have not found their way into the new radio age. Instead, they probably would have remained a "cult" like band, maybe like a Little Feat or a Grateful Dead that sold records and had a solid following but probably would not see many multiple night shows in arenas and stadiums with platinum releases. So would they have survived? Sure, but I bet Bastille Day might still be on the setlist.
  • Like 2

If I recall a number Neil once tossed out while promoting "Hemispheres," the band was selling about 200,000 albums. They hadn't broken the top 30 in album sales until PeW made them radio friendly. And that was perfect timing since corporations started ruining FM radio in the 80's and they decided to turn the idea of breaking new bands over to the college stations. Many FM stations entered the format of playing three "classic" songs, go to three commercials, play three more and so on. My belief is Rush would have not found their way into the new radio age. Instead, they probably would have remained a "cult" like band, maybe like a Little Feat or a Grateful Dead that sold records and had a solid following but probably would not see many multiple night shows in arenas and stadiums with platinum releases. So would they have survived? Sure, but I bet Bastille Day might still be on the setlist.

Bastille Day would put Ged in the hospital.

• Like 2

Its kind of a pointless question really....Rush have always been good at absorbing what is current and then putting their own spin on it, so a gap like that would have been impossible as they simply hadn't had a chance to assimilate what was current.

So your saying they wouldn't have came out with Signals at all, Just followed Hemispheres with another prog Album? Very Interesting! So basically your saying that PeW and MP set them on a more radio friendly/ commercial path.

Edited by losingit2k

Its kind of a pointless question really....Rush have always been good at absorbing what is current and then putting their own spin on it, so a gap like that would have been impossible as they simply hadn't had a chance to assimilate what was current.

I never mentioned a gap. I actually meant Hemispheres followed by Signals. (Maybe a year in between at most) I meant that PeW and MP softened the blow of the forthcoming Keyboard era.

Edited by losingit2k

I never mentioned a gap. I actually meant Hemispheres followed by Signals. (Maybe a year in between at most) I meant that PeW and MP softened the blow of the forthcoming Keyboard era.

And that's what I meant....such a jarring transition could never have occured due to the fact that they always incorporate what is current around them into what the write

• Like 2

Either we hear too little of 70's RUSH or too much of their 80's synth days! Regardless,RUSH still rules Volcanuum! I dare say between "Roll The Bones" and "Snakes & Arrows" RUSH hurled actual PEAK material. To me they've always been in stride with the times. The musical direction they took with "Clockwork Angels" will only get EVEN BETTER next album.
  • Like 2

Either we hear too little of 70's RUSH or too much of their 80's synth days! Regardless,RUSH still rules Volcanuum! I dare say between "Roll The Bones" and "Snakes & Arrows" RUSH hurled actual PEAK material. To me they've always been in stride with the times. The musical direction they took with "Clockwork Angels" will only get EVEN BETTER next album.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

:codger: