The MLB Trading Season Begins

Test4VitalSigns

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Rockies get -OF Eric Byrnes and top prospect SS Omar Quintanilla from A's

-SP Zach Day and OF J.J. Davis from Nationals plus a minor league

player to be named later (or cash)

Nationals get -OF Preston Wilson and cash

A's get -SP Joe Kennedy and RP Jay Witasick

QUOTE (Raider917 @ Jul 14 2005, 08:20 AM)
i saw the burnett to toronto rumour on espns ticker last night during sportscenter once but havent seen it on espn since.

We already have a thread for the rumors....I want this thread to be for trades officially made...

Yankees pick up Shawn Chacon from the Rockies, to be used as a starter for the time being. The Yanks gave up a couple AA prospects in exchange. Wonder if they have anybody left in their farm system. Also, Nomo signed a minor league contract with the Yankees. They really are desperate for starting pitching. laugh.gif

Randy Winn got sent to San Francisco in exchange for Foppert (a young pitcher just coming back from Tommy John surgery) and Torrealba (hopefully a better catcher than Olivo). Hopefully this works out well. Offense has been a bit of an issue with the Mariners and sending Winn off kind of hurts even more. I think Bavasi and Hargrove have noted two major problems with the team and that has been erratic pitching from Sele and Meche, and substandard catching from Olivo with nothing on the horizon (Wilson is out, probably for good, and Borders is about ready to retire). I guess they are looking at trying to shore up both of those problems. Not sure if Foppert is a solution for the pitching as he has been on the DL a lot in his career.

Cubs trade recently acquired Jody Gerut to the Pirates for fellow former Tribesman Matt Lawton.

Most notable was Nevin getting traded to Texas for Chan Ho Park. Nevin gets the hitters' park he wanted, and Park gets the pitchers' park he probably desired. I wonder how much time Nevin will get in Texas. Teixeira at first and a crowded outfield/DH picture make me wonder if there's a spot for him.

Farnsworth goes to Atlanta in exchange for a couple of lesser known pitchers. He throws some serious heat, but he had a reputation in Chicago for throwing a few too many back. It remains to be seen how he will turn back.

Jose Cruz, Jr. (man, his dad was a ball player) goes to the Red Sox for two minor leaguers. How many teams in the past five years is that?

Seattle finally got rid of Miguel Olivo for a couple players, trading with San Diego. Olivo wasn't cutting it behind the plate for them. This might make their pitching staff better. San Diego needed a catcher because Ramon Hernandez is out for the season.

Oakland sends middle reliever Chad Bradford to Boston (who desperately needed middle relief) for Jay Payton (thought that might have happened a few days ago).

Archived