anyone into shoegaze at all?

ucsteve667

I had a very interesting band on MY SHOW, The Stargazer Lilies. Ive never heard such massive wall of sound that was so lush and melodic. Amazing

http://youtu.be/jcC9MP4tW94

This time I looked up "shoegaze"..... :)

we actually discussed that heh

My Bloody Valentine is the quintessential shoegaze band and perhaps the most well known shoegaze band. I saw them last month and they were incredible. As far as other shoegaze bands are concerned, I also like Slowdive and Ride; in particular Ride's Nowhere and Slowdive's Souvlaki albums. There's also this French band Alcest who combine the lushness of shoegaze with the aggressiveness of black metal which I just love.
  • Like 1

any of yas check out the video yet?

Yeah, I like the approach. They are definitely on the wall of sound/feedback-drenched drone side of the shoegaze spectrum that "purists" might appreciate, as opposed to those bands loosely grouped with shoegaze that use more conventional pop song structures with some blasting fuzz guitar thrown in; e.g., Revolver, Curve, and the more contemporary School of Seven Bells. Not to criticize, as this is one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in years (E. Fraser and R. Guthrie I'm sure are impressed):

Yeah, I like the approach. They are definitely on the wall of sound/feedback-drenched drone side of the shoegaze spectrum that "purists" might appreciate, as opposed to those bands loosely grouped with shoegaze that use more conventional pop song structures with some blasting fuzz guitar thrown in; e.g., Revolver, Curve, and the more contemporary School of Seven Bells. Not to criticize, as this is one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in years (E. Fraser and R. Guthrie I'm sure are impressed):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1An2pjS4mKE

yeah thats a lil popish for me i guess. makes me miss NYC tho heh. thanks fer checkin it out and stuff

Always loved the Cocteau Twins. Of course they predated the term "shoegaze" as a label, but the connection is there no doubt. Robin Guthrie has produced great stuff as well, including this classic. The Cocteau Twins influence couldn't be more obvious. Great song; it would fit well in the "sad song" thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSEw5bEmXfk

Love shoegaze. My favourite band of the genre is Slowdive. It's not even close. Not to say there aren't other great bands out there, but Slowdive, for me, just defines the sound that I love most about the genre. Cocteau Twins are great, along with Ride, Lush, Chapterhouse, Curve, Cranes, Air Formation, and of course MBV.

You guys should check out The Daysleepers, a band out of Buffalo, NY. Absolutely love their sound. I generally don't like so-called "new-gaze" as it tends to be overly electronic (e.g. M83) and just not what I know as shoegaze. Anyway, Daysleepers are cool.

• Like 2

Love shoegaze. My favourite band of the genre is Slowdive. It's not even close. Not to say there aren't other great bands out there, but Slowdive, for me, just defines the sound that I love most about the genre. Cocteau Twins are great, along with Ride, Lush, Chapterhouse, Curve, Cranes, Air Formation, and of course MBV.

You guys should check out The Daysleepers, a band out of Buffalo, NY. Absolutely love their sound. I generally don't like so-called "new-gaze" as it tends to be overly electronic (e.g. M83) and just not what I know as shoegaze. Anyway, Daysleepers are cool.

Really like it! Little bit of Ride, little bit of House of Love (ca. Babe Rainbow). Great combination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Oqe_NgsDU

Love both of those bands. Slowdive especially, they really nailed the melancholy sound that I associate with shoegaze. This is really why The Smashing Pumpkins were such an amazing band for me, they were able to seamlessly blend elements of shoegaze into their 90's alt-rock sound and it worked SO well. What a beautiful genre

I listened to Loveless by My Bloody Valentine last night for the first time. Really loved it, and I'm definitely going to check out more shoegaze bands. I'm somewhat familiar with Cocteau Twins, but that's all I've heard from this genre (unless Alcest counts as shoegaze). I'm thinking my best bet is to check out Ride, Lush, and Slowdrive next.

idk, Ive checked out a number of shoegaze bands at this point and just didnt hear or feel what I felt when I saw the band I posted above. It was a massive guitar attack that was wonderful, lush and almost overwhelming. I guess you really need to feel it live to truly appreciate, but as far as a live recording of it I think we did pretty good

I think MBV and Slowdive are kind of the benchmarks (MBV has certainly been annointed that, for good reason). I never thought of Cocteau Twins as Shoegaze, but there's an undeniable continuity I suppose. Speaking of Cocteau Twins, I remember the first time I heard Treasure. Man, like Led Zeppelin at their peak, they were more than mortal in their early years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Oqe_NgsDU

Great recommendation! I'm really liking this.

Even though they're pretty much an exact clone of MBV this band is still very enjoyable.

Exact clone is right. Maybe missing a little bit of the edge but pretty much spot on.

I really like this. It isn't exactly shoegaze, but they've got a foot in the genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf5meA77meg

Edited by Rutlefan

Yeah, I like shoegaze. My Bloody Valentine, Lush, Kitchens of Distinction, Ride, Curve, Cranes, Chapterhouse, Slowdive, Pale Saints

I can't help but wonder if it's making a slight comeback. My Bloody Valentine recently released a new one simply titled "MBV". Kitchens of Distinctions released a new one this year called "Folly".

Sampler from Kitchens from their new album:

http://youtu.be/FiSgv8Ivdcg

Edited by circumstantial tree
  • Like 1

there's definitely a renewed interest....a lot of my town's "music people" all love mbv. I dig em (and other shoegaze) but these are the folks who sit around crying and writing poetry to loveless
  • Like 1

Been on a HUGE shoegaze kick lately, mainly with Ride and Slowdive and some other obscure Asian shoegaze bands.

Nobody loves shoegaze more than I, Nate Guerrette.

Asians make the best shoegaze

Edited by Nate2112