Geddy's Best Bass Moments

Disk98

I've always felt that Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres is Geddy's masterpiece in terms of bass. Xanadu is another bass performance that I adore. Turn the Page is nice and snappy. Geddy is the master of bass!

Those are great calls, GSP! I also think Cinderella Man has some great bass lines, toe tappin'!

• Like 1

I don't think Geddy has ever had a BAD bass moment. I've loved everything he's done. That being said, I think the first 5 albums showcased his bass playing the best since the music was less dense.
  • Like 2

I don't think Geddy has ever had a BAD bass moment. I've loved everything he's done. That being said, I think the first 5 albums showcased his bass playing the best since the music was less dense.

Damn you are good...... :cheers: :d13: :)
  • Like 1

For me I don't think he hit his stride as a bassist until A Farewell to Kings. I think he's probably about as good right now as he's ever been, comparable with his spectacular 1979-1981 period. IMHO. :)

This solo just gets me in the mood every time.

I also love YYZ, La Villa Strangiato, and even Limbo. I just love the instrumentals!

Edited by Freeze-Frame
  • Like 3

I agree with this. Geddy really hasn't had a bad moment. Well maybe some of his Flamenco stuff in Vapor Trails is a bit much, but that said. He truly has some highlights:

Working Man, Cygnus X-1, Freewill, ( All the Instrumentals) ( Most of the faster 80's Songs during Alex's leads),Turn the Page, Driven, The Anarchist, Headlong Flight, ......All Brilliant!

Edited by losingit2k

I agree with this. Geddy really hasn't had a bad moment. Well maybe some of his Flamenco stuff in Vapor Trails is a bit much, but that said. He truly has some highlights:

Working Man, Cygnus X-1, Freewill, ( All the Instrumentals) ( Most of the faster 80's Songs during Alex's leads),Turn the Page, Driven, The Anarchist, Headlong Flight, ......All Brilliant!

For me personally, any of the bass work that sounds like the stuff on Hold Your Fire I can do without. I can't listen to those freak'in albums for a couple reasons but the main one is the bass sound. Yuck! :)

For me personally, any of the bass work that sounds like the stuff on Hold Your Fire I can do without. I can't listen to those freak'in albums for a couple reasons but the main one is the bass sound. Yuck! :)

I know Narpet, That bass sound is like caviar or escargot, you just have to get used to it! :spitwater:

I know Narpet, That bass sound is like caviar or escargot, you just have to get used to it! :spitwater:

I'll pass.... :)

never listened to a rush tune and thought "wow this bass sucks dick!" even if it's not a song I particularly care for

Maybe not richard, just ass... :)
  • Like 1

never listened to a rush tune and thought "wow this bass sucks dick!" even if it's not a song I particularly care for

the only rush album that I think has weak bass is presto, and that's because of the production and not the actual playing.

• Like 1

the only rush album that I think has weak bass is presto, and that's because of the production and not the actual playing.

It's not the playing. It's the sound and tone of the actual bass it self. Makes me want to jump out a window.... :) I have to throw on ATWAS to talk myself back off the ledge....... :)
  • Like 1

man on second though, f**k the vapor trails remix, when is presto getting the same treatment? or has it already had the treatment and I just dont know because I almost never get remixes/remasters/reissues?

honestly though the songs on presto that I actually like I like the way they are, but damn, hold your fire has ballsier bass than that record!