Geddy's Best Bass Moments

Disk98

Underrated (IMO):

Digital Man

Red Barchetta

OMFG:

The instrumental section of By-Tor from the ESL medley (in the video): http://youtu.be/kse01ftDAU0?t=1m14s

Grand Finale from "2112" from the 1980 St. Louis bootleg:

And well-deserved respect:

YYZ

La Villa Strangiato

Hemispheres, especially Prelude

The instrumental break in Freewill

(and of course pretty much every note he's ever played.)

• Like 1

Afterimage is tops...what a driving bass song!

Haha, smartass. :) I think you could make an argument that the bass part, even though it's on synth, serves the song well and is thus at least an honorable mention? Hey, I'm trying here, haha.

Though of course I can't help but daydream of a version of the arrangement where Ged switches to play bass guitar under the "I feel the way you were" sections, and Alex's solo.

• Like 1

The Big Money

The Rest of the Power Windows Album

Force Ten (chords on Bass can be hard)

Virtuality

Where to begin...

His entire career? Every song he plays has a certain genius to it but I'll hit the highlights.

Bass solo in La Villa - In a world before internet I would play this on a record player over and over to try and learn it. Took me forever just to figure out what he was doing and another year to be able to play it to speed. Ridiculously fast.

Hemispheres - Just wow. All over the neck for the entire song. Beautiful, melodic and aggressive.

Circumstances - Same thing. Tough line to sing over as well. Very aggressive.

Digital Man

Analog Kid

Breakdown in Mission with Neil on the Xylophone

Big Money

Marathon

Freewill

Good lord I could fill an entire page.

• Like 5

Where to begin...

His entire career? Every song he plays has a certain genius to it but I'll hit the highlights.

Bass solo in La Villa - In a world before internet I would play this on a record player over and over to try and learn it. Took me forever just to figure out what he was doing and another year to be able to play it to speed. Ridiculously fast.

Hemispheres - Just wow. All over the neck for the entire song. Beautiful, melodic and aggressive.

Digital Man

Analog Kid

Big Money

Marathon

Freewill

I have the same problem. I've been trying to figure out how to respond to this thread, and I just keep thinking "Best bass moments? I don't know...ALL OF THEM?" :LOL:

• Like 3

Where to begin...

Digital Man

Analog Kid

Big Money

Marathon

Freewill

I have the same problem. I've been trying to figure out how to respond to this thread, and I just keep thinking "Best bass moments? I don't know...ALL OF THEM?" :LOL:

Haha. Cinderella Man just popped into my head. Another great bass moment. Damn it he's great!

Where to begin...

Digital Man

Analog Kid

Big Money

Marathon

Freewill

Haha. Cinderella Man just popped into my head. Another great bass moment. Damn it he's great!

For years, the message alert on my phone was that little bass break in the middle of Cinderella Man :wub:

• Like 2

When Geddy was a kid, he caught an 11 lb. smallmouth in Lake Simcoe. The taxidermist was most impressed......
  • Like 1

-'Where's my thing' on the CA live disc

-hemispheres

- YYZ on CA live and every other version of it

- the rest of the CA live disc and every other live disc

- his entire career

Those are the only ones I ca think of at the moment... ;)

• Like 1

I've always felt that Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres is Geddy's masterpiece in terms of bass. Xanadu is another bass performance that I adore. Turn the Page is nice and snappy. Geddy is the master of bass!
  • Like 2