New BILL WARD interview

H. P. L.

http://www.hellbound.ca/2013/12/bill-ward-the-hellbound-interview/

What bands excite you as the torchbearers in modern metal?

Oh God, there are so many! Amon Amarth are progressing really well. And I’ve got to wave the flag for bands like Soilwork, who are not necessarily new, but what they are doing is progressing, and they’re playing so f***ing well. Same with a band like Devildriver, where I’ll be listening and wonder “What are they gonna do next?” I’m blown away by those guys. Another one of my favorite bands is Celtic Frost. I also really like Today Is The Day. And – I know it’ll never happen, what with Henke’s passing, but I also wish we could have a reincarnation of Disfear.

Really cool to know he's a fan of Amon Amarth and Soilwork. I remember seeing him on That Metal Show where he discussed his love for Mastodon as well. Edited by adace1
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting. Shame on the band for calling 13 a Black Sabbath album. Ozzy spent 2006-2010 saying that if all 4 original members weren't part of the project, it wasn't Black Sabbath.

What about all of the singers that replaced Ozzy. I think all non-Ozzy Black Sabbath is junk. :finbar:

I'm not really a fan of the bands he mentioned (not because I don't like them, but because I haven't gotten around to listening to them) but it's nice to see that he listens to new music. I hate reading interviews from classic rock musicians who say things like "I don't listen to new music anymore" or "There's nothing good anymore". So it's refreshing to see that Ward acknowledges that there's more to modern music than top 40 pop, and he is actually willing to seek those bands out.
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting. Shame on the band for calling 13 a Black Sabbath album. Ozzy spent 2006-2010 saying that if all 4 original members weren't part of the project, it wasn't Black Sabbath.

What about all of the singers that replaced Ozzy. I think all non-Ozzy Black Sabbath is junk. :finbar:

You're horrible. Do you even have ears? Are you living in 1975? I'm putting you on my ignore list.

:LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :D :D :D :D :smoke: :cheers:

Heaven and Hell (the album) and Mob Rules too?

hell, I even like a couple songs off born again and dehumanizer. a song or two here and there on the other non-ozzy albums but I think most of those suck

Says the metalhead with Kate Bush as his avatar... :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :D :D :D :D

hell, I even like a couple songs off born again and dehumanizer. a song or two here and there on the other non-ozzy albums but I think most of those suck

Says the metalhead with Kate Bush as his avatar... :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :D :D :D :D

kate bush rules!

kate bush rules!

Yes she does... :7up:

• Like 1

I love the first two Dio albums, so when I'm in the mood I can enjoy Dehumanizer. But generally speaking, other than Computer God, I, After All and maybe Time Machine, I don't love it. The songs all sound and feel the same. It's the same beef I have with The Devil You Know.

I saw the Born Again tour. Every few years I try to get into the album. I just don't love the songs. The Martin and Hughes albums are so generic. I can enjoy listening to them, but I don't ever get the urge to do so. I have the Gillen version of The Eternal Idol. I don't agree he would have revitalized Sabbath any more than Martin.

I think Gillen was more versatile and "vibrant" than Martin. What could have happened if he had stayed in the band, is anybody's guess. Martin at least was affordable. And the could sing ALL Black Sabbath eras, no small feat. Check out the Cross Purposes Tour: what a killer setlist! I can't think of anyone else who could handle all those songs.

http://youtu.be/O3u4Mtzd1NA

I think the tour would've been badass though. my old spanish teacher saw them on the born again tour and said it was cool hearing ian gillan sing old sabbath tunes

Ordinarily I saw shows back then at either the Worcester Centrum or the Providence Civic Center. That tour I saw them in Providence (Quiet Riot opened). The Worcester show is the famous boot from the tour. I enjoyed the show at the time, and I liked the album. Over time I've decided I'm not crazy about the album. The songs that I really vividly remember from the show, even now, are Heaven and Hell and Smoke on the Water.

I think Gillen was more versatile and "vibrant" than Martin. What could have happened if he had stayed in the band, is anybody's guess. Martin at least was affordable. And the could sing ALL Black Sabbath eras, no small feat. Check out the Cross Purposes Tour: what a killer setlist! I can't think of anyone else who could handle all those songs.

http://youtu.be/O3u4Mtzd1NA

I think Gillen, like Martin, was a pretty standard issue heavy metal vocalist for the time. Martin was a horrible front man though.

I think the tour would've been badass though. my old spanish teacher saw them on the born again tour and said it was cool hearing ian gillan sing old sabbath tunes

Ordinarily I saw shows back then at either the Worcester Centrum or the Providence Civic Center. That tour I saw them in Providence (Quiet Riot opened). The Worcester show is the famous boot from the tour. I enjoyed the show at the time, and I liked the album. Over time I've decided I'm not crazy about the album. The songs that I really vividly remember from the show, even now, are Heaven and Hell and Smoke on the Water.

Worcester Centrum! My high school years were spent there.. Every major act played at the Centrum... Good memories

Worcester Centrum! My high school years were spent there.. Every major act played at the Centrum... Good memories

I saw Rush on the P/G tour there, Van Halen on the 1984 tour there, Ozzy on the Speak of the Devil tour there and on and on. I haven't been back though since I saw GNR on the Use Your Illusion tour.

Other than seeing The Wiggles, of course.

I saw Rush on the P/G tour there, Van Halen on the 1984 tour there, Ozzy on the Speak of the Devil tour there and on and on. I haven't been back though since I saw GNR on the Use Your Illusion tour.

Yeah, it isn't the go to place anymore.. I think since the new Garden went up, that's the spot.

Yeah, it isn't the go to place anymore.. I think since the new Garden went up, that's the spot.

I think the old Garden's crappy condition and seating is why a lot of acts moved out to Worcester and Providence. I know when I saw AC/DC on the For Those About To Rock tour there were concerns about the cannons going off in the old Garden and possible structural damage.