TRF Trolls: hopeless cases, or is it just a phase disgruntled fans go through?

Tombstone Mountain

Trolling for acrimony  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Can these people changentheir stripes?

• Sure, it's just a maturity issue—give 'em time
    • Uhhh no, they're hopelessly addicted to the thrill of tweaking Rush fans

Young Rush fans should remember that older fans kept the band alive as a viable artistic and entertainment commodity into the contemporary period. The old school fans matter too.

One of the most insightful things I've read on this board in a long time. +1 increase in armor class!

Kudos Coventry for pointing this out. Glad I didn't miss this one. Well said by both of you.....

Good heavens, who is saying that the old school fans don't matter? I haven't seen anyone say anything like that. I've seen people say that old school fans aren't automatically RIGHT about everything Rush-related, but that's definitely not the same thing as saying they don't matter.

Old school fans certainly matter, but they don't have any greater standing to pass judgment on any of Rush's works than newer fans. And newer fans definitely matter, because as much as "older fans kept the band alive as a viable artistic and entertainment commodity into the contemporary period" (whatever that means), newer fans have also kept the band alive as a viable artistic and entertainment commodity blah blah blah.

This is one of the most irrelevant statements I've ever seen about any real or imagined idiotic and pointless rivalries between old school fans and newer fans. Especially since these days it's the great swaths of casual fans that populate the vast lesser sections of the arenas on the tours that are keeping the band commercially viable just as much as it is committed fans arguing about stupid unprovable matters of personal taste and opinion.

When you go to parties, do you make a lot of friends? Or do you typically just play with the host's dog and/or cat? I apologize for introducing "one of the most irrelevant statements" that you have ever read about a "real or imagined idiotic and pointless" topic. Next time I will do a better job of toeing the party line. Please just forward the memo on that when you get a second.

You know what is so great about this post? I can answer it directly. I met GeddysMullet twice. Once when my van was broken down in an Exxon gas station parking lot an hour before an S&A concert was supposed to start, and another at a tailgate party before the Time Machine tour. She might have also been at the bar before the S&A show at MSG, but I got a bit loopy and can't remember all of who was there. Anyway, she's fun as hell, her and her husband are extremely nice and about as friendly and outgoing as they come. So yeah, she makes a lot of friends. :) TRF people have been known to hang out on occasion. It's cool, you should try it. :cheers:

For what it's worth, I believe both 'old' fans and 'new' fans each bring the band solid reasons for their longevity. I'm sure the band is happy for both.

That's good to hear. But please understand, I've never tailgated with GM. I've never conversed with GM in any capacity. I don't attack fellow members of the Rush community, and then expect them to know that I'm just screwing around. Was I simply supposed to pull that insight down from the ether?

If you revisit her reply to me, do you see any indication that she's simply being playful? I don't have the time or energy to post on here as much as some of you, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to feel as though I'm a welcome member of the group and conversation.

I too have a great sense of humor, and am unfailingly forgiving. But I simply introduced what I intended to be an articulate, thoughtful statement that shouldn't by any stretch of the imagination be construed as hostile, and I was dismissed as "irrelevant."

You know what is so great about my initial post? I'm not even an old-school fan!

:hug2: <--------------------------------------------------------------- you are the blue one and guess "which ones pink"? :)
  • Like 1

Young Rush fans should remember that older fans kept the band alive as a viable artistic and entertainment commodity into the contemporary period. The old school fans matter too.

One of the most insightful things I've read on this board in a long time. +1 increase in armor class!

Kudos Coventry for pointing this out. Glad I didn't miss this one. Well said by both of you.....

Good heavens, who is saying that the old school fans don't matter? I haven't seen anyone say anything like that. I've seen people say that old school fans aren't automatically RIGHT about everything Rush-related, but that's definitely not the same thing as saying they don't matter.

Old school fans certainly matter, but they don't have any greater standing to pass judgment on any of Rush's works than newer fans. And newer fans definitely matter, because as much as "older fans kept the band alive as a viable artistic and entertainment commodity into the contemporary period" (whatever that means), newer fans have also kept the band alive as a viable artistic and entertainment commodity blah blah blah.

This is one of the most irrelevant statements I've ever seen about any real or imagined idiotic and pointless rivalries between old school fans and newer fans. Especially since these days it's the great swaths of casual fans that populate the vast lesser sections of the arenas on the tours that are keeping the band commercially viable just as much as it is committed fans arguing about stupid unprovable matters of personal taste and opinion.

When you go to parties, do you make a lot of friends? Or do you typically just play with the host's dog and/or cat? I apologize for introducing "one of the most irrelevant statements" that you have ever read about a "real or imagined idiotic and pointless" topic. Next time I will do a better job of toeing the party line. Please just forward the memo on that when you get a second.

You know what is so great about this post? I can answer it directly. I met GeddysMullet twice. Once when my van was broken down in an Exxon gas station parking lot an hour before an S&A concert was supposed to start, and another at a tailgate party before the Time Machine tour. She might have also been at the bar before the S&A show at MSG, but I got a bit loopy and can't remember all of who was there. Anyway, she's fun as hell, her and her husband are extremely nice and about as friendly and outgoing as they come. So yeah, she makes a lot of friends. :) TRF people have been known to hang out on occasion. It's cool, you should try it. :cheers:

For what it's worth, I believe both 'old' fans and 'new' fans each bring the band solid reasons for their longevity. I'm sure the band is happy for both.

That's good to hear. But please understand, I've never tailgated with GM. I've never conversed with GM in any capacity. I don't attack fellow members of the Rush community, and then expect them to know that I'm just screwing around. Was I simply supposed to pull that insight down from the ether?

If you revisit her reply to me, do you see any indication that she's simply being playful? I don't have the time or energy to post on here as much as some of you, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to feel as though I'm a welcome member of the group and conversation.

I too have a great sense of humor, and am unfailingly forgiving. But I simply introduced what I intended to be an articulate, thoughtful statement that shouldn't by any stretch of the imagination be construed as hostile, and I was dismissed as "irrelevant."

You know what is so great about my initial post? I'm not even an old-school fan!

Powderfinger, I'm sorry for making you feel unwelcome. I really didn't mean to do that, and I feel badly about that, because all I did was foist upon you something unfair that I as a newer fan have at times been subjected to by the kind of old-school fan who really does believe that their opinions are more valid than mine simply because they've been around for longer.

I suppose that I am far more fed up it is really worth being with people who are precious about their old-school fandom. Thank you for this reminder to return to my policy of shrugging and laughing instead of getting annoyed when I think someone is being stuck-up and exclusionary about who has been a fan for longer than whom, and please be assured that you are certainly welcome here, by me anyway. My use of words like "pointless" and "irrelevant" was meant to refer strictly to notions of superiority on the part of condescending old-school fans, and not to you personally in any way at all.

Again, I apologise :cheers:

• Like 4

"I am so appreciative of our fans; I bless their hearts every single day. But they are so hard to analyze as a group, because they are so different. We have hardcore fans—the old fans that have been there from the beginning. They're usually male, and they are really intense." - Geddy Lee

:D

• Like 3

Powderfinger, I'm sorry for making you feel unwelcome. I really didn't mean to do that, and I feel badly about that, because all I did was foist upon you something unfair that I as a newer fan have at times been subjected to by the kind of old-school fan who really does believe that their opinions are more valid than mine simply because they've been around for longer.

I suppose that I am far more fed up it is really worth being with people who are precious about their old-school fandom. Thank you for this reminder to return to my policy of shrugging and laughing instead of getting annoyed when I think someone is being stuck-up and exclusionary about who has been a fan for longer than whom, and please be assured that you are certainly welcome here, by me anyway. My use of words like "pointless" and "irrelevant" was meant to refer strictly to notions of superiority on the part of condescending old-school fans, and not to you personally in any way at all.

Now can we play Twister?
  • Like 4

Thank you, GM, for extending the olive branch. I too feel bad for taking your point so personally and seriously. I actually agree with you. If you search through my post history I don't think you'll find many examples, if any at all, of me arguing over subjective opinions. I was simply trying to suggest that we should be careful not to confuse meaningful criticism, based on a profound love of and loyalty to Rush, with "trolling." But in hindsight I might have been overreacting a bit, because, to your point, I don't think anyone was necessarily arguing otherwise.

Simply put, some of my own insecurities got the best of me. I'm not an "old school fan"--I'm 37, and loved the "Tom Sawyer" video as a kid, but didn't acquire my first album (Chronicles) until the Presto era. That said, I do prefer the "classic" period, which for me directly overlaps with Terry Brown in the producer's chair. And that can be a frustrating position to occupy, because I sometimes wonder if the music is the problem, or if I'm the problem. And that forms the headwaters of my own insecurity, which I perhaps allowed to get the better of me in my confrontational retort.

I enjoy most everything from P/G through Clockwork Angels, and the two times I've caught the band live were on the Counterparts and Clockwork Angels tours. But I do gravitate toward the earlier era. I guess my point is, go easy on those old fans. I'm only 37 and I already struggle to reconcile my personal convictions with a rapidly changing world (and would you believe that I'm a historian?). So I'm sympathetic toward fans who have been around since the early days, and helped sustain the band through difficult stretches, such as the "Down the Tubes Tour."

Thank you again for being the first to extend your hand in friendship. I appreciate it.

:cheers:

• Like 1

Thank you, GM, for extending the olive branch. I too feel bad for taking your point so personally and seriously. I actually agree with you. If you search through my post history I don't think you'll find many examples, if any at all, of me arguing over subjective opinions. I was simply trying to suggest that we should be careful not to confuse meaningful criticism, based on a profound love of and loyalty to Rush, with "trolling." But in hindsight I might have been overreacting a bit, because, to your point, I don't think anyone was necessarily arguing otherwise.

Simply put, some of my own insecurities got the best of me. I'm not an "old school fan"--I'm 37, and loved the "Tom Sawyer" video as a kid, but didn't acquire my first album (Chronicles) until the Presto era. That said, I do prefer the "classic" period, which for me directly overlaps with Terry Brown in the producer's chair. And that can be a frustrating position to occupy, because I sometimes wonder if the music is the problem, or if I'm the problem. And that forms the headwaters of my own insecurity, which I perhaps allowed to get the better of me in my confrontational retort.

I enjoy most everything from P/G through Clockwork Angels, and the two times I've caught the band live were on the Counterparts and Clockwork Angels tours. But I do gravitate toward the earlier era. I guess my point is, go easy on those old fans. I'm only 37 and I already struggle to reconcile my personal convictions with a rapidly changing world (and would you believe that I'm a historian?). So I'm sympathetic toward fans who have been around since the early days, and helped sustain the band through difficult stretches, such as the "Down the Tubes Tour."

Thank you again for being the first to extend your hand in friendship. I appreciate it.

Ok, for the third time this thread:

"GROUP HUG IN THE SHOWER"

Rob Schneider—The Longest Yard

• Like 1

Not to stir the nest again, but I can see what Narpet is saying. Without that devoted - indeed, idolatrous (is that even a word?) - fandom of the fans from the 70's and early 80's, it's arguable that Rush wouldn't have survived as the entity we know it as up to now. I'm far from an "old school fan" as well, having jumped on board in '89, but the fans that jumped on board in '76 and have stayed no matter how rocky the ride contributed a solid foundation for Rush.

• Like 2

Fork Adam Sandler - the least talented, most worthless, most fricking annoying screen persona of the past 30 years. He can't act; he's not funny; he has no ability to play any character except Adam Sandler, and he annoys the shit out of me. Jackass.

Edit: Hopefully that's an irrelevant enough comment...

Edited by coventry
  • Like 1

"I am so appreciative of our fans; I bless their hearts every single day. But they are so hard to analyze as a group, because they are so different. We have hardcore fans—the old fans that have been there from the beginning. They're usually male, and they are really intense." - Geddy Lee

For chrissakes, Geddy- I'm a girl, dammit! :LOL:

• Like 4

Pic's for proof? :)
  • Like 1

I have vague recollections of sending pictures of me aged about 8 to the Rush Backstage Club (way back when it was really a fan club) :blush: , so maybe Geddy has blanked all memory of this and convinced himself that 8 year old female Rush fans never existed! :scared:

I have vague recollections of sending pictures of me aged about 8 to the Rush Backstage Club (way back when it was really a fan club) :blush: , so maybe Geddy has blanked all memory of this and convinced himself that 8 year old female Rush fans never existed! :scared:

:LOL:

He did say "usually male," and not "ALWAYS male"! ;)

I think the bottom line here is that we all love our band, and we all have good reasons for feeling that way regardless of how long we've been listening to them or which album or era is our favourite. And it's a good thing. I feel fortunate to have a band I can feel this strongly about, and to have fellow fans who feel just as strongly. Even if we're not always in agreement about all the particulars, and the degree of passion brought to the discussion sometimes causes some ruffled feathers, it's great to be a :rush: fan! :yes:

:rush: on, my friend! :D

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 7

I think the bottom line here is that we all love our band, and we all have good reasons for feeling that way regardless of how long we've been listening to them or which album or era is our favourite. And it's a good thing. I feel fortunate to have a band I can feel this strongly about, and to have fellow fans who feel just as strongly. Even if we're not always in agreement about all the particulars, and the degree of passion brought to the discussion sometimes causes some ruffled feathers, it's great to be a :rush: fan! :yes:

:rush: on, my friend! :D

It just occurred to me...this is a website dedicated to a band. It's not THAT important

I think trolls are people bored and bent on trying to find that one thing that will entertain them or somehow bring meaning to whatever it is they're lacking.

Trolls cannot accept that their trash is another man's treasure.

You mean like how AFtK and Hemispheres are my trash but they're half of this forums treasure?

• Like 2

I think trolls are people bored and bent on trying to find that one thing that will entertain them or somehow bring meaning to whatever it is they're lacking.

You mean like how AFtK and Hemispheres are my trash but they're half of this forums treasure?

See now that's just coked up crazy talk ;)
  • Like 1

The imaginary fan hierarchy runs on a strict seniority system. Those are the imaginary union rules. I didn't make the imaginary rules up, i just appointed myself to the imaginary spokesperson role.

Imagine that? It's all just an illusion. TRF Trolls don't exist.

• Like 1

Exactly.

• Like 1

The imaginary fan hierarchy runs on a strict seniority system. Those are the imaginary union rules. I didn't make the imaginary rules up, i just appointed myself to the imaginary spokesperson role.

Imagine that? It's all just an illusion. TRF Trolls don't exist.

All Rush fans are equal. It is just that some are more equal than others.

• Like 3

You know what is so great about this post? I can answer it directly. I met GeddysMullet twice. Once when my van was broken down in an Exxon gas station parking lot an hour before an S&amp;A concert was supposed to start, and another at a tailgate party before the Time Machine tour. She might have also been at the bar before the S&amp;A show at MSG, but I got a bit loopy and can't remember all of who was there. Anyway, she's fun as hell, her and her husband are extremely nice and about as friendly and outgoing as they come. So yeah, she makes a lot of friends. :) TRF people have been known to hang out on occasion. It's cool, you should try it. :cheers:

Fork Adam Sandler - the least talented, most worthless, most fricking annoying screen persona of the past 30 years. He can't act; he's not funny; he has no ability to play any character except Adam Sandler, and he annoys the shit out of me. Jackass.

Edit: Hopefully that's an irrelevant enough comment...

He flamed out long ago