TRF Trolls: hopeless cases, or is it just a phase disgruntled fans go through?

Tombstone Mountain

Trolling for acrimony  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Can these people changentheir stripes?

• Sure, it's just a maturity issue—give 'em time
    • Uhhh no, they're hopelessly addicted to the thrill of tweaking Rush fans

Yes, so the 70's and early 80's was better music as pretty much everyone around here knows I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

You say that like it's a fact or something.

I find the 70's to be kind of "meh" compared to what they did throughout the 80's. For me, Permanent Waves is the when Rush became more than just a stonerish Prog band. Don't get me wrong, I still love a lot of the earlier stuff, but most of it pales in comparison to what came afterwards. I'd listen to POW and HYF over AFTK and Hemispheres.

Just wanted to make sure all of the forum understands what I meant here. Dscrapre and I got it straightened out. I am pretty sure sentence structure was omitted from my sh*ty education growing up. Allow me to clarify. I believe and think that the music of my band was better for me and me alone in the 70's and early 80's. :sigh: I feel better.... :)
  • Like 1

Yes, so the 70's and early 80's was better music as pretty much everyone around here knows I believe.

I find the 70's to be kind of "meh" compared to what they did throughout the 80's. For me, Permanent Waves is the when Rush became more than just a stonerish Prog band. Don't get me wrong, I still love a lot of the earlier stuff, but most of it pales in comparison to what came afterwards. I'd listen to POW and HYF over AFTK and Hemispheres.

Just wanted to make sure all of the forum understands what I meant here. Dscrapre and I got it straightened out. I am pretty sure sentence structure was omitted from my sh*ty education growing up. Allow me to clarify. I believe and think that the music of my band was better for me and me alone in the 70's and early 80's. :sigh: I feel better.... :)

Didn't we have a group hug in the shower over this already?
  • Like 1

Didn't we have a group hug in the shower over this already?

We did but I don't recall the rest of the forum in there. I am pretty sure I would remember and have taken special note of a few of them anyway..... :blush: :7up: :drool:
  • Like 1

Being a true fan of a band partly involves appreciating its complexities. And complexities partly and inherently stem from failure. A great band is inherently a band that has failed. I personally find it difficult to love any artist or band that doesn't have a capacity for making mistakes. I couldn't imagine loving perfection.

Why is it not okay with so many of you to not like everything Rush has done, and will do? Why are you confusing fans who prefer to celebrate an earlier version of Rush with "trolls"?

Young Rush fans should remember that older fans kept the band alive as a viable artistic and entertainment commodity into the contemporary period. The old school fans matter too.

• Like 3

On TRF "troll" is largely defined as one who's opinion stands against or away from herd consensus.

I think that's sometimes true. But I also think that you exaggerate your discontempt to appear more raw. But whatever, we all get our kicks from somewhere. Hell, I even have agreed with you on occasion. It's just that when I do, all there is in response from the board is the desolate rolling of tumbleweeds.

I'm with JohnnyBlaze on this one. Maybe I am a troll

Half-troll. I thought we clarified that.

http://www.lotro.com/sites/default/files/store_images/quest_pack_page/en/angmar_shot.png

• Like 1

On TRF "troll" is largely defined as one who's opinion stands against or away from herd consensus.

I think that's sometimes true. But I also think that you exaggerate your discontempt to appear more raw. But whatever, we all get our kicks from somewhere. Hell, I even have agreed with you on occasion. It's just that when I do, all there is in response from the board is the desolate rolling of tumbleweeds.

I'm with JohnnyBlaze on this one. Maybe I am a troll

Half-troll. I thought we clarified that.

http://www.lotro.com/sites/default/files/store_images/quest_pack_page/en/angmar_shot.png

There's been a lot of little clarifications missed around here lately.

• Like 1

A big sign is comparing their current direction with the 70's, then bitching about how they've lost their way

Damn that was a close one. Good thing I liked the early 80's too....... ;) :sigh:

http://www.mithril.ie/Files/95564/Img/19/ms536-half-troll-angmar.jpgWe shall call you Angmar, the Half-Troll standard bearer! Member Title!

Get used to this member title dude—it fits.

Angmar the Asphyxiator of late era Rush...how appropriate.

• Like 2

Young Rush fans should remember that older fans kept the band alive as a viable artistic and entertainment commodity into the contemporary period. The old school fans matter too.

One of the most insightful things I've read on this board in a long time. +1 increase in armor class!

• Like 4

One of the most insightful things I've read on this board in a long time. +1 increase in armor class!

Kudos Coventry for pointing this out. Glad I didn't miss this one. Well said by both of you.....
  • Like 1

Kudos Coventry for pointing this out. Glad I didn't miss this one. Well said by both of you.....

Good heavens, who is saying that the old school fans don't matter? I haven't seen anyone say anything like that. I've seen people say that old school fans aren't automatically RIGHT about everything Rush-related, but that's definitely not the same thing as saying they don't matter.

Old school fans certainly matter, but they don't have any greater standing to pass judgment on any of Rush's works than newer fans. And newer fans definitely matter, because as much as "older fans kept the band alive as a viable artistic and entertainment commodity into the contemporary period" (whatever that means), newer fans have also kept the band alive as a viable artistic and entertainment commodity blah blah blah.

This is one of the most irrelevant statements I've ever seen about any real or imagined idiotic and pointless rivalries between old school fans and newer fans. Especially since these days it's the great swaths of casual fans that populate the vast lesser sections of the arenas on the tours that are keeping the band commercially viable just as much as it is committed fans arguing about stupid unprovable matters of personal taste and opinion.

• Like 3

Good heavens, who is saying that the old school fans don't matter? I haven't seen anyone say anything like that. I've seen people say that old school fans aren't automatically RIGHT about everything Rush-related, but that's definitely not the same thing as saying they don't matter.

Old school fans certainly matter, but they don't have any greater standing to pass judgment on any of Rush's works than newer fans. And newer fans definitely matter, because as much as "older fans kept the band alive as a viable artistic and entertainment commodity into the contemporary period" (whatever that means), newer fans have also kept the band alive as a viable artistic and entertainment commodity blah blah blah.

This is one of the most irrelevant statements I've ever seen about any real or imagined idiotic and pointless rivalries between old school fans and newer fans. Especially since these days it's the great swaths of casual fans that populate the vast lesser sections of the arenas on the tours that are keeping the band commercially viable just as much as it is committed fans arguing about stupid unprovable matters of personal taste and opinion.

Caught some shrapnel on that one... :)
  • Like 1

When GM rips you a new one its probably long overdue.

When GM rips you a new one its probably long overdue.

Probably could use a new one anyway. The old one is pretty old so...... :D-13:
  • Like 1

When you go to parties, do you make a lot of friends? Or do you typically just play with the host's dog and/or cat? I apologize for introducing "one of the most irrelevant statements" that you have ever read about a "real or imagined idiotic and pointless" topic. Next time I will do a better job of toeing the party line. Please just forward the memo on that when you get a second.

• Like 1

When you go to parties, do you make a lot of friends? Or do you typically just play with the host's dog and/or cat? I apologize for introducing "one of the most irrelevant statements" that you have ever read about a "real or imagined idiotic and pointless" topic. Next time I will do a better job of toeing the party line. Please just forward the memo on that when you get a second.

:LOL:

When you go to parties, do you spend a lot of time finding out how long each person there has been friends with the host, and telling people you matter because you've known the host for such a long time?

• Like 1

You know what is so great about this post? I can answer it directly. I met GeddysMullet twice. Once when my van was broken down in an Exxon gas station parking lot an hour before an S&A concert was supposed to start, and another at a tailgate party before the Time Machine tour. She might have also been at the bar before the S&A show at MSG, but I got a bit loopy and can't remember all of who was there. Anyway, she's fun as hell, her and her husband are extremely nice and about as friendly and outgoing as they come. So yeah, she makes a lot of friends. :) TRF people have been known to hang out on occasion. It's cool, you should try it. :cheers:

For what it's worth, I believe both 'old' fans and 'new' fans each bring the band solid reasons for their longevity. I'm sure the band is happy for both.

• Like 3

What are you kidding? Chick is first one to get Twister going at any bash...then it's Jenga

You know what is so great about this post? I can answer it directly. I met GeddysMullet twice. Once when my van was broken down in an Exxon gas station parking lot an hour before an S&A concert was supposed to start, and another at a tailgate party before the Time Machine tour. She might have also been at the bar before the S&A show at MSG, but I got a bit loopy and can't remember all of who was there. Anyway, she's fun as hell, her and her husband are extremely nice and about as friendly and outgoing as they come. So yeah, she makes a lot of friends. :) TRF people have been known to hang out on occasion. It's cool, you should try it. :cheers:

For what it's worth, I believe both 'old' fans and 'new' fans each bring the band solid reasons for their longevity. I'm sure the band is happy for both.

So those rumors of GMs' niceness were not exaggerated after all.......Good to know. Thanks Pags :P :D-13:
  • Like 1

What are you kidding? Chick is first one to get Twister going at any bash...then it's Jenga

Then Scrabble......... :LOL: I am up for Twister BTW :blush:
  • Like 1

Lets just enjoy the band for Pete's sake. Older fans with never know what the newer fans feel and newer fans will never know what its like to lock yourself in your bedroom back in the 70's experiencing this great "new' band and sound that you somehow discovered. Oh almost forgot the cheesy strobe and black lights too......... :facepalm: :blush: :) Edited by Narpet
  • Like 2

That's good to hear. But please understand, I've never tailgated with GM. I've never conversed with GM in any capacity. I don't attack fellow members of the Rush community, and then expect them to know that I'm just screwing around. Was I simply supposed to pull that insight down from the ether?

If you revisit her reply to me, do you see any indication that she's simply being playful? I don't have the time or energy to post on here as much as some of you, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to feel as though I'm a welcome member of the group and conversation.

I too have a great sense of humor, and am unfailingly forgiving. But I simply introduced what I intended to be an articulate, thoughtful statement that shouldn't by any stretch of the imagination be construed as hostile, and I was dismissed as "irrelevant."

You know what is so great about my initial post? I'm not even an old-school fan!

• Like 2

That's good to hear. But please understand, I've never tailgated with GM. I've never conversed with GM in any capacity. I don't attack fellow members of the Rush community, and then expect them to know that I'm just screwing around. Was I simply supposed to pull that insight down from the ether?

If you revisit her reply to me, do you see any indication that she's simply being playful? I don't have the time or energy to post on here as much as some of you, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to feel as though I'm a welcome member of the group and conversation.

I too have a great sense of humor, and am unfailingly forgiving. But I simply introduced what I intended to be an articulate, thoughtful statement that shouldn't by any stretch of the imagination be construed as hostile, and I was dismissed as "irrelevant."

You know what is so great about my initial post? I'm not even an old-school fan!

Touche'