Zeppelin Live

ILSnwdog

obviously I've never seen em, but I think they were at their live peak from 69-71 and somewhere around the time they became the biggest band in the world they got sloppy

I have a handful of boots from the '69-'71 era and they were full of energy and hungry back then. Some of the boots from '73-on are hard to listen to, especially the Song Remains live album. I'm sure like alot of bands they battled the "going thru the motions, just punchin' the old time clock" mentallity and it seems to have gottn the better of them in their last 5 years or so. I've always been curious what LZ wouldve been like had Bonham not died. I suppose Plant's early 80's solo albums would be somewhere in the ballpark.

I heard a rock critic a couple years ago talking about the Rolling Stones (it might have been on Bob Boylan's show on NPR) and addressing what Bob called Keith Richards' "sloppy playing" (a term I had used myself).

The critic said: no, it wasn't sloppy, it was LOOSE. Keith knows exactly where the groove is and he pushes his notes right to the edge. That's what makes him great.

Man, that comment really opened my eyes.

Anyhoo, I think some of that applies to Jimmy Page, as well.

I no longer confuse loose with sloppy.

I don't know. I was listening to Rainbow Live in Germany today. Every song is a 10+ minute jam session. But Blackmore (and I prefer Page to him) didn't sound "sloppy" even when he was noodling around.

At the end of the day, the difference between sloppy and loose comes down to how much you like the artist in question.

Not necessarily. I love Alex and I find him sloppy at times. It really balances out this band though. Geddy and Neil are soooo tight. If Alex were also "tight" the band would sound mathematical and missing that raw edge.

I read an interview once where Geddy was talking about how he and Neil would painstakingly go over parts for days making sure they were perfect and then Alex would just stroll in and lay something brilliant over top of it.

Don't confuse sloppy with bad. Greatness never comes out of somebody who plays "safe".

• Like 3

I love Page's playing. But, especially towards the end, he could definitely be sloppy. "Hot Dog" played live is a perfect example. Listening to the guitar solo of that song, which definitely doesn't sound easy to begin with, can sound really bad depending on which night's bootleg you're listening to.

I'd still kill to be able to say I saw them back in the day. I used to get pissed when I'd hear that Plant didn't want to get back together with the boys. But, the more you think about it, he simply wouldn't be able to pull it off anymore. It's probably better this way. There's nothing worse than seeing an aging rock band trying to recapture what once was and failing miserably.

There are a lot of boots on yotube for Led Zep that are listed under The Nobs. Led Zep toured in 1970 and did a show billed as The Nobs due to some legal action from Von Zeppelin.

A great start to a Led Zep concert. A "lights out" concert hall with this playing as an intro ? Priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZYZo03PZk0

Edited by custom55

I heard a rock critic a couple years ago talking about the Rolling Stones (it might have been on Bob Boylan's show on NPR) and addressing what Bob called Keith Richards' "sloppy playing" (a term I had used myself).

The critic said: no, it wasn't sloppy, it was LOOSE. Keith knows exactly where the groove is and he pushes his notes right to the edge. That's what makes him great.

Man, that comment really opened my eyes.

Anyhoo, I think some of that applies to Jimmy Page, as well.

I no longer confuse loose with sloppy.

I don't know. I was listening to Rainbow Live in Germany today. Every song is a 10+ minute jam session. But Blackmore (and I prefer Page to him) didn't sound "sloppy" even when he was noodling around.

I have that album, too (or at least some tracks from it) and I agree; Blackmore is definitely not sloppy. Or loose. That wasn't ever his style. Blackmore's strength, I think, came from his incredible sense of timing. He was the anti-loose guitarist.

Next time you listen to Rainbow, pay attention during Blackmore's solos. He often created rhythms entirely separate from the song! That's what I love about him so much.

Page was a studio master. I love his studio work, his layers...just great stuff.

Live.....it does not translate.

• Like 2

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-top-50-songs/

Top 50 Led Zeppelin Songs:

No. 50: ‘For Your Life

No. 49: ‘The Song Remains the Same

No. 48: ‘In the Evening

No. 47: ‘Good Times Bad Times

No. 46: ‘Ten Years Gone

No. 45: ‘The Wanton Song

No. 44: ‘Your Time is Gonna Come

No. 43: ‘All My Love

No. 42: ‘Houses of the Holy

No. 41: ‘Thank You’

No. 40: ‘Custard Pie’

No. 39: ‘Since I’ve Been Loving You

No. 38: ‘In the Light

No. 37: ‘The Rain Song

No. 36: ‘Four Sticks

No. 35: ‘Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

No. 34: ‘The Rover

No. 33: ‘The Ocean

No. 32: ‘You Shook Me

No. 31: ‘The Battle of Evermore

No. 30: ‘Fool in the Rain

No. 29: ‘Celebration Day

No. 28: ‘Nobody’s Fault But Mine

No. 27: ‘Communication Breakdown

No. 26: ‘Bring it on Home

No. 25: ‘Out on the Tiles

No. 24: ‘What is and What Should Never Be

No. 23: ‘Immigrant Song

No. 22: ‘Achilles’ Last Stand

No. 21: ‘Heartbreaker / Living Loving Maid

No. 20: ‘Gallows Pole

No. 19: ‘Dancing Days

No. 18: ‘Friends

No. 17: ‘Going to California

No. 16: ‘Trampled Underfoot

No. 15: ‘Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You

No. 14: ‘Over the Hills and Far Away

No. 13: ‘When the Levee Breaks

No. 12: ‘That’s the Way

No. 11: ‘Rock and Roll

No. 10: ‘No Quarter

No. 9: ‘How Many More Times

No. 8: ‘Misty Mountain Hop

No. 7: ‘Ramble On

No. 6: ‘In My Time of Dying

No. 5: ‘Dazed and Confused

No. 4: ‘Black Dog

No. 3: ‘Stairway to Heaven

No. 2: ‘Whole Lotta Love

No. 1: ‘Kashmir

In My Time of Dying

Custard Pie

The Rover

Ten Years Gone

In The Light

Can you tell what my favorite Led Zeppelin album is?

Based on the live stuff I've heard, I'd say 90% of the time they were razor sharp and played with passion and precision. Their attitude on stage was always to take the music far beyond the records, to push themselves as far as possible, to take chances and to improvise which allowed the possibility for the real magic to happen. After '73 they only did three tours anyway.
  • Like 1

I think it wasn't that they always bad live, it's more that they had their good days and bad days.

They weren't one of those bands where every last note is rehearsed and set in stone. Zeppelin left in lots of space to improvise and go off on tangents...the end result was that sometimes it really really worked and was magical, and sometimes it sucked donkey balls

this is spot on.

So it was with a lot of other "genius" bands... Nirvana, Guns'N'Roses. Their studio work was great.

Based on the live stuff I've heard, I'd say 90% of the time they were razor sharp and played with passion and precision. Their attitude on stage was always to take the music far beyond the records, to push themselves as far as possible, to take chances and to improvise which allowed the possibility for the real magic to happen. After '73 they only did three tours anyway.

Plant's car accident in 75 and the death of this son in 77 really impacted the band from writing and touring.
  • Like 1

Today I heard a DJ on XM going off on Robert Plant because she saw a video of him jamming out some Zeppelin tunes with another band, and that it was horrible that he won't get back together with the rest of the band so younger generations could hear them live.

Am I missing something? Every live track that I have heard from Zeppelin sucks. It sounds sloppy and sort of hallow. In my eyes, zeppelin was a band at their best in the studio.

Thoughts?

Die!!!

*Sobs in corner alone*

obviously I've never seen em, but I think they were at their live peak from 69-71 and somewhere around the time they became the biggest band in the world they got sloppy. there are still some powerful performances out there, but they were off a lot from what I've seen and heard. they did have a powerful stage presence and their shows had a cool vibe though (I'm basing this off videos I've seen, I dunno how their live shows actually were if you were an audience member)

All the early performances I've heard are tight and powerful. I can only imagine the "sloppy" criticism comes from Page's later playing (I can understand that, whereas I don't know where the criticism of Jones, Bonham and Plant would come from). To be fair though, the guy is usually playing parts better suited for multiple guitars.

The BBC Live performances are amazing. Most of what was put on the Zeppelin DVD was amazing (not celebration day or the song remains the same). They were unpredictable and dangerous, which means, especially in the later years, sometimes they were gods and other times they were sloppy. But always something new. I always wished that Rush had a little more Zeppelin in them for their live performances.

I love Page's playing. But, especially towards the end, he could definitely be sloppy. "Hot Dog" played live is a perfect example. Listening to the guitar solo of that song, which definitely doesn't sound easy to begin with, can sound really bad depending on which night's bootleg you're listening to.

I'd still kill to be able to say I saw them back in the day. I used to get pissed when I'd hear that Plant didn't want to get back together with the boys. But, the more you think about it, he simply wouldn't be able to pull it off anymore. It's probably better this way. There's nothing worse than seeing an aging rock band trying to recapture what once was and failing miserably.

But the funny thing is, he messed up the intro in the studio and never corrected it. Ditto on Plant on Misty Mountain Hop, and Jonesy on All of My Love and the whole beginning of Black Country Woman. The whole "they were perfectionists in the studio and sloppy live" is wrong on both parts.

I wish Rush were a little more sloppy and spontaneous live.. That's always been the knock on them.. They are TOO good .. It's nice to see some raw , spontaneous energy

I wish Rush were a little more sloppy and spontaneous live.. That's always been the knock on them.. They are TOO good .. It's nice to see some raw , spontaneous energy

I wouldn't say sloppy but if rush would mix shit up and not have their concerts be such a choreographed production that'd be nice.