Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP! PLEASE!!!

Mara

Katy Perry and Adam Levine.

You are both everywhere and I cannot escape the aural assault of unintelligible caterwauling that the two of you have managed to pass off as "singing".

I bitched about Moron 5 the other day, saying something about how criminal it is for people to make millions fooling the masses with Auto Tune. I was immediately - and indignantly - "corrected" by a fan of theirs (female, of course) who practically shouted, "Songs About Jane was NOT auto-tuned!" Oh, so Levine just naturally sounds like he got his junk slammed in a car door, then. Okay.

Those two are everywhere, all the time. Ads all over the place - Perry's got some gig with Windows which makes me want to punch Bill Gates. The other night I was happily tuned in to the gym TV, watching "Castle" as I did cardio. The ad for Levine's stupid clothing line came on so I hit the mute button as fast as I could. You guessed it - a Maroon5 song was blasting from the gym speakers. (I do not bring my own music because I sweat too much and would ruin my S4).

Why do women - the majority fanbase for both - tend to have such shitty taste in music???

Yes, I despise Bieber and Taylor Swift and ugly little Miley Cyrus as well, but for some reason I seem to have better luck avoiding their performances. I can deal with seeing them on the web - I just hie myself to TRF quickly, as I know it is a safe refuge!

Edited by Mara
  • Like 14

You are both everywhere and I cannot escape the aural assault of unintelligible caterwauling that the two of you have managed to pass of as "singing".

I bitched about Moron 5 the other day, saying something about how criminal it is for people to make millions fooling the masses with Auto Tune. I was immediately - and indignantly - "corrected" by a fan of theirs (female, of course) who practically shouted, "Songs About Jane was NOT auto-tuned!" Oh, so Levine just naturally sounds like he got his junk slammed in a car door, then. Okay.

Those two are everywhere, all the time. Ads all over the place - Perry's got some gig with Windows which makes me want to punch Bill Gates. The other night I was happily tuned in to the gym TV, watching "Castle" as I did cardio. The ad for Levine's stupid clothing line came on so I hit the mute button as fast as I could. You guessed it - a Maroon5 song was blasting from the gym speakers. (I do not bring my own music because I sweat too much and would ruin my S4).

Why do women - the majority fanbase for both - tend to have such shitty taste in music???

Yes, I despise Bieber and Taylor Swift and ugly little Miley Cyrus as well, but for some reason I seem to have better luck avoiding their performances. I can deal with seeing them on the web - I just hie myself to TRF quickly, as I know it is a safe refuge!

Good move coming to us. Do you have access to a punching bag? You might want to blow off some steam. I know i do whenever Autotune hits my eardrum. :rage:

Pig tailing on Aikenrooster's sentiments.... I am much the same. I think my aversion to the here and now as it pertains to music and pop culture is a little extreme. My wife say's she keeps up and stay's hip to it for our now adult children's sake. She want's to be on educated and informed ground when they discuss such things. I think my Daddy skills are pretty good, but I draw the line on that front. I am quite content for her to be the "hip" one and I the old stubborn geezer... :) :codger:
  • Like 2

I have a seventeen year old son who hates pop music (and loves Rush) as much as I do. If anything, he hates pop music even more than I do. Of course, he has to go to high school whereas I can pretty easily avoid 99% of it.
  • Like 3

Pig tailing on Aikenrooster's sentiments.... I am much the same. I think my aversion to the here and now as it pertains to music and pop culture is a little extreme. My wife say's she keeps up and stay's hip to it for our now adult children's sake. She want's to be on educated and informed ground when they discuss such things. I think my Daddy skills are pretty good, but I draw the line on that front. I am quite content for her to be the "hip" one and I the old stubborn geezer... :) :codger:

Crackin' the whip and playing the stick in the mud...you rock geezer!
  • Like 1

I got free Sirius XM with my new car and it is a godsend. Between that and mp3/CDs, there is no reason for me to ever have to suffer through pop music again. Like others here, I've never liked the "pop" genre, of ANY era.

I just hate being a captive audience to shit like the subjects of my rant. And thank you - I know I have kindred spirits here and it's most comforting. :)

• Like 1

Excellent rant, Mara! :ebert: :ebert:

If only the pop music moguls had your wisdom....

Don't know anything about Perry or Levine. Don't know what they even look like.

In regards to pop...

I think some of David Bowie's stuff has been grouped in the pop genre. And I like a lot of that guy's music.

Who cares what genre something is? If someone somehow labeled Rush pop, country, or hip-hop, it wouldn't change a thing

You are both everywhere and I cannot escape the aural assault of unintelligible caterwauling that the two of you have managed to pass off as "singing".

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I like you better and better for every of your posts I read :yes:

:goodone:

Before I left my job at the hotel sometimes we would put the radio on whilst we were cleaning a room. When I was by myself I would stick a rock channel on but the others weren't into rock so I usually had to grit my teeth when they put one of the pop ones on.... Made me look forward to the end of the day so I could put my earphones in and rock out to Rush, Maiden, Magnum, Tull, Vai, Malmsteen, Opeth etc all the way home!! :haz:

It was always a relief to be able to do that!!

• Like 2

Before I left my job at the hotel sometimes we would put the radio on whilst we were cleaning a room. When I was by myself I would stick a rock channel on but the others weren't into rock so I usually had to grit my teeth when they put one of the pop ones on.... Made me look forward to the end of the day so I could put my earphones in and rock out to Rush, Maiden, Magnum, Tull, Vai, Malmsteen, Opeth etc all the way home!! :haz:

It was always a relief to be able to do that!!

:goodone:

You need to read her romantic Rush fiction—titillating! I love that word.

I've not seen that - is there a link?

I've not seen that - is there a link?

Turn the page subforum

Not to steal Mara's thunder, but what I really can't stand is why Fox News has to be on everywhere you go ... well, why does the TV have to be on everywhere? Doctors' waiting rooms, restaurants, lobbies, etc., conversation is being discouraged, it seems. It's as if they just want you to sit there and be indoctrinated. It is pitiful. I try to use my headphones, or get my food to go,or whatever, but it can't be completely avoided.

And then my wife has to watch Good Morning, er GMA, sorry, we're supposed to abbreviate everything, on the few days I am home .... drives me bonkers. They cover real important stuff like cats stuck in trees, celebrity gossip, and Miley Cyrus.

• Like 2

Not to steal Mara's thunder, but what I really can't stand is why Fox News has to be on everywhere you go ... well, why does the TV have to be on everywhere? Doctors' waiting rooms, restaurants, lobbies, etc., conversation is being discouraged, it seems. It's as if they just want you to sit there and be indoctrinated. It is pitiful. I try to use my headphones, or get my food to go,or whatever, but it can't be completely avoided.

And then my wife has to watch Good Morning, er GMA, sorry, we're supposed to abbreviate everything, on the few days I am home .... drives me bonkers. They cover real important stuff like cats stuck in trees, celebrity gossip, and Miley Cyrus.

You been to a gym lately? A F ing television in front of every piece of equipment.... :facepalm: No conversation is had :(

You been to a gym lately? A F ing television in front of every piece of equipment.... :facepalm: No conversation is had :(

If I have to work out indoors, I do like being able to watch TV while doing cardio. Cardio is boring, plus I make a game out of it sometimes ("OK, I'm going up-tempo during the main program and alternate sprint/rest intervals on the ads"). I don't understand how anyone could lift and watch TV at the same time. I'm not that coordinated and would end up either breaking myself, part of the building, or another person. I admit I do not talk much at the gym - I'm there to work out and get out. On the flip side I don't ever go on Saturdays because of the football fans standing around in everyone's way "coaching" and hooting, "GO DAWGS!" Jeez, people, do you not have a TV at home? Go do your color commentary there and get out of my way.

The gym I belong to does not do Fox News because it's caused fights in the past. At least that's the reason given.

If I have to work out indoors, I do like being able to watch TV while doing cardio. Cardio is boring, plus I make a game out of it sometimes ("OK, I'm going up-tempo during the main program and alternate sprint/rest intervals on the ads"). I don't understand how anyone could lift and watch TV at the same time. I'm not that coordinated and would end up either breaking myself, part of the building, or another person. I admit I do not talk much at the gym - I'm there to work out and get out. On the flip side I don't ever go on Saturdays because of the football fans standing around in everyone's way "coaching" and hooting, "GO DAWGS!" Jeez, people, do you not have a TV at home? Go do your color commentary there and get out of my way.

The gym I belong to does not do Fox News because it's caused fights in the past. At least that's the reason given.

My gym certainly has Fox News for sure. I do the same running/walking thing too but I use music to lift me up and cool me down. Try running with AC/DC's Let There Be Rock banging in you ears. You won't want to stop. :)

The morning network "news" shows are all sh!t.