My departure from Rush

Freeze-Frame

I've only been a rush fan for about 4 or 5 years but I don't see myself ever leaving them behind, and I've certainly never been offended by any of their lyrics

I've never cared about whether or not the people singing the songs I like agree with me on everything either.

Hey, I can see the anti-religious nature of Rush just in their name. For those old enough to remember the 80's, there was some school teacher who told his students the name was a moniker for Rebels Under Satan's Hand. Wait, are you telling me that isn't true????

Is it true?

Freeze-Frame,

First, let me applaud you for taking the time to sort out Rush's music and possible conflict with your faith and for sharing your story here.

Second, welcome back to the Rush fold and to TRF, this really is a community of some very fine individuals.

Third, I have been a Christian for as many years as I've been a Rush fan and as the lovely and wise Librarian has so beautifully stated, their music and lyrics empower and inspire me as much as they entertain me.

I do not find Neil's lyrics to be offensive or even opposed to God in the slightest.

Quite the opposite in fact, they have challenged certain areas of my thought process, faith and walk with Jesus that I simply hadn’t considered before.

If I interpret his lyrics (at times) to be anti religion, they seem (to me) to be written as a result of the hypocrisy he sees in the religious establishment and not of God himself.

As, I imagine, most people here can attest to, there is a big difference between having faith or a relationship with God vs. simply being religious.

You may recall that in scripture Jesus saved his harshest criticism for the outwardly religious, but who were inwardly hypocrites and lacked faith or desire for faith.

I read something that stuck with me few years ago in a book entitled, "Wisdom Hunter" by Randall Arthur, it is the concept of "Blind Believing vs. Honest Questioning".

I believe that Neil's assessment of the religious landscape is just that, "Honest Questioning", and I can find no fault in that or in his using his art as a platform to discuss his ideas.

That, I suppose, is why I appreciate a song like BU2B so very much musically and lyrically.

IlSnwdog could not have said it any better when he said earlier in this thread,

"Also, I'm a Christian, and Neal's lyrics have never bothered me. I don't view it as Neal bashing Christianity, but communicating his views on his terms. He's entitled to his views just as I'm entitled to mine. If more people had an attitude like that regarding beliefs, they would probably be a whole lot less fighting in the world."

Again, I applaud you taking the time to do some "Honest Questioning" and for your returning.

Regardless of the varying viewpoints shared on this forum, I have always found the people here to be most respectful of other people’s viewpoints and really have a genuine love and concern of their fellow TRFers, regardless of what their worldview may be.

That is what makes this site so amazing and what causes me to continue to spend time here.

~Love, Hope, Rush.

ReGorLaTroy

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 8

Freeze-Frame,

First, let me applaud you for taking the time to sort out Rush's music and possible conflict with your faith and for sharing your story here.

Second, welcome back to the Rush fold and to TRF, this really is a community of some very fine individuals.

Third, I have been a Christian for as many years as I've been a Rush fan and as the lovely and wise Librarian has so beautifully stated, their music and lyrics empower and inspire me as much as they entertain me.

I do not find Neil's lyrics to be offensive or even opposed to God in the slightest.

Quite the opposite in fact, they have challenged certain areas of my thought process, faith and walk with Jesus that I simply hadn’t considered before.

If I interpret his lyrics (at times) to be anti religion, they seem (to me) to be written as a result of the hypocrisy he sees in the religious establishment and not of God himself.

As, I imagine, most people here can attest to, there is a big difference between having faith or a relationship with God vs. simply being religious.

You may recall that in scripture Jesus saved his harshest criticism for the outwardly religious, but who were inwardly hypocrites and lacked faith or desire for faith.

I read something that stuck with me few years ago in a book entitled, "Wisdom Hunter" by Randall Arthur, it is the concept of "Blind Believing vs. Honest Questioning".

I believe that Neil's assessment of the religious landscape is just that, "Honest Questioning", and I can find no fault in that or in his using his art as a platform to discuss his ideas.

That, I suppose, is why I appreciate a song like BU2B so very much musically and lyrically.

IlSnwdog could not have said it any better when he said earlier in this thread,

"Also, I'm a Christian, and Neal's lyrics have never bothered me. I don't view it as Neal bashing Christianity, but communicating his views on his terms. He's entitled to his views just as I'm entitled to mine. If more people had an attitude like that regarding beliefs, they would probably be a whole lot less fighting in the world."

Again, I applaud you taking the time to do some "Honest Questioning" and for your returning.

Regardless of the varying viewpoints shared on this forum, I have always found the people here to be most respectful of other people’s viewpoints and really have a genuine love and concern of their fellow TRFers, regardless of what their worldview may be.

That is what makes this site so amazing and what causes me to continue to spend time here.

~Love, Hope, Rush.

ReGorLaTroy

well said!

We're well on our way to setting a new record for bad metaphors in this thread.

Rush comes in waves, much like visiting and posting on this board.

Sometimes I surround myself with their music; other times I watch them from the shoreline; and still other times I'm deep inland and the crash of the waves is very faint indeed. Still - I always return to their ocean at some point.

Their music fills a need in me that no other artist can do in entirety - and for that reason alone I always keep them near enough so that when I do drift away, I can grab the tether and pull myself back.

We're well on our way to setting a new record for bad metaphors in this thread.

What metaphor? I listen to Rush usually when I'm at the beach or swimming.

For the past 3 months, I didn't listen to a single song of Rush. After analyzing some of their lyrics, I found out that some songs just dissed my Christian faith (Yes, I'm a bit of a Jesus Freak). Because of it, I just dropped Rush altogether. However, I think I'm coming back. I can't help myself, Rush is too good.

A lot has happened within the 3 months I was gone. I started listening to other bands and trying other things to enjoy. Here's a list:

Sting

Fireflight

Building 429

Fall Out Boy

Although these are great artists, especially FOB with their new album, none could compare to Rush.

Many other things has happened when I stopped listening to Rush. Here's another list:

I started to suck at playing bass

I felt unhappy, bored, and angry all the time

I drifted away from my love of music

I feel kinda bad for leaving Rush in the first place, but I'm gotta stop listening to a few albums, or at least a few songs because of the lyrics that got me away from Rush in the first place. All I can say is that I missed Rush and I'm sorry for leaving you. It was a stupid idea.

Anyway, what are y'all thoughts on this? Have you ever left Rush? Why?

I find it interesting that you find fall out boy and gangsta rap appropriate for a Christian but rush is an issue?

• Like 5

For the past 3 months, I didn't listen to a single song of Rush. After analyzing some of their lyrics, I found out that some songs just dissed my Christian faith (Yes, I'm a bit of a Jesus Freak). Because of it, I just dropped Rush altogether. However, I think I'm coming back. I can't help myself, Rush is too good.

A lot has happened within the 3 months I was gone. I started listening to other bands and trying other things to enjoy. Here's a list:

Sting

Fireflight

Building 429

Fall Out Boy

Although these are great artists, especially FOB with their new album, none could compare to Rush.

Many other things has happened when I stopped listening to Rush. Here's another list:

I feel kinda bad for leaving Rush in the first place, but I'm gotta stop listening to a few albums, or at least a few songs because of the lyrics that got me away from Rush in the first place. All I can say is that I missed Rush and I'm sorry for leaving you. It was a stupid idea.

I find it interesting that you find fall out boy and gangsta rap appropriate for a Christian but rush is an issue?

I know, I'm weird like that. But hey, who isn't?

Sadly, I too have drifted away from Rush almost entirely, hence why I'm almost never here anymore. Not because I don't like them anymore, it's just that I've found myself listening to other bands now. I'll still throw on La Villa from time to time though. ;)

Sting

Fireflight

Building 429

Fall Out Boy

I know, I'm weird like that. But hey, who isn't?

I am or so I am told from time to time :codger:
  • Like 1

I drifted for a long while from 1999 to 2007. I didn't exactly stop listening as much as I just stopped considering myself a fan. In that period I found that my motivation to get things done was plummeting because I just didn't have the proper soundtrack. The soundtrack I was listening to instead was self-pitying hipster stuff that wasn't doing my emotional health any favors. :( Edited by ThatLightInYourEyes
  • Like 1

I prefer Peart when he's being metaphorical and allegorical. The moment he started writing in the first person is when things started going downhill. If I was him I would tell Lee to either sing the lyrics as presented or write his own f***ing lyrics...
  • Like 2

I go through phases where I don't listen to them for weeks, sometimes months, but I've never completely drifted away.

There's just so many other incredible artists & bands that I try to familiarize myself with that Rush will take a back seat for a while, not for any particular reasons though.

Actually last night I was listening to bits & pieces from various albums & I feel like I'm going to begin another phase real soon.

I prefer Peart when he's being metaphorical and allegorical. The moment he started writing in the first person is when things started going downhill. If I was him I would tell Lee to either sing the lyrics as presented or write his own f***ing lyrics...

I often wish I could be a fly on the wall when Geddy argues with Neil about the really bad lyrics that he refuses to sing. :rfl:

Man, Armor & Sword on the list? Say what you will about S&A, but that's a remarkable song. You're missing out.

I'm a Christian and I don't care what Neil thinks. They're his views and I applaud him for utilizing his talents to express them.

As for devotion to Rush, I drift. I have an exorbitant amount of different musical tastes and explore them endlessly, but Rush is always in the mix, even if it isn't as pronounced as others in a different place or time.

• Like 1

Neil's beliefs (or lack thereof) have absolutely zero bearing on my life whatsoever.

He's an entertainer who makes me smile. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

He's not my mentor nor my spirit guide.. .he's just a drummer and lyricist.. and a damn good one at that!

If there is a song that I don't like the message I just tone that message out and enjoy the rest of the song.

I don't see the point in depriving myself of joy because of what somebody else might think or say.

I don't see the point in depriving myself of joy because of what somebody else might think or say.

You must not be a regular subscriber to Rolling Stone.

Good for you, I say.

• Like 1

If you don't mind me asking, what are the songs and or albums in question?

I would completely get rid of Snakes & Arrows, but some songs are way too good to get rid of like Far Cry and Bravest Face. I know it's the band's opinions, but I don't feel really comfertable listening to lyrics that go against what I believe. I would be contradicting myself, kinda. I just won't listen to songs like:

Tom Saywer

Roll The Bones

Sweet Miracle

The Stars Looked Down

Armor and Sword

The Way the Wind Blows

Faithless

Malignant Narcissism

BU2B

Much of these songs I haven't really cared to listen to in the first place, and there are many more songs that are much better than these. But I'm happy to be listening to Rush once again. My life really is much better with them.

You lost me at Fall Out Boy

Fall Out Boy is awesome. WTF are you talking about?

>Won't listen to Tom Sawyer

>Won't listen to Sweet Miracle

>Won't listen to MalNar

Tom sawyer isn't even religiously themed, is it? And the mention of "walking with angels" in Sweet miracle is enough to turn you off listening to it? WOW how can a reasonable person claim these three songs bash religi--

Oh wait you like Fallout Boy, my mistake you must be 13.

Your opinion has been:

[ ] Acknowledged

[X] Discarded

EDIT: Hahaha I was only joking and it turns out you're actually 16. My sides. I don't think Rush is the problem here, buddy.

Anyway, go get high, have sex and deny Christ.

Edited by Czarcasm
  • Like 2

Malignant Narcissism? Really?

Watch the music video. There's a reason they called the song that.

There's literally nothing in the song to make you question your beliefs. You watched the video, sooooo...?

Ugh all I think off when I hear Geddy slap this freless bass is ATHEISM! This song is ruined for me forever!

All I'm seeing here is that you don't like a song because it inadvertently makes you question your faith. As I said earlier, maybe you should be examining yourself instead of Rush if AN INSTRUMENTAL can shake your spirituality to the core like this.

Hey, Czarcasm, that is not what I thought and or said. I don't want to listen to Tom Sawyer and Sweet Miracle because of ALL of their lyrics, which I deeply tried to interpret and analyze. And sorry if I didn't fully understood MalNar. I didn't know that the music video was made by a fan and not by the music business and Rush themselves. I'm insulted by their lyrics because I don't like it when they say that "Christians have no tolerance of other religions", like they did in Armor and Sword, which is definitely not the case for me. I never left Rush because of the fact they are Atheist, I left them because they had lyrics that I felt insult me and my Christian faith.

And so what if I like other bands like FOB. I also listen to a lot of rap, but I still enjoy the classics.

And Geddy's baselines is what originally inspired me to start playing bass. How in the world could I hate them?

• Like 1

Hey, Czarcasm, that is not what I thought and or said. I don't want to listen to Tom Sawyer and Sweet Miracle because of ALL of their lyrics, which I deeply tried to interpret and analyze. And sorry if I didn't fully understood MalNar. I didn't know that the music video was made by a fan and not by the music business and Rush themselves. I'm insulted by their lyrics because I don't like it when they say that "Christians have no tolerance of other religions", like they did in Armor and Sword, which is definitely not the case for me. I never left Rush because of the fact they are Atheist, I left them because they had lyrics that I felt insult me and my Christian faith.

And so what if I like other bands like FOB. I also listen to a lot of rap, but I still enjoy the classics.

And Geddy's baselines is what originally inspired me to start playing bass. How in the world could I hate them?

All very good points, man. I never listen to Snakes and Arrows so I was unaware of the Armor and Sword line. Sorry for being a jerk earlier, I'm having a stressful time in my work week right now. Glad to hear you play the bass and that you love Rush! The world always needs more Rush fans. :LOL:

I'm one of those weird Christians. You know the kind. I wake up and I see God's miracle unfolding before my eyes almost everyday. Yes, there are those days when I don't see it because I'm stuck in a skin suit like the rest of you and it weighs me down at times, but for the most part I firmly believe that every particle in the Universe is at God's command. Rush is part of that plan and my don't they know how to make a pleasant noise. I don't think I have gone more than a week without hearing them since 1979.

Time is time, as Jon Anderson said so you probably shouldn't waste too much time worrying over what Neil's opinions are.

Now that bog of his... Dammit I'm gonna smack him over some of that stuff...

:coy:

• Like 4

I can't imagine not listening to a band that I love because I don't agree with their political or religious views. The lyrics can change how much I like a song, but generally it won't be the result of the views expressed, but how the views are expressed that changes my opinion of a song.

All very good points, man. I never listen to Snakes and Arrows so I was unaware of the Armor and Sword line. Sorry for being a jerk earlier, I'm having a stressful time in my work week right now. Glad to hear you play the bass and that you love Rush! The world always needs more Rush fans. :LOL:

That's not the message of armor and sword. I don't like that song at all (and I'm not a huge fan of S&A), but I've always taken the meaning to be that some religious people use religion to support and help themselves, and some use it to judge and attack others for not believing. I don't see a specific criticism of a specific religion or belief.

• Like 1