For those who saw CA Tour in person, crowd reaction?

Lieutenant Dan

Well from the two shows I went to (Winnipeg and Red Deer) this is what I recall.

Caravan-Everyone cheered as they came on, not to much to note beyond that.

Clockwork Angels-For the most part it was listening ears, except for during the lyrics "As if to fly" when lots of people raised their arms like the video and lyrics suggest.

The Anarchist-Fair amount of cheering approval when Geddy Announced it

Carnies-Big Cheer...for the fireworks

The Wrecker-like the Anarchist, but quieter

Headlong Flight-Crowd sounds decently loud. Big cheer for the drum solo

Halo Effect-Quiet-ish

Wish Them Well (Winnipeg only)-Quite a bit of head bobbing, clapping during the disco part.

Seven Cities of Gold(Red Deer only)-Mostly quiet, noise escaladed a bit for Geddy's bass line the second time around

The Garden-Lighters in the air (and some cell phones), some woo's when Alex hit the keys. Very polite applause at the end. In Winnipeg the applause only escaladed as they entered into Dreamline.

Thats about 100% on the money where I saw them. But you can hear a really big difference once they started TSOR and the Encore!

:codger:

It was a tale of two cities for me. The crowd was fantastic at the show I went to in Seattle with the crowd loving every song and being very into it. Salt Lake City was a different story as there was a lot of sitting down for the CA material and people just didn't seem into it at all. But then Salt Lake City crowds are generally poor for any event, I have observed over the years (with the exceptions of course of the nice people I met at the SLC meetup ). Perhaps not coincidentally, the above exactly describes my experience of seeing Dead Can Dance in Seattle and Salt Lake City.
  • Like 1

I saw them in Toronto in 2012, on the Sunday night show if I remember correctly, and I think in Toronto fans are usually pretty excited to see them. I really enjoyed the show (I'd read setlists and made sure I was fresh with the material), but the friends I went with admitted they wished they played more older songs. But they're definitely casual fans and I'm... not. Definitely not "casual." :)

I really love the Clockwork Angel Tour BluRay/CDs. Everytime I listen to it I am so glad I got to see the show in person. When I first heard about the strings I was worried - usually to me a band playing with strings means it has packed it in and was just trying to re-release their hits in as many formats as possible. But Rush with strings was amazing! And live even moreso. I was so impressed with the strings, they raised their game live just like the guys. Compare the studio of "Carnies" to the live version, and the string section is SMOKING. I am so glad to live in an era of good live documents of shows for every tour, because I think I'll be listening to it for quite a long time.

Anyway, I guess my point is a) I didn't notice other folks reaction to the show when I was there, and b) I love CA so much I don't care. :)

And I contrast that with the Time Machine album, which if I do listen to it I usually skip over the Moving Pictures stuff. I didn't see it live, but I think that was a tour you'd wished you'd seen in person, while CA is one you're glad there's a live album for.

I was at the Dallas show (the one they used for the DVD!) and I sat with my friends during the first half, then at intermission, went up to the Club Level where another friend had tickets, and sat with him during the CA stuff. It seemed most people didn't know most of the CA stuff and were just waiting for T.S. or SoR, 2112, YYZ, etc... I was the only one it seemed singing along with Halo Effect or Carnies :)

In AC, I specifically remember when they got to Limelight, the place erupted. Before that, Subdivisions warranted a big welcome,Big Money & Force Ten only got big reactions after the solos, and when they started Grand Designs, I had this guy a row behind me go "What the hell is this song?" But anyway, Territories was well recieved after Geddy's heavy bass part at the end. The Analog Kid was a part of the show where alot of people were raving and roaring(or perhaps drooling) over the solo and beginning of the song. Bravado came over ok, and Far Cry had a pretty big reaction, probably since they have played it so many times over the past couple of tours, people are starting to get used to it.

During the CA Set, Caravan only had people erupting when they first came on and after Alex's Solo, CA had crowd interaction, like many other places, during "as if to fly," but was otherwise politely recieved. The Anarchist is where things started to take off and everyone was really getting into the set. Same with Carnies, but this time it ended with a bang. The Wreckers came around, and some people were becoming restless and making beer runs. When Headlong Flight came around, that got one of the biggest reactions of the night, it was crazy! Halo Effect/Alex's Solo lost some people again, but then SCoG gained everyone back! The Garden yieled a great reaction. Manhattan Project got polite applause but many people didn't recognize the song. Actually, after the show I met up with one of my teachers who had been at the show, and, she is more of a casual friend, she thought that song was Prime Mover. At least its the right decade. Anyway, The Percussor and Red Sector A were well recieved, and then YYZ - 2112 the whole place was jumping! It was a great show overall!

I was in Buffalo where they first dragged out Limelight in the tour. The crowd was really into it throughout but they really erupted during Limelight. From where I was sitting they seemed to be really into it throughout the show, especially during the CA stuff.

In Vancouver the audience around me seemed a bit more tame, and the CA stuff wasn't received as well as in Buffalo, though they did really enjoy Headlong Flight. When Geddy yelled "Live it all agaaaaaaain", everyone was really cheering. The audience was funnier too. Guys dressed as the Moving Pictures guys, people holding big Canadian Flags with the Starman in the center. I got really dehydrated so I don't remember the second set as well. During some songs (The Pass), I noticed lots of people leaving for the bathroom. In Buffalo I didn't see that.

For me like some others have previously mentioned, I wasn't paying much attention to the crowd around me as I was totally rocking out at my shows. Luckily, I had real close seats for the majority of my 6 CA shows. However, in Milwaukee I did notice that I was in a seemingly "dead" section on the far right side past Geddy about 10 rows back and I did hear someone repeatedly complaining behind me about my fist-pumping and the setlist most of the night. Of course, the new

material was emphasized along the great 80's stuff, but the misinformed fan behind me kept saying, "They're not playing the real old stuff?" Hey genius, look in the mirror, YOU're the old stuff; either rock out or go home!! :codger:

• Like 1

Saw the tour in Hamilton, which was about as close to home as they got on that leg of the tour. I'd have to say the reception to the new material was polite at best and only because that section of the show was packed full of their best visual effects.

It was a tale of two cities for me. The crowd was fantastic at the show I went to in Seattle with the crowd loving every song and being very into it. Salt Lake City was a different story as there was a lot of sitting down for the CA material and people just didn't seem into it at all. But then Salt Lake City crowds are generally poor for any event, I have observed over the years (with the exceptions of course of the nice people I met at the SLC meetup ). Perhaps not coincidentally, the above exactly describes my experience of seeing Dead Can Dance in Seattle and Salt Lake City.

Perhaps they don't drink enough. I know when I see the band at Jones Beach (where no drinking is allowed) the crowds are always tame.

I went to the Newark show, and if say the crowd was pretty enthusiastic. YYZ got the biggest reaction for sure, because I couldn't hear Neil's -.---.----.. chimes!

But actually, Force Ten and Territories got good reactions, and as for the CA stuff, this one fan to my right was the only guy around me that was complaining. (Of course, he was insistent that Linelight would be played at somepoint, which it wasn't, so he had plenty of reason to complain.)

The only song that didn't receive thunderous applause was Grand Designs, and I can't say I'd blame the crowd (not exactly my favorite). Great show, great crowd. Of course, the crowds are always good here in Jersey!

Edited by Disk98

I saw several shows on this tour. It was the first time I was able to get to see five shows of any tour by anybody. Headlong Flight got the biggest crowd reaction by far of any song on this tour. The old favorites like The Spirit Of Radio or Tom Sawyer always get big loud crowd yells, but the Clockwork Angels songs floored the audience at every show and the title track and Headlong Flight got them to their feet and yelling every time. You often expect a long running act to pull out a new song or two, but Rush played most of their latest album and blew the crowd away. You could feel it coming off the bodies all over the place: Holy Cow, new music and it's this good? Yes it is, I thought each time I saw them go crazy for the new songs.

damn, I wish the people around me had reacted like that to the new tunes.

I have a feeling that different people just perceive/describe similar crowd reactions in different ways. What one guy speaks of as "on their feet and yelling" would likely be called "polite applause" by another. While I'm sure there were exceptions, videos and most testimonials seem to indicate that reactions weren't a heck of a lot different from one arena to another.

I attend a church each week that caters to a core group of attendees and a bunch of tourists (radio broadcasts all over the world bring them in). I have enough experience to judge a crowd and yeah one man's "polite clapping" is another's "on their feet", but the new songs on this tour got the crowd more excited than any band that has lasted this long that I have ever seen. The last time I saw Yes the crowd hit the beer and toilet line as soon as "Fly From Here" started. Rush kept their feet nailed to the floor with the Clockwork Angels songs. I'm sure the strings played a part in that. it was an exciting new element. Looking back at it now I feel the same. The new songs, especially Headlong Flight got a lot of folks happier than the 80s songs.

I saw them in St. Louis and Headlong Flight was about halfway through the CA setlist. By the time that song started the crowd had become pretty quiet but definitely got recharged by the end of that song. It is an awesome song for a live crowd. As long as Rush has been around, their old stuff will always get the upper hand from the crowd IMO.

I am referring specifically to how did the audience(s) that you saw the show(s) with react, in general, to the Clockwork Angels material? Did they receive it like they were waiting for more old songs, or did they embrace it with excitement, or kind of in-between? We all know how crowds usually react when Tom Sawyer or TSOR fire up and close....how was the CA material received vs the 'hits' in your opinion?

I did see them live for the Time Machine Tour, but missed the CA shows :( I have watched the CA concert on bluray three times already and just adore it. It's downright magical. But I wanted a larger sample size of crowd reaction for CA than a show that was being taped, you know?

For myself, I liked CA before I saw the concert bluray, but the songs just blew up for me after watching that performance. I would have cheered my ass off for every single song had I been there.

The song "Clockwork Angels" itself was one of the most perfect live music moments I've seen on the video.

Thanks, curious minds want to know ;)

-Dan

When the strings came in on Caravan, the crowd went nuts.

The crowd raised their hands to the sky during Clockwork Angels.

The crowd got into the Anarchist.

The crowd went wild for Headlong Flight -- old school banging their heads wild.

I saw both Chicago shows.

Nothing compared to the moment the Stanley Cup came on stage before yyz at the summer show -- that was nuts.

• Like 1

I am referring specifically to how did the audience(s) that you saw the show(s) with react, in general, to the Clockwork Angels material? Did they receive it like they were waiting for more old songs, or did they embrace it with excitement, or kind of in-between? We all know how crowds usually react when Tom Sawyer or TSOR fire up and close....how was the CA material received vs the 'hits' in your opinion?

I did see them live for the Time Machine Tour, but missed the CA shows :( I have watched the CA concert on bluray three times already and just adore it. It's downright magical. But I wanted a larger sample size of crowd reaction for CA than a show that was being taped, you know?

For myself, I liked CA before I saw the concert bluray, but the songs just blew up for me after watching that performance. I would have cheered my ass off for every single song had I been there.

The song "Clockwork Angels" itself was one of the most perfect live music moments I've seen on the video.

Thanks, curious minds want to know ;)

-Dan

When the strings came in on Caravan, the crowd went nuts.

The crowd raised their hands to the sky during Clockwork Angels.

The crowd got into the Anarchist.

The crowd went wild for Headlong Flight -- old school banging their heads wild.

I saw both Chicago shows.

Nothing compared to the moment the Stanley Cup came on stage before yyz at the summer show -- that was nuts.

I was there for that. It was amazing.

• Like 1

Perhaps they don't drink enough. I know when I see the band at Jones Beach (where no drinking is allowed) the crowds are always tame.

The SLC show was good for me but I think it was so hot at starting time that dampened some of the crowd. As far as the drinking goes, don't think that's an issue, we have lots of rowdies. I just don't get why people are so dense, they name the tours for a reason! I was listening to CA from the time it came out so I had the songs memorized..Carnies was fantastic with the fireworks but the crowd didn't get as excited as my sister and I were. :dweez: :haz: :rush:

All I will say, is this: I have seen Rush 27 times now, since 1976, in Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Minneapolis and Winnipeg.

And, until you see a Toronto show, "you ain't seen shit!"

I went to the Newark show, and if say the crowd was pretty enthusiastic. YYZ got the biggest reaction for sure, because I couldn't hear Neil's -.---.----.. chimes!

But actually, Force Ten and Territories got good reactions, and as for the CA stuff, this one fan to my right was the only guy around me that was complaining. (Of course, he was insistent that Linelight would be played at somepoint, which it wasn't, so he had plenty of reason to complain.)

The only song that didn't receive thunderous applause was Grand Designs, and I can't say I'd blame the crowd (not exactly my favorite). Great show, great crowd. Of course, the crowds are always good here in Jersey!

That WAS a great crowd in Newark, wasn't it! A really exciting rock'n'roll atmosphere at that show. There were people near my section who were dressed as characters from the story. My fondest memory of that show was Geddy's manic smile all throughout the second set.

All I will say, is this: I have seen Rush 27 times now, since 1976, in Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Minneapolis and Winnipeg.

I disagree. I've seen Rush in Toronto, and I didn't notice that it was spectacularly better, more exciting or more well-received than various shows that I've seen in other cities.

I think the most out-of-their-minds crowd I've ever seen at a Rush show was in Detroit in 2011.

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 1

I've been to many Toronto shows and couldn't disagree more. It may be a Canadian thing, but the crowds are always more reserved and polite.

I couldn't tell if people liked the songs or not at the shows I went to. everybody was polite and most people sat attentively, but in my sections at both shows the only people visibly rocking out to the CA tunes were me and my friend.

This. My experience at Rush shows is that you have quite a bit of hardcore fans like us but we are dwarfed by the casual fans. Pretty much all of the recent tours have been a similar response by most of the crowd. Polite cheers after the new stuff. Most there clearly don't know the new stuff. An exception at my show for CA was that the casuals did give a pretty rousings cheers for Headlong Flight. For the solo sections and at the end.

• Like 1

I've been to many Toronto shows and couldn't disagree more. It may be a Canadian thing, but the crowds are always more reserved and polite.

Agreed. Toronto crowds are usually pretty lame. Montreal crowds, on the other hand, are far more enthusiastic. And I'm from Toronto.

Hmmmm.... I seem to be getting my ass kicked, and possibly for good reason. All of the Toronto shows I saw (accept for Time Machine (July, 2010 and that crowd was loud) were from '78 - '87 and believe me, those shows were nuts! I was there when they taped the grace Under pressure show for DVD... wild crowd.

The wildest crowd I saw in TO were the Moving Pictures shows in '81. Was there the first two nights (of the three) and OMFG!

I saw them in Brooklyn and I thought the crowed was decent. Big cheers for Analog Kid, HF, 2112 (even with Alex having to switch guitars in the middle of the song - and having to wait and wait and wait for the crew to get him the guitar) and frankly a lot of other songs. Overall the crowd was good.

Also saw them at SPAC and I thought the crowed was lame. Mind you. the SPAC show was on the 2nd leg of the tour and I had picked up inside seats (usually I get lawn tickets). Big reaction for the big songs, Analog Kid and a very bog reaction for HF. Other than that - lame. One guy near me was saying "I don't recognize this stuff but it sounds ok, maybe I will pick up the new album" He was referring to the new material. Mind you this is on the 2'nd lg of the tour and the guy paid for indoor tickets.

Another guy near me was thrilled by the 1'st set (the last time he had seen Rush was in the 80's - either the Power Windows Tour or HYF - I forget which) but you could tell he was not into the 2'nd set. To make matters worse (sigh - we have heard this before but here it comes) he had brought his girlfriend with him and she was a country music fan who did not like Rush. She just tested the entire time and as the second set went on was obviously saying to him "I am bored - lets leave" He finally did. Poor guy.

Even beyond those folks (why go? why get inside tickets? give them to the real Rush fans) I thought the crowd was just lame.

Pity because SPAC crowds have been good in the past.

• Like 1

Another guy near me was thrilled by the 1'st set (the last time he had seen Rush was in the 80's - either the Power Windows Tour or HYF - I forget which) but you could tell he was not into the 2'nd set. To make matters worse (sigh - we have heard this before but here it comes) he had brought his girlfriend with him and she was a country music fan who did not like Rush. She just tested the entire time and as the second set went on was obviously saying to him "I am bored - lets leave" He finally did. Poor guy.

That dude needs a new girlfriend and – a set of balls.

• Like 2