For those who saw CA Tour in person, crowd reaction?

Lieutenant Dan

Crowds are more into it the closer to the stage they are. The casual fans further away are more disengaged from the show when they don't hear the "Hits". I thought the Phoenix crowd was quieter than the San Jose California show. I was just a little surprised since the recording of it had been announced.

I missed the Time Machine tour which I kick myself for but the CA tour is my favorite so far BECAUSE of the second half.

Edited by calirush

I saw several shows on this tour. It was the first time I was able to get to see five shows of any tour by anybody. Headlong Flight got the biggest crowd reaction by far of any song on this tour. The old favorites like The Spirit Of Radio or Tom Sawyer always get big loud crowd yells, but the Clockwork Angels songs floored the audience at every show and the title track and Headlong Flight got them to their feet and yelling every time. You often expect a long running act to pull out a new song or two, but Rush played most of their latest album and blew the crowd away. You could feel it coming off the bodies all over the place: Holy Cow, new music and it's this good? Yes it is, I thought each time I saw them go crazy for the new songs.
  • Like 1

At the Charlotte show in 2012 the crowd seem pretty enthused overall, though they did seem to check out after Force Ten. Alex's solo in Analog Kid and the CA songs in general got them hyped up again though, and Headlong Flight got a huge reaction.

Of course, YYZ/TS/TSoR/2112 got the biggest reactions.

Edited by Alchemical

I was at a few shows. Anaheim was mixed, Los Angeles was on it's feet the whole time. San Diego was mixed as well. I also caught Salt Lake, Denver,and Kansas City and noticed there were more people on their feet for both sets. I think by the time the second leg of the tour came around people were more familiar with the newer material.

Crowds are more into it the closer to the stage they are. The casual fans further away are more disengaged from the show when they don't hear the "Hits". I thought the Phoenix crowd was quieter than the San Jose California show. I was just a little surprised since the recording of it had been announced.

I missed the Time Machine tour which I kick myself for but the CA tour is my favorite so far BECAUSE of the second half.

What has been frustrating for me with last two times I seen them (TM & CWA) tours due to financial considerations and the luck of the draw had to sit farther away among the casual fans which really dampens your enthusiasm energy level.. When everyone around you act like there attending a classical music performance by the Cleveland Orchestra at Severance Hall.. sssh QUIET!!! :tsk: :eyeroll:
  • Like 3

I feel like a lot of people appreciated the material and thought after they heard it that it was damn good. While the songs were actually going on though, most of the crowd was pretty unfamiliar, and couldn't really get into it much.

Las Vegas... 23-11-12... rocking, standing, floor section, middle just in front of the sound guys, very good reaction to the Clockwork Angels material around where I was, especially Caravan, Clockwork angels, Anarchist, Carnies, Headlong Flight and 7 cities.

nashville 2013 had one of the lamest crowds ever but it was a great show and I had a great time. the crowd was pretty dead (but polite at least) from big money to YYZ

I was at that show. From where I was in the fifth row people were pretty enthusiastic. Not really sure what was going on behind me.

yeah I meant the folks in my section. closer to the stage people looked like they were having fun.

I saw several shows on this tour. It was the first time I was able to get to see five shows of any tour by anybody. Headlong Flight got the biggest crowd reaction by far of any song on this tour. The old favorites like The Spirit Of Radio or Tom Sawyer always get big loud crowd yells, but the Clockwork Angels songs floored the audience at every show and the title track and Headlong Flight got them to their feet and yelling every time. You often expect a long running act to pull out a new song or two, but Rush played most of their latest album and blew the crowd away. You could feel it coming off the bodies all over the place: Holy Cow, new music and it's this good? Yes it is, I thought each time I saw them go crazy for the new songs.

damn, I wish the people around me had reacted like that to the new tunes.

One thing I did notice was that on the second leg of the tour people were much more familiar with the CA songs and sang along a lot more than before.

I quizzed people at all 3 shows I went to and none of them has listened to the new album. People just wanted to see the old stuff. Whatever. I wasn't at the show for them, I was there for me. I don't worry about other people. Most people pay shit tons of $ to see football games and don't bother to learn the roster of their favorite team, either. Again, whatever. It's a free market.
  • Like 2

I have a feeling that different people just perceive/describe similar crowd reactions in different ways. What one guy speaks of as "on their feet and yelling" would likely be called "polite applause" by another. While I'm sure there were exceptions, videos and most testimonials seem to indicate that reactions weren't a heck of a lot different from one arena to another.

yeah, at least the people in my section were rocking out to the CA material. Many tears were shed during certain songs by a lot of people around me, too, so....lol

It was well-received!

• Like 2

yeah, at least the people in my section were rocking out to the CA material. Many tears were shed during certain songs by a lot of people around me, too, so....lol

It was well-received!

I wanted to frickin' cry during Headlong Flight.

That is a quintessential Rush song, to me.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that different people just perceive/describe similar crowd reactions in different ways. What one guy speaks of as "on their feet and yelling" would likely be called "polite applause" by another. While I'm sure there were exceptions, videos and most testimonials seem to indicate that reactions weren't a heck of a lot different from one arena to another.

true, and it depends what section you were in too

One thing I did notice was that on the second leg of the tour people were much more familiar with the CA songs and sang along a lot more than before.

no one sang in my section but I could see people singing closer to the stage

• Like 1

I found that the old songs like TSoR and TS and Limelight got big cheers before and after, while a lot of the CA stuff got big cheers after they were played. That meant to me that people didn't really know the songs coming in, but loved what they heard.

Contrast that with Middletown Dreams, TBE, Territories, Big Money and the like, which received polite applause before and after.

• Like 2

I found that the old songs like TSoR and TS and Limelight got big cheers before and after, while a lot of the CA stuff got big cheers after they were played. That meant to me that people didn't really know the songs coming in, but loved what they heard.

Contrast that with Middletown Dreams, TBE, Territories, Big Money and the like, which received polite applause before and after.

This is a good point. There were some CA songs that received TBE-like polite applause at the show I attended, but Headlong Flight, Carnies, and The Garden were among the ones that engaged the crowd and garnered very positive reactions.

I saw three shows on the CA tour, and then saw the film in our local theater. Here's my perception from where I was at each venue:

1. 10/10/12 - Bridgeport, CT (forgot the name of the arena)

I'd gone to CT to visit a friend I used to work with here in Syracuse (she knew nothing about Rush except Tom Sawyer). She and I were in row 17 on the floor, dead-center. I'd managed to avoid the setlist for the first month, so everything was a surprise to me (other than I knew they'd be playing a lot of CA). Most of the songs were generally well-received, especially within the 15 rows ahead of us. Didn't look behind us at all, so I'm guessing it was quieter and "polite applause" on the sides and way back. There was a guy and his teenage son just to my right, both with the Rush baseball jersey, and were practically comatose until the last few songs. The kid was bored and texting most of the time.

2. 10/26/12 - First Niagara Ctr, Buffalo, NY

I dragged my girlfriend to this one, and we were Row 5 on Alex's side (but only paid the MusicToday pre-sale prices...woo!). The crowd was very loud...it seemed deafening after most of the songs, and it was probably the loudest and highest-attended Rush concert out of the 8 I've been to since 2007.

3. 6/25/13 - SPAC, Saratoga Spgs, NY

This was the warmest, most humid, and overall physically uncomfortable show I've been to (humid + asthma = not fun!). My buddy and I were up in the balcony because he had to be able to sit. The actual seating was mostly full (couldn't see the lawn from where we were though), but most of the people around us were quiet and didn't seem to know most of the songs after Big Money, until YYZ. Seemed like the first 10 rows downstairs were loud, though. Didn't see too many bored people texting, so at least the quiet ones were at least willing to learn.

4. The film - 11/18/13 - Regal Cinemas, Destiny USA (the former Carousel Mall), Syracuse, NY

The movie was only being shown at one time (7:00), in one of the 19 theaters, so it ended up being about 75% full. Most of the theater was loud, as people were actually cheering and clapping. I sat there thinking "you know, the band can't hear you!", but it was cool. There were 3 guys in the row behind me, talking the whole time. One guy claimed to be into CA (after the start of most songs, he'd say "oh, I like this song"), but apparently he hadn't been to any live shows, because the most common thing he said throughout the night was "Wow, what a strange setlist."

• Like 2

This is a good point. There were some CA songs that received TBE-like polite applause at the show I attended, but Headlong Flight, Carnies, and The Garden were among the ones that engaged the crowd and garnered very positive reactions.

headlong and carnies for sure.

headlong and carnies for sure.

I thought this was true of CA as well. It didn't get thunderous applause, but it got more than any non-hit in the opening set got.

That's interesting, in Winnipeg, The Big Money got a huge applause, much greater than when they first came out with subdivisions. With Subdivisions it was a loud approving cheer that slowley died and came back near the end. But with the opening B chord of The Big Money it was an eruption of sound for the intro, and another three at the guitar solo, proper end, and jam end.

At the Charlotte show in 2012 the crowd seem pretty enthused overall, though they did seem to check out after Force Ten. Alex's solo in Analog Kid and the CA songs in general got them hyped up again though, and Headlong Flight got a huge reaction.

Of course, YYZ/TS/TSoR/2112 got the biggest reactions.

Check out after 'Force Ten??' Schmucks...I dig that tune! :)

Great responses so far, guys!