For those who saw CA Tour in person, crowd reaction?

Lieutenant Dan

I am referring specifically to how did the audience(s) that you saw the show(s) with react, in general, to the Clockwork Angels material? Did they receive it like they were waiting for more old songs, or did they embrace it with excitement, or kind of in-between? We all know how crowds usually react when Tom Sawyer or TSOR fire up and close....how was the CA material received vs the 'hits' in your opinion?

I did see them live for the Time Machine Tour, but missed the CA shows :( I have watched the CA concert on bluray three times already and just adore it. It's downright magical. But I wanted a larger sample size of crowd reaction for CA than a show that was being taped, you know?

For myself, I liked CA before I saw the concert bluray, but the songs just blew up for me after watching that performance. I would have cheered my ass off for every single song had I been there.

The song "Clockwork Angels" itself was one of the most perfect live music moments I've seen on the video.

Thanks, curious minds want to know ;)

-Dan

The shows I went to the crowd enjoyed the CA stuff, maybe not screaming crazy like for SoR or Tom Sawyer, but good. In the second leg show the CA stuff was when people really started crowding down front

We loved the CA stuff so much that we ended up at 3 shows which was a stretch financially and timewise but I would do it all again in a heart beat and even add in a couple more. LOVED LOVED the CA stuff live.

• Like 1

I didn't see the Clockwork Angels tour because I am to poor and not hardcore enough........ :outtahere:

Good post and I enjoy your opinions Dan... :)

Edited by Narpet
  • Like 2

I didn't see the Clockwork Angels tour because I am to poor and not hardcore enough........ :outtahere:

Good post and I enjoy your opinions Dan... :)

Thank you...and I am SO with you on the 'poor' part, which is why I couldn't go to the CA show on this tour in Nashville.

• Like 1

I couldn't tell if people liked the songs or not at the shows I went to. everybody was polite and most people sat attentively, but in my sections at both shows the only people visibly rocking out to the CA tunes were me and my friend.

I'm afraid I'm never in much of a position to judge the crowd reaction, as I am always too busy going crazy myself! :LOL:

LOL, good answer! That's me as well, upon further thought.

I didn't think that anyone DISLIKED that portion of the show...I guess it's tough to really gauge that since they played ALL of that stuff at the same time, and it wasn't like other tours where a band sticks new material here and there, and you can see people sliding out to get a drink, use the rest room, etc.... It looked well received both times I saw them over the CA tours!

It probably would depend on where you were. It seems like a lot of people were just standing and listening during the CA material, but there were definitely people who were rocking out to it.
  • Like 1

As much as we may like the CA material, it's safe to say that a lot of casual fans are just there waiting to hear TS and TSOR, and I'm okay with that. Hopefully they walk away wanting to hear more of the CA material and go buy it.

Speaking of casual fans. Once I was at an Aerosmith show with a friend. Not my favorite band, but still a great rock band to see live. My friend says to me towards the end of the show "Do you think they'll play I was made for loving you baby?". I tell him I don't think they will play that one, because that song is by Kiss lol. He was actually disappointed.

Well from the two shows I went to (Winnipeg and Red Deer) this is what I recall.

Caravan-Everyone cheered as they came on, not to much to note beyond that.

Clockwork Angels-For the most part it was listening ears, except for during the lyrics "As if to fly" when lots of people raised their arms like the video and lyrics suggest.

The Anarchist-Fair amount of cheering approval when Geddy Announced it

Carnies-Big Cheer...for the fireworks

The Wrecker-like the Anarchist, but quieter

Headlong Flight-Crowd sounds decently loud. Big cheer for the drum solo

Halo Effect-Quiet-ish

Wish Them Well (Winnipeg only)-Quite a bit of head bobbing, clapping during the disco part.

Seven Cities of Gold(Red Deer only)-Mostly quiet, noise escaladed a bit for Geddy's bass line the second time around

The Garden-Lighters in the air (and some cell phones), some woo's when Alex hit the keys. Very polite applause at the end. In Winnipeg the applause only escaladed as they entered into Dreamline.

• Like 2

I would say mostly bored with polite applause .. Embarrassing since Time Machine concert at the "Q" in Cleveland was such a huge success what a difference a year made... :facepalm:

Pretty light. The general public was not into it. Even the more "hardcore" looking fans were kinda drifting in and out. Pretty much the whole show was like that both times. After Force Ten and until YYZ the reaction was pretty mild.

Damn Casuals...

As far as I can remember from the Amsterdam show people received the CA material well, but of course the biggest reactions came with the 'old hits'. But some people may have been somewhat mellow, being the show was held in Amsterdam :smoke:

I think this is receiving some of the new material pretty well:

http://youtu.be/7XmzHyagTqU

• Like 1

I didn't really pay attention during the 2013 shows, but at the 2012 show in Newark, I was impressed at the crowd reaction—it was literally roaring after some of the CA songs. Probably the most enthused crowd I was part of out of 4 shows I attended.
  • Like 2

I didn't really pay attention during the 2013 shows, but at the 2012 show in Newark, I was impressed at the crowd reaction—it was literally roaring after some of the CA songs. Probably the most enthused crowd I was part of out of 4 shows I attended.

That was a smokin' hot show! The thing I remember vividly about that show was Geddy smiling like Alex for most of the second set.

Crowds are getting older, quiter and well.....anyway.

Tampa show crowd was insane and wild.

Sunrise show may very well be the worst crowd I have ever seen at a Rush concert. dead on arrival and embarrising.

Orlando......rocking out big time. Amazing show. Loud crowd.

Reactions to the CA stuff was solid in both the tampa and Orlando show. The Sunrise show the entire night was like a library. It was bizzare how dead most were.

• Like 1

Crowds are getting older, quiter and well.....anyway.

Tampa show crowd was insane and wild.

Sunrise show may very well be the worst crowd I have ever seen at a Rush concert. dead on arrival and embarrising.

Orlando......rocking out big time. Amazing show. Loud crowd.

Reactions to the CA stuff was solid in both the tampa and Orlando show. The Sunrise show the entire night was like a library. It was bizzare how dead most were.

Eesssh, that Sunrise show sounds like it would have been downright uncomfortable to attend! Rush are PROS, but I bet that had an effect on their own energy.

Along the lines of what Eagle Moon mentioned, about 5 rows in front of me, people were standing and rockin' out to the CA stuff. But the group next to me seemed to use that setlist as the time for their beer runs. Afterwards, I got the feeling the crowd wasn't crazy over the setlist but, then again, they were saying it was another terrific show. Overall, I just think Rush fans acted the same as when Paul McCartney announced a song from 2009 by saying "Here's a song that was nominated for a golden globe this year!!" Everyone was polite but all they were thinking was "geez, wouldn't Helter Skelter be a better choice, you idiot??!!.

The Sunrise show the entire night was like a library. It was bizzare how dead most were.

This was Cleveland...

nashville 2013 had one of the lamest crowds ever but it was a great show and I had a great time. the crowd was pretty dead (but polite at least) from big money to YYZ

I was at that show. From where I was in the fifth row people were pretty enthusiastic. Not really sure what was going on behind me.