What Is A "Hardcore Fan" Anyway?

GeddysMullet

Looks like I have some catching up to do. Anyone know how to build a shrine? I'll need some wood, paint, a glue gun, some band member action figures, candle holders, and the blood of a virgin fanboy.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a virgin Rush fanboy.

• Like 7

Looks like I have some catching up to do. Anyone know how to build a shrine? I'll need some wood, paint, a glue gun, some band member action figures, candle holders, and the blood of a virgin fanboy.

Stop throwing stones -

The night has a thousand saxophones.

So get out and buy supplies,

And build that shrine.

Get busy!

• Like 2

Thanks! I was waiting for someone else to go there. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks! I was waiting for someone else to go there. ;)

A Rush concert is the only place that males notice I exist. Lots of desperate men in that crowd lol.

I think there is a difference between being a hardcore fan and being a fanboy. Hardcore suggests unfailing loyalty despite any failings whereas being a fanboy suggests you don't even believe there can be failings...

I basically agree. For example, I can enjoy Test For Echo, even though I wouldn't call it a great album.

I think there is a difference between being a hardcore fan and being a fanboy. Hardcore suggests unfailing loyalty despite any failings whereas being a fanboy suggests you don't even believe there can be failings...

I think that's right, though I don't see how you can dislike half of a band's output and still be hardcore.

Like I said... I guess I'm not hardcore......:) BTW.. I didn't get the tat on my arm because of a drunken stupor. They mean something special to me. There's no AC/DC one on the other arm I can assure you :) Edited by Narpet
  • Like 2

Rush is one of those bands where people either love them or hate them. With a fanbase as strong as theirs, there are quite a bit of hardcore fans.

I'm hardcore. Do they fail? Yes. Do they constantly change and explore new sounds and approaches? Yes.

You can't have great success if you're afraid to fail.

Without taking chances and constantly trying to change we would have never been given the gifts of 2112 or Hemispheres.

I don't want to live in a world where there is no Hemispheres. That album completely changed my life... for the better.

If I could get rid of Rush or every other piece of music ever written, so long every other piece of music.

:notworthy:

Edited by KennyLee

Hmmm... I suppose I could be accused of being a "fan boy" because I have paid to fly to see Rush multiple times every tour since my college days - and I would probably do so even if I hadn't heard the new material (which would never happen because I purchase everything they release on the day it comes out.) I like some of their releases more than others - but even the ones that I do not think are "great" are at minimum interesting to me. For example, Presto and Feedback are not my favorites - but I find them interesting to listen to occasionally. I have a tremendous respect for Rush, the way they create music and hone their craft - they inspired my own path in music at a young age. I think it also helps that I can agree with most of Neil's lyrics - I know I wouldn't get into a band that openly preached some dogma that I didn't agree with. I put up with alot of what many (including my wife) call "Cash grab" by the Rush organization.

On the other hand, I have been accused of being a "Rush whiner" because I expressed that I don't like the sound of various albums (i.e. Clockwork Angels Live sound and the disappearing toms, horrid guitar sound on HYF tour), or I was disappointed with lame set-list choices (R30, Time Machine), or that I disagree with Neil that the details of what he plays are important (CA documentary.) So, you can't say that I'm not a discriminating fan!

Am I "hardcore"? Well, I suppose so - I will always be there on release day, I will learn to play the new songs, I will always see the tour, I will but the tourbook and shirt, I will buy the BluRay, etc. I have amassed a huge collection of Rush memorabilia. For me, being 'Hardcore' includes accepting changes in the band's sound, direction, etc. and being able to put things in reasonable perspective. For me, that includes being a discriminating listener. Yes, I will always be interested to hear new Rush -but I will also see it for what it is and recognize it's faults.

A buddy of mine, who doesn't participate in any forums or collect any products but that I travel to see Rush shows with every tour, always says after we meet the true rabid, blind faith followers: "I don't care how many times you've seen Rush, how many CDs, records, or 8 track tapes you have, how many meet and greets, how many patches on your jean jacket, how many times you've had dinner at the Orbit room, how often you talk with Anthem, how many online fan forums you moderate, how you know how Geddy's son got his middle name, how you know how Alex bought his condo in Naples, how you are friends with Neil's brother, how you play in the premier Rush tribute band, how you build replica drum sets, how many live DVD you appear on, how you memorized all the lyrics, etc. you don't appreciate the music any more than I do." Is he hardcore?

I say you can be a hard core fan, even if you dislike a large aspect of that thing you are a fan of. All I ask is that you make that distinction, for example, when letting someone know your fandom, I am a hard core fan of [insert decade or period] Rush.

Hmmm... I suppose I could be accused of being a "fan boy" because I have paid to fly to see Rush multiple times every tour since my college days - and I would probably do so even if I hadn't heard the new material (which would never happen because I purchase everything they release on the day it comes out.) I like some of their releases more than others - but even the ones that I do not think are "great" are at minimum interesting to me. For example, Presto and Feedback are not my favorites - but I find them interesting to listen to occasionally. I have a tremendous respect for Rush, the way they create music and hone their craft - they inspired my own path in music at a young age. I think it also helps that I can agree with most of Neil's lyrics - I know I wouldn't get into a band that openly preached some dogma that I didn't agree with. I put up with alot of what many (including my wife) call "Cash grab" by the Rush organization.

On the other hand, I have been accused of being a "Rush whiner" because I expressed that I don't like the sound of various albums (i.e. Clockwork Angels Live sound and the disappearing toms, horrid guitar sound on HYF tour), or I was disappointed with lame set-list choices (R30, Time Machine), or that I disagree with Neil that the details of what he plays are important (CA documentary.) So, you can't say that I'm not a discriminating fan!

Am I "hardcore"? Well, I suppose so - I will always be there on release day, I will learn to play the new songs, I will always see the tour, I will but the tourbook and shirt, I will buy the BluRay, etc. I have amassed a huge collection of Rush memorabilia. For me, being 'Hardcore' includes accepting changes in the band's sound, direction, etc. and being able to put things in reasonable perspective. For me, that includes being a discriminating listener. Yes, I will always be interested to hear new Rush -but I will also see it for what it is and recognize it's faults.

A buddy of mine, who doesn't participate in any forums or collect any products but that I travel to see Rush shows with every tour, always says after we meet the true rabid, blind faith followers: "I don't care how many times you've seen Rush, how many CDs, records, or 8 track tapes you have, how many meet and greets, how many patches on your jean jacket, how many times you've had dinner at the Orbit room, how often you talk with Anthem, how many online fan forums you moderate, how you know how Geddy's son got his middle name, how you know how Alex bought his condo in Naples, how you are friends with Neil's brother, how you play in the premier Rush tribute band, how you build replica drum sets, how many live DVD you appear on, how you memorized all the lyrics, etc. you don't appreciate the music any more than I do." Is he hardcore?

I'd say... :yes:

• Like 1

Hardcore or not, Rush has the nicest group of fans I have ever encountered in all of my decades of life. If they don't know that, they should know it, because if I was them, it would make me proud to have such fans - hardcore or not.

There is and always has been a voice of reason dancing around in my head. I proclaim Lorraine as my Rush Forum voice of reason..... :blush: And here is your parting gift ...... :rose:
  • Like 4

I say you can be a hard core fan, even if you dislike a large aspect of that thing you are a fan of. All I ask is that you make that distinction, for example, when letting someone know your fandom, I am a hard core fan of [insert decade or period] Rush.

With all due respect, hardcore fans don't qualify fandom by saying, "I'm a hardcore 70's Rush fan." You're either hardcore fan or you're just a fan of one or several of Rush's periods.

"I'm a hardcore Rush fan, but I hate the synth period." This doesn't make sense to me. You're either hardcore or you're just a fan. Just my innocuous take on this.

hardcore fan: "if Neil says it, it must be true".

Then there's the jerky fan, who looks down their nose at the hardcore fan.

Wouldn't that be Neil himself that does that? :D
  • Like 1

I think that's right, though I don't see how you can dislike half of a band's output and still be hardcore.

Like I said... I guess I'm not hardcore...... :) BTW.. I didn't get the tat on my arm because of a drunken stupor. They mean something special to me. There's no AC/DC one on the other arm I can assure you :)

It seems to me that you are a hardcore fan of early Rush.

hardcore fan: "if Neil says it, it must be true".

Then there's the jerky fan, who looks down their nose at the hardcore fan.

Wouldn't that be Neil himself that does that? :D

:no:

If I had the inclination, I could disprove your notion with Neil quotes. You just go on buying the negative Neil stereotype though. I guess it's funner and much easier for folks like yourself to think Neil's an overt jerk to Rush fans.

Weren't you an overt jerk about a year ago when you went on a tear insulting Rush and Rush fans, and went on and on about how tired you are of Rush? Yeah.

• Like 1

Have to agree with Lerxter.

Neil doesn't look down at Rush fans at all. He appreciates them greatly. He is simply uncomfortable being idolized as a God. *guilty*

I don't know why that is so hard for people to understand. He is humble. Isn't that a good thing?

I work with a guy who had the pleasure of meeting him in a bar a long time ago (197?). He had no idea who Neil Peart was until the end of the night. He said Neil was funny, gracious and an absolute pleasure. When treated as an equal he is a great guy apparently.

Edited by KennyLee
  • Like 4

Have to agree with Lerxter.

Neil doesn't look down at Rush fans at all. He appreciates them greatly. He is simply uncomfortable being idolized as a God. *guilty*

I don't know why that is so hard for people to understand. He is humble. Isn't that a good thing?

I work with a guy who had the pleasure of meeting him in a bar a long time ago (197?). He had no idea who Neil Peart was until the end of the night. He said Neil was funny, gracious and an absolute pleasure. When treated as an equal he is a great guy apparently.

If some people accepted this fact they would have something less to bitch about.

• Like 2

I think the fact that there are "posers" out there setting out criteria to be "hard core fans" is hilarious!

I'm a LONG time fan! I was introduced to Rush in 1976 not long after ATWAS came out, and became a fan primarily because I was a drummer, and that was probably the first time I ever really heard a drummer PLAY like that...so of course I wanted to hear more...

I got a little tired of their stuff during the late 80's early 90's I thought Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, and Presto were crap, but I REALLY thought Roll the Bones was the worst until I heard Test For Echo. (ok, maybe not CRAP, but those albums just didn't hit me the way the earlier stuff did from a musical standpoint) I can honestly say, I listen to every Rush album at LEAST twice a year...one time when I get into a "put it in the CD player in the car, starting with Rush, and working my way through to the end" (live albums included) or I just hit "start" on my iPod, and do the same while working out at the gym as long as it takes me to get THROUGH them! (although admittedly, I'm listening to the new live album, and plan to work BACKWARDS through the live albums)

Looking below at my concert list...I DID go to a Power Windows and HyF show, but sort of wandered away for a while (although I did buy each subsequent album the day it was released, and dug into it for the time being) ..I went to a T4E concert because a group of friends decided to go, and had an extra ticket I could buy.... The fact that they did 2112 on that tour was a good thing! It was also around that time that I started collecting bootlegs hard core, and picked up a whole bunch of OLD Rush, and it re-piqued my curiosity about the band (then when Neils tragedies happened, it was a "find everything you can" kind of thing because it's probably not going to happen again, so my bootleg collection grew exponentially starting at that time)

After they got back together, I was a little upset at the sound of Vapor Trails but was itching to see them again, and haven't missed a tour since.... (and am thankful that they came out with S&A and Clockwork Angels since they are MUCH better albums!)

I'm at a point where I can listen to some of the middle years stuff that I didn't really like, and appreciate it live (kind of like this past tour) but my main interests in the band lies in the early years through the Grace Under Pressure, with like for at least a few songs off of the albums I didn't follow as closely... I consider myself a BIG fan, I don't get the need to call myself a hardcore fan, although looking through my CD & CDR collection, most would say I was pretty hard core. My wife would probably say I was hardcore as she walked by my CD collection, looked into my family room bathroom, or on the walls of the family room with either posters or my autographed copy of Hemispheres. (or my t-shirt drawers)

But why do we need labels? I'm a fan

• Like 2

They are talented men who got a lucky break - Donna Halper. There are many other young men just as talented who didn't have a Donna Halper in their life and never made it.

I do not idolize them, but I am in awe of their talent. The fact that I have no musical talent could explain that.

When I listen to a Rush song, I remember that the song I am now listening to and love started out as just a page of lyrics penned by Neil. He gives it to Geddy and Alex. They create music for his lyrics. I think that is pretty phenomenal. And for this reason, I admire them immensely.

• Like 2

Like I said... I guess I'm not hardcore...... :) BTW.. I didn't get the tat on my arm because of a drunken stupor. They mean something special to me. There's no AC/DC one on the other arm I can assure you :)

It seems to me that you are a hardcore fan of early Rush.

Judgement Day is not just a sequel.............. :sigh: