A non-turkey Thanksgiving

Mara

I don't make the orange glop, also known as sweet potato casserole, and it's not allowed in my house. It's basically pureed sweet potatoes with extra sugar (either brown sugar or maple syrup mixed in, dumped in a casserole dish, baked, and topped with marshmallows. People serve it not as dessert, but as a side dish. Gag.

Never have liked sweet potatoes, and I probably still wouldn't like them as part of this amalgam of sugar and marshmallow slime. I think you're right on in banning that particular dish.

I love sweet potatoes but I hate this type of casserole. Candied sweet potatoes/yams are good but I prefer to par-boil the potatoes, then roast them under the broiler in brown sugar and butter until they carmelize. Friends of ours insisted on making Thanksgiving one year and they made that sweet potato mashed up casserole Mara has been describing. They appropriately called it, "The Nast." My stomach still turns thinking about that dish.

I don't make the orange glop, also known as sweet potato casserole, and it's not allowed in my house. It's basically pureed sweet potatoes with extra sugar (either brown sugar or maple syrup mixed in, dumped in a casserole dish, baked, and topped with marshmallows. People serve it not as dessert, but as a side dish. Gag.

Never have liked sweet potatoes, and I probably still wouldn't like them as part of this amalgam of sugar and marshmallow slime. I think you're right on in banning that particular dish.

We make them by taking fresh sliced sweet potatoes, with sliced fresh yams, layered with sliced fresh apples. Plenty of cinnamon, nutmeg, butter...bake for 30 minutes or so and voila...heaven!

I like turkey, but I'm not to fond of its giblets (whatever they are)...

It's just the heart, gizzard and liver. I always fry them, along with the neck, when I start making the gravy.

In that case, I'll have the turkey, and you have the giblets... ew...

It's just the heart, gizzard and liver. I always fry them, along with the neck, when I start making the gravy.

I only fry them to get a nice fond in my Dutch oven for a base for the gravy. I discard them after frying. I don't reserve them. Some people shred them and place them back into the gravy at the end.

We're having chicken. Turkeys are too expensive unless you shell out a substantial sum of money. The best part of our meal is my famous Pumpkin Cheesecake.

We've done the same thing before with the chicken; makes perfect sense if you only have a few people at dinner, as we do most years. Pumpkin cheesecake is delicious - in fact I like all things pumpkin EXCEPT pumpkin pie. It's the consistency and texture of pumpkin pie that turns me off.

One year I went completely off the traditional Thanksgiving grid with the dessert and made Bastille Day Cake. What is Bastille Day Cake, you might ask? Well, it's lemony cake. :D

• Like 2

I only fry them to get a nice fond in my Dutch oven for a base for the gravy. I discard them after frying. I don't reserve them. Some people shred them and place them back into the gravy at the end.

So you don't actually eat the giblets..?

We're having chicken. Turkeys are too expensive unless you shell out a substantial sum of money. The best part of our meal is my famous Pumpkin Cheesecake.

We've done the same thing before with the chicken; makes perfect sense if you only have a few people at dinner, as we do most years. Pumpkin cheesecake is delicious - in fact I like all things pumpkin EXCEPT pumpkin pie. It's the consistency and texture of pumpkin pie that turns me off.

One year I went completely off the traditional Thanksgiving grid with the dessert and made Bastille Day Cake. What is Bastille Day Cake, you might ask? Well, it's lemony cake. :D

Me too - anything pumpkin except Pumpkin Pie. And if I do eat a piece, I make sure I put lots of whipped cream on it to perk up the taste.

It's just the two of us for Thursday, and the chicken I got is six and a half pounds. I just remembered a little while ago to take it out of the freezer! Hope it thaws. Last year, we had chicken too, and I read somewhere on the internet to put an onion in the cavity of the chicken, so I did. Gave it a really good flavor!

The Pumpkin Cheesecake is the best and so easy to make.

Some people do eat them. Gross.

Some people do eat them. Gross.

Oh Gawd..! :o

I love sweet potatoes but I hate this type of casserole. Candied sweet potatoes/yams are good but I prefer to par-boil the potatoes, then roast them under the broiler in brown sugar and butter until they carmelize. Friends of ours insisted on making Thanksgiving one year and they made that sweet potato mashed up casserole Mara has been describing. They appropriately called it, "The Nast." My stomach still turns thinking about that dish.

That stuff is just gross. It's a dessert to me, not part of the dinner. Bleah!

I like turkey OK, but it's generally a messy pain in the ass to prepare and then it occupies the oven all damn day. (If I'm going to go to the trouble of cooking a turkey, it's gonna be a big mother so it'll feed us for a few days). Taste-wise I really prefer a nice roasted chicken.

This year? Making a pork tenderloin, with the usual traditional sides. Well, except for the sweet potatoes. We're having regular mashed. Just the sight of that marshmallow-covered casserole dish of pureed orange glop makes me want to hurl.

Mom is bringing dressing (the Southern alternative to stuffing), since I'm not much of a fan and have never learned to make it. I'm doing her broccoli casserole recipe, though, and there are NEVER any leftovers of that. Cranberry sauce with real cranberries, cooked down slowly with port wine.

Oh, and I'm also making a pumpkin cake w/ cream cheese icing instead of pumpkin pie, which no one in the family likes.

What time should I be there?

:LOL: Pumpkin cheesecake finished and it smells heavenly. I am glad I didn't do this year what I did last year. Last year I dropped the hand mixer in the batter. While it was running. I will leave it to your imagination what the kitchen looked like and what I looked like frantically trying to get it out of the batter. A smart person would have pulled the plug. :LOL:

Okay, here's the plan:

Dinner will be at Janie's house on Thanksgiving and at Mara's place the day after Thanksgiving.

Narpet will bring the ham and the Yes albums.

Lerxster can have the broccoli casserole and the brussel sprouts.

We're all set!

I will bring the Egg Nog (with Bourbon for those who imbibe).

I'm from New Orleans, how can I not bring liquor to a gathering?

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Cheers,

crimsonfrippy (who used to be frippy until she decided to change it)

• Like 1

Okay, here's the plan:

Dinner will be at Janie's house on Thanksgiving and at Mara's place the day after Thanksgiving.

We're all set!

Cheers,

I thought that was you! You will always be welcome here if you bring the spirits. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and eating tons of good food.
  • Like 1

Who's bringing Rush? What kind of celebration is possible without them??

I don't care who brings them as long as they all get here. I need Geddy and Neil to serve as a distraction so no one notices me having Alex for dessert.
  • Like 3

Okay, here's the plan:

We're all set!

Cheers,

I thought that was you! You will always be welcome here if you bring the spirits. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and eating tons of good food.

Hi Janie!

Yes, it is I, frippy. Now crimsonfrippy. Just decided to change it and hoping that my friends on TRF don't delete me from their friend lists!

Actually I can also supply rum, scotch and vodka. I always have a fully stocked bar.

:martini: :cosmo: :macallan:

I volunteer to drive to each one of their houses and pick them up. I really don't mind doing this.

:laughing guy:

Frippy, that's is so very nice of you! Above and beyond the call of duty. If you are sure you don't mind, it would help if you could give them all a lift. I understand Neil's new car is on the fritz. :laughing guy:

• Like 2

Okay, here's the plan:

We're all set!

Cheers,

Hi Janie!

Yes, it is I, frippy. Now crimsonfrippy. Just decided to change it and hoping that my friends on TRF don't delete me from their friend lists!

Actually I can also supply rum, scotch and vodka. I always have a fully stocked bar.

You. Here. Now. :LOL: I'll put the bird in the oven, we'll get sauced and talk Rush.
  • Like 1

Okay, here's the plan:

We're all set!

Cheers,

Hi Janie!

You. Here. Now. :LOL: I'll put the bird in the oven, we'll get sauced and talk Rush.

Sounds like a plan, Janie!

:cosmo:

I volunteer to drive to each one of their houses and pick them up. I really don't mind doing this.

:laughing guy:

Frippy, that's is so very nice of you! Above and beyond the call of duty. If you are sure you don't mind, it would help if you could give them all a lift. I understand Neil's new car is on the fritz. :laughing guy:

Neil needs to pay attention when driving! He can't be all philosophical and drive at the same time...I mean he isn't a god...or is he?

• Like 1