A non-turkey Thanksgiving

Mara

I like turkey OK, but it's generally a messy pain in the ass to prepare and then it occupies the oven all damn day. (If I'm going to go to the trouble of cooking a turkey, it's gonna be a big mother so it'll feed us for a few days). Taste-wise I really prefer a nice roasted chicken.

This year? Making a pork tenderloin, with the usual traditional sides. Well, except for the sweet potatoes. We're having regular mashed. Just the sight of that marshmallow-covered casserole dish of pureed orange glop makes me want to hurl.

Mom is bringing dressing (the Southern alternative to stuffing), since I'm not much of a fan and have never learned to make it. I'm doing her broccoli casserole recipe, though, and there are NEVER any leftovers of that. Cranberry sauce with real cranberries, cooked down slowly with port wine.

Oh, and I'm also making a pumpkin cake w/ cream cheese icing instead of pumpkin pie, which no one in the family likes.

• Like 3

I am not really a fan of turkey at all. I will eat whatever is put in front of me so long as it is not sweet potatoes. We usually have ham also, or is that at Christmas? Either way there will be plenty of food and pie's for sure........ :yes:
  • Like 1

No turkey? No pumpkin pie? Pseudo stuffing?

Sorry, but I will not be attending the Thanksgiving feast at your place this year.

More for me, then. Except the dressing. Not a fan of soggy bread full of celery bits (I don't care much for the traditional stuffing either), but I realize that not liking stuffing/dressing puts me in a minority.

I do often pick up a turkey the day after Thanksgiving, when the price on the fresh ones drops to about 99 cents/pound. That's too good of a deal to pass up and I will happily spend the time needed to prepare a 20+ pound monster. We'll eat on that for ten days or so (yeah, I know we're just two people but DH can flat out plow through some turkey).

I do often pick up a turkey the day after Thanksgiving, when the price on the fresh ones drops to about 99 cents/pound. That's too good of a deal to pass up and I will happily spend the time needed to prepare a 20+ pound monster. We'll eat on that for ten days or so (yeah, I know we're just two people but DH can flat out plow through some turkey).

Make that three people! I'll be there to feast on the 20+ pound monster. :)

I'll leave the broccoli casserole for you guys, though. My appearance will mark the first time there will be leftovers of that.

Yes I am, and I never even took Home Ec! Call me daring.

The broccoli casserole is easy AND it is ideal for people who don't otherwise care for broccoli. My husband usually picks it out of any dish it happens to be in, but he'll wolf this down. Of course it features a generous amount of cheddar sauce (made the real way, with a bechamel base), and the broccoli is cut into smallish bite-sized pieces instead of being a bunch of giant florets hanging out in the dish. Someone with a violent hatred of broccoli probably wouldn't like it, but again, that's more for the rest of us.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

I certainly hope you publicized this non-turkey Thanksgiving, because turkey hounds like me will be absolutely crushed to see a pork loin instead of turkey.

My mom didn't serve turkey on Thanksgiving once. Once.

Birds are expensive beasts. My grocery store had an offer yesterday that if you spent $150 on groceries, you got a free turkey. The only catch was that it was a frozen bird which wouldn't have been thawed in time for Thanksgiving. So I bought a fresh turkey to have for Thanksgiving and got the free frozen bird for the Christmas feast.

No turkey? No pumpkin pie? Pseudo stuffing?

Sorry, but I will not be attending the Thanksgiving feast at your place this year.

I'll be rockin' out the traditional dinner.

Turkey

Stuffing with sausage, onions and apples

Mashed potatoes

Brussels sprouts

Cranberry sauce

Pumpkin pie

Booze

• Like 2

Okay, here's the plan:

Dinner will be at Janie's house on Thanksgiving and at Mara's place the day after Thanksgiving.

Narpet will bring the ham and the Yes albums.

Lerxster can have the broccoli casserole and the brussel sprouts.

We're all set!

• Like 2

Okay, here's the plan:

Dinner will be at Janie's house on Thanksgiving and at Mara's place the day after Thanksgiving.

We're all set!

:LMAO: Hope someone's got a turntable cause all I got is original vinyl.... I will also bring the treadmill for afterwards........ ;)
  • Like 1

Okay, here's the plan:

We're all set!

Broccoli casserole and brussel sprouts? I'm set for the worst Thanksgiving evah! :(

• Like 1

Okay, here's the plan:

We're all set!

Broccoli casserole and brussel sprouts? I'm set for the worst Thanksgiving evah! :(

Chin up, chum. Maybe Mara can serve you some of that awesome-sounding orange glop she mentioned in her first post.

Since it is just my hubby and I we do two turkey breasts so we can have leftovers for sandwiches.

We have been told by our doc to go on the Mediterranean Diet so I am only having sweet potatoes and a little stuffing. Guess grean beans for a veggie.

Have not thought about a dessert since I shouldn't be having any!

The treadmill is a good idea. We'll need to maintain our chiseled physiques somehow after consuming hefty shares of turkey, ham, and pie.

Outside, please. No pukin' in my house. I'm sure Jane shares that sentiment.

• Like 1

Since it is just my hubby and I we do two turkey breasts so we can have leftovers for sandwiches.

Actually, sandwiches are always the way to go for me. I find turkey kinda boring unless it's part of a sandwich.

The treadmill is a good idea. We'll need to maintain our chiseled physiques somehow after consuming hefty shares of turkey, ham, and pie.

Haha, no worries!

Okay, here's the plan:

We're all set!

Chin up, chum. Maybe Mara can serve you some of that awesome-sounding orange glop she mentioned in her first post.

The pumpkin cake? :P

I'm starting to not feel well. I may be too ill to attend. In fact, I know I can't make it- sorry! (cough)

You'll have to exercise in the morning because with a belly full of turkey, mashed potatoes and lots and lots of wine, the only thing I will be doing is curling up on the couch in front of the fireplace and zone out watching tv. But you, you knock yourself out with all that post dinner exercise. You'll feel ripped from all the barfing you'll do.

I like turkey OK, but it's generally a messy pain in the ass to prepare and then it occupies the oven all damn day. (If I'm going to go to the trouble of cooking a turkey, it's gonna be a big mother so it'll feed us for a few days). Taste-wise I really prefer a nice roasted chicken.

This year? Making a pork tenderloin, with the usual traditional sides. Well, except for the sweet potatoes. We're having regular mashed. Just the sight of that marshmallow-covered casserole dish of pureed orange glop makes me want to hurl.

Mom is bringing dressing (the Southern alternative to stuffing), since I'm not much of a fan and have never learned to make it. I'm doing her broccoli casserole recipe, though, and there are NEVER any leftovers of that. Cranberry sauce with real cranberries, cooked down slowly with port wine.

Oh, and I'm also making a pumpkin cake w/ cream cheese icing instead of pumpkin pie, which no one in the family likes.

You could go out and buy a ready cooked turkey.

Okay, here's the plan:

We're all set!

I don't make the orange glop, also known as sweet potato casserole, and it's not allowed in my house. It's basically pureed sweet potatoes with extra sugar (either brown sugar or maple syrup mixed in, dumped in a casserole dish, baked, and topped with marshmallows. People serve it not as dessert, but as a side dish. Gag.

You could go out and buy a ready cooked turkey.

I suppose so, but the raw fresh ones are pricey enough.

I don't make the orange glop, also known as sweet potato casserole, and it's not allowed in my house. It's basically pureed sweet potatoes with extra sugar (either brown sugar or maple syrup mixed in, dumped in a casserole dish, baked, and topped with marshmallows. People serve it not as dessert, but as a side dish. Gag.

Never have liked sweet potatoes, and I probably still wouldn't like them as part of this amalgam of sugar and marshmallow slime. I think you're right on in banning that particular dish.

Okay, here's the plan:

We're all set!

I would just be excited to meet a woman of the fairer sex that loved my band. Truth be told I have never known one or even met one....... :no: Edited by Narpet