What gives with these concert setlists?

Czarcasm

Do you genuinely believe that Tom Sayer, tSoR and Subdivisions are their best songs? I hate to sound like a hipster but aren't those their most most mainstream songs? I've always found that the most fun part of listening to any band is listening to their entire catalogue and finding lesser known songs you really love. Right now you sound like a fan who likes their radio favourites without much personal taste of his own. If these songs are your favourites you could just buy a greatest hits collection and be set for life. Sounds really f*ckin boring.

I don't want you to think I'm picking on you, but I have never understood this mind set. With every band there is always a segment of the fan base that thinks that somehow you seem more dedicated if you only like the obscure material, and don't like the more popular material. And when you point out that Moving Pictures sold more copies than Test For Echo for a reason, the "Lady Gaga sells lots of records, is she better than Rush?" straw man comes out. To some degree, "mainstream" songs are mainstream because they're so good that even people who aren't die hard fans of a band sit up and take notice. I'm a huge Black Sabbath fan. I love Volume 4. But there's a reason why rock fans in general own Paranoid, and Black Sabbath fans own Volume 4. Same with Rush. If you're a rock fan you probably own a copy of Moving PIctures. It's that good. A Rush fan owns Counterparts. It has its moments, but it's not a great album.

As for Rush's most recent set list, there are plenty of songs from the 1983-1996 era I would have preferred over those that made the set list for the CA tour. And Rush not playing Tom Sawyer would be like Black Sabbath not playing Paranoid. Never going to happen.

I completely agree. Moving Pictures is the only Rush album I would say that qualifies as a definitive classic up in the upper echelon of classic rock along with Dark Side of The Moon, LZ IV, etc. It's their only album where every note is in the right place and nothing is off.

Anyway back on topic, I reeaaally wonder how many casual fans are going to these concerts. If you know Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio, would you really go anyway fully knowing you have 2 hours of unknown material to sit through? I never saw Rush as a band that a causal listener would go to, especially at this point in their career where (normally) a lot of new material is played.

I in turn completely agree that Rush is no longer a band that casual listeners see live. When I first saw them on the Moving Pictures tour maybe. Now, definitely not.

• Like 1

Do you genuinely believe that Tom Sayer, tSoR and Subdivisions are their best songs? I hate to sound like a hipster but aren't those their most most mainstream songs? I've always found that the most fun part of listening to any band is listening to their entire catalogue and finding lesser known songs you really love. Right now you sound like a fan who likes their radio favourites without much personal taste of his own. If these songs are your favourites you could just buy a greatest hits collection and be set for life. Sounds really f*ckin boring.

I don't want you to think I'm picking on you, but I have never understood this mind set. With every band there is always a segment of the fan base that thinks that somehow you seem more dedicated if you only like the obscure material, and don't like the more popular material. And when you point out that Moving Pictures sold more copies than Test For Echo for a reason, the "Lady Gaga sells lots of records, is she better than Rush?" straw man comes out. To some degree, "mainstream" songs are mainstream because they're so good that even people who aren't die hard fans of a band sit up and take notice. I'm a huge Black Sabbath fan. I love Volume 4. But there's a reason why rock fans in general own Paranoid, and Black Sabbath fans own Volume 4. Same with Rush. If you're a rock fan you probably own a copy of Moving PIctures. It's that good. A Rush fan owns Counterparts. It has its moments, but it's not a great album.

As for Rush's most recent set list, there are plenty of songs from the 1983-1996 era I would have preferred over those that made the set list for the CA tour. And Rush not playing Tom Sawyer would be like Black Sabbath not playing Paranoid. Never going to happen.

I completely agree. Moving Pictures is the only Rush album I would say that qualifies as a definitive classic up in the upper echelon of classic rock along with Dark Side of The Moon, LZ IV, etc. It's their only album where every note is in the right place and nothing is off.

Anyway back on topic, I reeaaally wonder how many casual fans are going to these concerts. If you know Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio, would you really go anyway fully knowing you have 2 hours of unknown material to sit through? I never saw Rush as a band that a causal listener would go to, especially at this point in their career where (normally) a lot of new material is played.

I in turn completely agree that Rush is no longer a band that casual listeners see live. When I first saw them on the Moving Pictures tour maybe. Now, definitely not.

I went to my first Rush gig in 2007 as a casual listener and came out a fan. The same was true in 2010 for at least two of my friends. So in my view, they must be doing something right with these setlists! :yes:

• Like 2

I am bored at the moment waiting for my sh*ty ***skins to play and most likely get beat by the sh*ty Giants. I have decided at long last to build a set list. This may be a big moment for me on The Forum. A right of passage so to speak. This set list is taking in consideration the boys age at this point so it is shorter than recent years. I have also included a short break just in case of any potential "going problems" in the band or the old males in the audience. Also a shout out to my mentor L2K for his inspiration as well as the basic tools for set list building. Here goes............

Bastille Day

Anthem

Fly By Night/In the Mood

Something For Nothing

Lakeside Park

I. Overture

II. The Temple's Of Syrinx

III. Presentation

IIII. Soliloquy

V. Grand Finale'

Bathroom Break

By Tor & The Snow Dog

(Start to finish)

In The End

Working Man/Finding My Way/ Drum Solo (complete with cowbell)

What You're Doing

Tom Sawyer (just kidding)

I would pay real good money to see this and probably die even a little happier man than I already am :)

Edited by Narpet
  • Like 3

You know, I'll repeat what I said to the angry guy sitting behind me who was whining about the setlist- if you're gonna spend all that money for tickets and everything, READ INTO THE SHOW YOU'RE BUYING TICKETS FOR. Check the setlist. Not that hard.
  • Like 3

If Counterparts had any hits, I'm sure they would play them.

Fans love B sides of B albums and they post on TRF. The other 16,000 that go to Rush shows don't.

I'm one of the fans that posts on TRF that hopes to hear Supervisons and Freewilly every show if they leave Alien Shore in its very appropriate vault.

If Counterparts had any hits, I'm sure they would play them.

Fans love B sides of B albums and they post on TRF. The other 16,000 that go to Rush shows don't.

I'm one of the fans that posts on TRF that hopes to hear Supervisons and Freewilly every show if they leave Alien Shore in its very appropriate vault.

But you really don't want to hear something new that you might possibly like? I always thought the unconventional solo in alien shore was brilliant, I'd love to hear it in a stadium rock setting. Maybe a bad example for the majority of you guys but it seems like it would be an exciting moment.

And I probably misinterpreted your post, but Counterparts does have hits, Animate, Leave that thing Alone and Stick it Out have all appeared on live albums and at least the first two are played quite a lot. I doubt they're radio classics but the band likes them enough to play them repeatedly in concert.

I am bored at the moment waiting for my sh*ty ***skins to play and most likely get beat by the sh*ty Giants. I have decided at long last to build a set list. This may be a big moment for me on The Forum. A right of passage so to speak. This set list is taking in consideration the boys age at this point so it is shorter than recent years. I have also included a short break just in case of any potential "going problems" in the band or the old males in the audience. Also a shout out to my mentor L2K for his inspiration as well as the basic tools for set building. Here goes............

Bastille Day

Anthem

Fly By Night/In the Mood

Something For Nothing

Lakeside Park

I. Overture

III. Presentation

IIII. Soliloquy

V. Grand Finale'

Bathroom Break

By Tor & The Snow Dog

(Start to finish)

In The End

What You're Doing

I would pay real good money to see this and probably die even a little happier man than I already am :)

That looks strangely familiar! Though I'm not sure why... :LOL:

• Like 1

I am bored at the moment waiting for my sh*ty ***skins to play and most likely get beat by the sh*ty Giants. I have decided at long last to build a set list. This may be a big moment for me on The Forum. A right of passage so to speak. This set list is taking in consideration the boys age at this point so it is shorter than recent years. I have also included a short break just in case of any potential "going problems" in the band or the old males in the audience. Also a shout out to my mentor L2K for his inspiration as well as the basic tools for set building. Here goes............

Bastille Day

Anthem

Fly By Night/In the Mood

Something For Nothing

Lakeside Park

I. Overture

III. Presentation

IIII. Soliloquy

V. Grand Finale'

Bathroom Break

By Tor & The Snow Dog

(Start to finish)

In The End

What You're Doing

That looks strangely familiar! Though I'm not sure why... :LOL:

Just a dream and some tongue and cheek....... Anyone who takes that beautiful set list seriously hasn't read any of my previous posts for sure..... :)

Rush has to play TSOR, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, etc. because that's what the bulk of people want to hear. No band caters to their core fanbase more than Rush, but they can't forget about everyone else, either.

And honestly, I can't get sick of the aforementioned songs. Rush is my favorite band but those are incredible songs. It'd be criminal if they weren't played. I don't get the whole "they're not great because the mainstream likes them." I listen to Lady Gaga all the time. If it sounds good, it is good. And those are classics.

It's like if I went to a ZZ Top concert. I really, really like those guys but just never dove into their deep cuts, and I'd be pretty upset if I didn't hear La Grange, Tush, or Waiting For The Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago.

Edited by ZachenFoot

Rush has to play TSOR, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, etc. because that's what the bulk of people want to hear. No band caters to their core fanbase more than Rush, but they can't forget about everyone else, either.

And honestly, I can't get sick of the aforementioned songs. Rush is my favorite band but those are incredible songs. It'd be criminal if they weren't played. I don't get the whole "they're not great because the mainstream likes them." I listen to Lady Gaga all the time. If it sounds good, it is good. And those are classics.

It's like if I went to a ZZ Top concert. I really, really like those guys but just never dove into their deep cuts, and I'd be pretty upset if I didn't hear La Grange, Tush, or Waiting For The Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago.

I'm tired of bumping this thread, but I'm not against them because they're mainstream. I'm against them because any self respecting Rush fan should be tired of hearing these songs for the billionth time. I can't even listen to PeW properly anymore because I'm so sick of tSoR. It's good, it's a classic, but I think and I KNOW that there are better songs that could be played that haven't had anywhere near the same level of exposure.

ANYONE POSTING AFTER THIS REGARDING THE ORIGINAL TOPIC CAN STOP.

ALL THE POINTS HAVE BEEN MADE ALREADY

THE SUMMARY OF MY OPINIONS ON THE SUBJECT IS IN THIS VERY POST!

STOP CIRCLE JERKING OVER THE SAME THREE ALBUMS

ANYONE WHO POSTS AFTER THE LINE BELOW HASN'T READ THE ENTIRE THREAD AND CAN CHOKE ON A BAG OF DICKS

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by Czarcasm

I'm tired of bumping this thread, but I'm not against them because they're mainstream. I'm against them because any self respecting Rush fan should be tired of hearing these songs for the billionth time. I can't even listen to PeW properly anymore because I'm so sick of tSoR. It's good, it's a classic, but I think and I KNOW that there are better songs that could be played that haven't had anywhere near the same level of exposure.

ANYONE WHO POSTS AFTER THE LINE BELOW HASN'T READ THE ENTIRE THREAD AND CAN CHOKE ON A BAG OF DICKS

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Relax. BTW, I had some Vienna Sausages instead........ :)
  • Like 1

Relax. BTW, MMmmmmmmmm, dicks~~ In a bag also... :drool:

You know, I'll repeat what I said to the angry guy sitting behind me who was whining about the setlist- if you're gonna spend all that money for tickets and everything, READ INTO THE SHOW YOU'RE BUYING TICKETS FOR. Check the setlist. Not that hard.

If you actually really said that to some angry guy, that's absolutely awesome.

• Like 4

Bastille Day

Anthem

Fly By Night/In the Mood

Something For Nothing

Lakeside Park

I. Overture

III. Presentation

IIII. Soliloquy

V. Grand Finale'

Bathroom Break

By Tor & The Snow Dog

(Start to finish)

In The End

What You're Doing

I couldn't have done better myself! Bravo young padawan! :codger:
  • Like 2

Both Albums are about the same in my book:

Presto:

Great: Show Don't Tell, Presto, Where's my Thing?,

Good: Chain Lightning, Scars, The Pass, Available Light

Ordinary: War Paint, Superconductor,

Poor: Red Tide

Awful: Anagram for (Mongo), Hand over Fist

T4E:

Great: Test for Echo, Driven, Limbo

Good: Half the World, Resist, Time and Motion

Ordinary: Color of Right, Todem

Poor: Carve away the Stone

Awful: Virtuality, Dog years

I guess Presto is better by one song ...Available Light!

Look man - I recognize the inherent subjectivity of musical appreciation, but to try to quantify "who's better who's best" by song strengths seems woefully circutious. I mean, can you do the same with "Houses of the Holy" and "ZoSo"? Or with "Joshua Tree" and "How to Dismantle..."?

Besides, "Hand Over Fist" is sonically one of the better songs on the album. Those Taurus pedals during the bridge - through a decent stereo set-up - vibrate the foundation. It's also one of Neil's more authentic commentaries on humanity.

Bastille Day

Anthem

Fly By Night/In the Mood

Something For Nothing

Lakeside Park

I. Overture

III. Presentation

IIII. Soliloquy

V. Grand Finale'

Bathroom Break

By Tor & The Snow Dog

(Start to finish)

In The End

What You're Doing

I would pay real good money to see this and probabe even a little happier man than I already am :)

A tasty selection no doubt. The challenge with this whippersnapper is getting him clued into all the good stuff he's been missing out on...L2K,would you please give this guy a mandatory listening assignment starting with HYF. He's got holes in his Rush resume he needs to address.
  • Like 2

Seriously. In this day and age, there's no excuse for not knowing the setlist beforehand. And if you choose to remain ignorant of the setlist, then don't act all bummed when it's not what you anticipated it to be.

It seems paradoxical. I mean, if I'm going to go out of my way to NOT know the setlist, then I should be enough of a far-seeing fan to appreciate whatever they play. Does that make sense?

As a rabid Phish fan - a band who NEVER plays the same set twice,m I can be forgiven with knocking a particualr show - knowing the next one will be vastly different. But as a rabid Rush fan, I'm going to accept both the peaks and the chasms of a particular tour.

• Like 2

Both Albums are about the same in my book:

Presto:

Great: Show Don't Tell, Presto, Where's my Thing?,

Good: Chain Lightning, Scars, The Pass, Available Light

Ordinary: War Paint, Superconductor,

Poor: Red Tide

Awful: Anagram for (Mongo), Hand over Fist

T4E:

Great: Test for Echo, Driven, Limbo

Good: Half the World, Resist, Time and Motion

Ordinary: Color of Right, Todem

Poor: Carve away the Stone

Awful: Virtuality, Dog years

I guess Presto is better by one song ...Available Light!

Look man - I recognize the inherent subjectivity of musical appreciation, but to try to quantify "who's better who's best" by song strengths seems woefully circutious. I mean, can you do the same with "Houses of the Holy" and "ZoSo"? Or with "Joshua Tree" and "How to Dismantle..."?

Besides, "Hand Over Fist" is sonically one of the better songs on the album. Those Taurus pedals during the bridge - through a decent stereo set-up - vibrate the foundation. It's also one of Neil's more authentic commentaries on humanity.

Perhaps, but the song is still one of their weakest moments ever. :codger:

With a 40 year career and around 20 albums of material, why do they always play the same songs? Rush is known as the biggest cult band in the world and there are fans who have been to dozens of shows. Do these die hards really need to hear or want to hear Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions or The Spirit of Radio Again?

Well, yes, they do. ANY fan would want to hear their best music.

For f*cks sake, this was the 20th anniversary of Counterparts, why couldn't they mention this and then include a few more tracks from that album?

Counterparts, for the most part, is forgettable.

Can you imagine how amazing it would be to hear Cut to the Chase or Alien Shore for the first time live?

Oh wow! That would be awesome! Get real, dude......

Both these songs have incredible solos and are infinitely more interesting than the usual stuff Rush pulls out.

Wrong again. 'Counterparts' is the 'usual stuff'. As in, uninteresting.

Sure, fire up 'Animate Me'...after that...who cares?

You can't tell me that as a fan you would seriously want to hear Limelight over an underplayed CP track or any other unplayed track from their catalogue.

Yes, I can.

I don't get it. It feels like rush has released 5 live albums in less than a decade and THE SAME SONGS KEEP GETTING PLAYED. Why would I pay money to hear the same songs again only sung, produced and played WORSE!?

Instead of playing tSoR again why not work hard and translate songs from VT to the stage? Or take songs that people have forgotten from TfE and make them into legendary live performances? The playing from that album is godly, why not choose and play 3 songs from that album that would be facemeltingly good?

At his point is almost seems like disrespect to fans. I don't care if they whipped out a few PoW songs this tour. With such a large catalogue, they should feel compelled to create entirely new setlists with each tour. They're a cult band with a huge following of dedicated listeners and for the majority of the time they still tour like an oldies band who play the same 15 songs to death.

What planet do you live on?

Chris

With a 40 year career and around 20 albums of material, why do they always play the same songs? Rush is known as the biggest cult band in the world and there are fans who have been to dozens of shows. Do these die hards really need to hear or want to hear Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions or The Spirit of Radio Again?

Well, yes, they do. ANY fan would want to hear their best music.

For f*cks sake, this was the 20th anniversary of Counterparts, why couldn't they mention this and then include a few more tracks from that album?

Counterparts, for the most part, is forgettable.

Can you imagine how amazing it would be to hear Cut to the Chase or Alien Shore for the first time live?

Oh wow! That would be awesome! Get real, dude......

Both these songs have incredible solos and are infinitely more interesting than the usual stuff Rush pulls out.

Wrong again. 'Counterparts' is the 'usual stuff'. As in, uninteresting.

Sure, fire up 'Animate Me'...after that...who cares?

You can't tell me that as a fan you would seriously want to hear Limelight over an underplayed CP track or any other unplayed track from their catalogue.

Yes, I can.

I don't get it. It feels like rush has released 5 live albums in less than a decade and THE SAME SONGS KEEP GETTING PLAYED. Why would I pay money to hear the same songs again only sung, produced and played WORSE!?

Instead of playing tSoR again why not work hard and translate songs from VT to the stage? Or take songs that people have forgotten from TfE and make them into legendary live performances? The playing from that album is godly, why not choose and play 3 songs from that album that would be facemeltingly good?

At his point is almost seems like disrespect to fans. I don't care if they whipped out a few PoW songs this tour. With such a large catalogue, they should feel compelled to create entirely new setlists with each tour. They're a cult band with a huge following of dedicated listeners and for the majority of the time they still tour like an oldies band who play the same 15 songs to death.

What planet do you live on?

Chris

Hey, CHRIS.

After carefully and thoroughly reading your post I think I can simplify its core message to one sentence. "Stop liking what I don't like!"

Honestly,you just sound to me like one of those Rush fans with the mentality that says "old Rush good, new Rush bad!"

Do you genuinely believe that Tom Sayer, tSoR and Subdivisions are their best songs? I hate to sound like a hipster but aren't those their most most mainstream songs? I've always found that the most fun part of listening to any band is listening to their entire catalogue and finding lesser known songs you really love.

Agreed - which I can do in the privacy of my own listening room. I've done it with just about every artist - my favorites being ones that aren;t mainstream.

However, a show to a mass audience is going to be a balance between pleasing the season-ticket holders and the single-game novelty fans. Inevitably, someone is going to feel disappointed until they realize the show is as good as they want it to be.

• Like 1

Bastille Day

Anthem

Fly By Night/In the Mood

Something For Nothing

Lakeside Park

I. Overture

III. Presentation

IIII. Soliloquy

V. Grand Finale'

Bathroom Break

By Tor & The Snow Dog

(Start to finish)

In The End

What You're Doing

I would pay real good money to see this and probabe even a little happier man than I already am :)

A tasty selection no doubt. The challenge with this whippersnapper is getting him clued into all the good stuff he's been missing out on...L2K,would you please give this guy a mandatory listening assignment starting with HYF. He's got holes in his Rush resume he needs to address.

Read one of my posts in the Test For Echo thread today. I have started that assignment as per L2K's instructions. Not going well so far..... :(
  • Like 2

Bastille Day

Anthem

Fly By Night/In the Mood

Something For Nothing

Lakeside Park

I. Overture

III. Presentation

IIII. Soliloquy

V. Grand Finale'

Bathroom Break

By Tor & The Snow Dog

(Start to finish)

In The End

What You're Doing

HYF listening assignment: Make yourself a playlist as follows:

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Open Secrets

Mission

Turn The Page

Prime Mover

Lock And Key

:codger:

• Like 1

Seriously. In this day and age, there's no excuse for not knowing the setlist beforehand. And if you choose to remain ignorant of the setlist, then don't act all bummed when it's not what you anticipated it to be.

It seems paradoxical. I mean, if I'm going to go out of my way to NOT know the setlist, then I should be enough of a far-seeing fan to appreciate whatever they play. Does that make sense?

As a rabid Phish fan - a band who NEVER plays the same set twice,m I can be forgiven with knocking a particualr show - knowing the next one will be vastly different. But as a rabid Rush fan, I'm going to accept both the peaks and the chasms of a particular tour.

Well unless you're there opening night! :codger: Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

Bastille Day

Anthem

Fly By Night/In the Mood

Something For Nothing

Lakeside Park

I. Overture

III. Presentation

IIII. Soliloquy

V. Grand Finale'

Bathroom Break

By Tor & The Snow Dog

(Start to finish)

In The End

What You're Doing

Read one of my posts in the Test For Echo thread today. I have started that assignment as per L2K's instructions. Not going well so far..... :(

I feel ya man...but there are glimpses of brilliance.
  • Like 1

Bastille Day

Anthem

Fly By Night/In the Mood

Something For Nothing

Lakeside Park

I. Overture

III. Presentation

IIII. Soliloquy

V. Grand Finale'

Bathroom Break

By Tor & The Snow Dog

(Start to finish)

In The End

What You're Doing

HYF listening assignment: Make yourself a playlist as follows:

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Open Secrets

Mission

Turn The Page

Prime Mover

Lock And Key

:codger:

This list is perfect. Screw the rest on the album. They're not awful, just oddballs
  • Like 1

Mission is one of my all time favorites.. I am trying to think of something else to say.. Hmmmmmm :huh:
  • Like 2