What gives with these concert setlists?

Czarcasm

Most " classic rock " bands avoid their new material, if any , like the plague, cause they know the fans could give a shit .. Rush fans are more hardcore than that.

I'm a hardcore "fan", but hate everything after 2000.

then you are not a hard Core Fan. A hard core fan understands that " No Changes are Permanent" and excepts what ever direction they have decided to venture towards. Including recording and touring with Keyboards and Strings. :codger:

Your definition of hardcore fan is one that accepts compromise. What u are describing is a "blind" fan. One that is invalid.

Sir, you are the one that's blind and maybe a little def if you can't appreciate anything that came after 2000. Clockwork Angels hold up against anything in the 70's and 80's. Edited by losingit2k

Most " classic rock " bands avoid their new material, if any , like the plague, cause they know the fans could give a shit .. Rush fans are more hardcore than that.

then you are not a hard Core Fan. A hard core fan understands that " No Changes are Permanent" and excepts what ever direction they have decided to venture towards. Including recording and touring with Keyboards or Strings. :codger:

Actually you can create a great and versatile set list with just songs from Counterparts onward.

Alternates are in Italics.

Set 1:

Far Cry

Caravan

BU2B (album Version-(Never Played Live)

Cut to the Chase (Never Played Live)

Vapor Trail (Never Played Live)

Earth Shine / Half the World

Driven (with Bass Solo)

Limbo / Drum Solo #1 / Main Monkey Business

Ceiling Unlimited (Remixed w-solo) (Never Played Live)

One Little Victory (Remixed w-Solo) (Never Played Live)

Set 2:

The Anarchist

Carnies

Stick it Out

Alien Shore (Never Played Live)

Sweet Miracle (Never Played Live)

Working Them Angels / Way the Wind Blows

Nobody's Hero

The Wreckers

The Garden

Mal-Nar/ Drum Solo #2

Alex's Electric Solo - Seven Cities of Gold / Animate

Test For Echo

Clockwork Angels

Encore:

Cold Fire

Secret Touch

Headlong Flight

:rush: :haz: :rush:

Apologies L2K but..... :o :o NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :codger: :P
  • Like 2

then you are not a hard Core Fan. A hard core fan understands that " No Changes are Permanent" and excepts what ever direction they have decided to venture towards. Including recording and touring with Keyboards or Strings. :codger:

Actually you can create a great and versatile set list with just songs from Counterparts onward.

Alternates are in Italics.

Set 1:

Far Cry

Caravan

BU2B (album Version-(Never Played Live)

Cut to the Chase (Never Played Live)

Vapor Trail (Never Played Live)

Earth Shine / Half the World

Driven (with Bass Solo)

Limbo / Drum Solo #1 / Main Monkey Business

Ceiling Unlimited (Remixed w-solo) (Never Played Live)

One Little Victory (Remixed w-Solo) (Never Played Live)

Set 2:

The Anarchist

Carnies

Stick it Out

Alien Shore (Never Played Live)

Sweet Miracle (Never Played Live)

Working Them Angels / Way the Wind Blows

Nobody's Hero

The Wreckers

The Garden

Mal-Nar/ Drum Solo #2

Alex's Electric Solo - Seven Cities of Gold / Animate

Test For Echo

Clockwork Angels

Encore:

Cold Fire

Secret Touch

Headlong Flight

:rush: :haz: :rush:

Apologies L2K but..... :o :o NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :codger: :P

Thats it, No Lessons for you! NEXT!

http://hollywoodeastconnection.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Soup-Nazi.jpg

To the two people who said they feel that the lesser hits (and by lesser hits, what hit me was that you mentioned The Big Money) need to go away, I say, it has not been played since the vapor trails tour and was a welcome come back. Same can be said for Force Ten not being played since R30

I was more then surprised by the luke warm response of the "different" set list of the Clock Work tour. And really thought it would've been embraced more enthusiastically by the long time fans such as myself wanting deeper or rarely played cuts. Still have a hard time accepting the obvious most want the concert staples only... And don't veer to far off the path with selections from eras not as radio classic rock friendly.

then you are not a hard Core Fan. A hard core fan understands that " No Changes are Permanent" and excepts what ever direction they have decided to venture towards. Including recording and touring with Keyboards and Strings. :codger:

Your definition of hardcore fan is one that accepts compromise. What u are describing is a "blind" fan. One that is invalid.

Sir, you are the one that's blind and maybe a little def if you can't appreciate anything that came after 2000. Clockwork Angels hold up against anything in the 70's and 80's.

I disagree. CA is better than some stuff from the 70s and 80s. But I can still think of some Rush albums from those decades that absolutely destroy it. And, I like CA!

Accepting ANYTHING they put out is, as Gemini said, what a blind fan does. I've been a fan since I was 9 when Exit...Stage Left was the new album. I flew 7000 miles to see 2 Rush gigs. I climbed to the top of a sacred Chinese mountain because of a Rush song that I don't even like that much. I think these are some examples of why I would be considered hardcore. So, I think I can be

'allowed' to say that I didn't like what they did (overall) on RTB and that I truly dislike some of those songs. Having those opinions shouldn't NOT make me 'hardcore'..

• Like 2

I was more then surprised by the luke warm response of the "different" set list of the Clock Work tour. And really thought it would've been embraced more enthusiastically by the long time fans such as myself wanting deeper or rarely played cuts. Still have a hard time accepting the obvious most want the concert staples only... And don't veer to far off the path with selections from eras not as radio classic rock friendly.

I know, I think it's funny how people say they want the deep cuts, but if the CA crowd reactions were any indication, people only want "deep cuts" if they came out before 1981.

• Like 2

Sir, you are the one that's blind and maybe a little def if you can't appreciate anything that came after 2000. Clockwork Angels hold up against anything in the 70's and 80's.

I disagree. CA is better than some stuff from the 70s and 80s. But I can still think of some Rush albums from those decades that absolutely destroy it. And, I like CA!

Accepting ANYTHING they put out is, as Gemini said, what a blind fan does. I've been a fan since I was 9 when Exit...Stage Left was the new album. I flew 7000 miles to see 2 Rush gigs. I climbed to the top of a sacred Chinese mountain because of a Rush song that I don't even like that much. I think these are some examples of why I would be considered hardcore. So, I think I can be

'allowed' to say that I didn't like what they did (overall) on RTB and that I truly dislike some of those songs. Having those opinions shouldn't NOT make me 'hardcore'..

But you did listen to it, and you somewhat accepted it. You might not have liked it just like I don't really care for Virtuality, Speed of Love or Dog Years. But I have accepted them as RUSH songs. That doesn't mean you like everything they've done. There are songs on RTB I can't swallow either but I've still accepted it as a RUSH album and it still has at least four to five tracks I enjoy. There's a difference between accepting and turning a blinds eye. I am not a Blind fan by any measure. I might just actually like some of their newer stuff. Its not that far fetched. And if last tour's set list proves anything is that many other fans do as well. There is nearly 40 years of RUSH to choose from, you don't have to like everything they've done, but I think you do need to accept or at least acknowledge it. :codger: You wouldn't have PeW or MP without Hemispheres or Hemispheres without 2112. Or more recently Clockwork Angels without what came before. Its all RUSH...accept it!

I'd consider myself a "hardcore" iron maiden fan and they've got 4 albums I can't even listen to from start to finish

• Like 1

To me it's just the same as most other bands who have had success with hit songs.

Not everyone in the crowd will be super-serious fans, so they play the more popular material to satisfy the casual listeners.

I was incredibly satisfied with the setlist for the CA tour. I absolutely enjoyed them going deep into Power Windows, as well as reviving Where's My Thing (a personal favorite).

Neil's changes to his solo were also very well-done, imo.

• Like 1

But you did listen to it, and you somewhat accepted it. You might not have liked it just like I don't really care for Virtuality, Speed of Love or Dog Years. But I have accepted them as RUSH songs. That doesn't mean you like everything they've done. There are songs on RTB I can't swallow either but I've still accepted it as a RUSH album and it still has at least four to five tracks I enjoy. There's a difference between accepting and turning a blinds eye. I am not a Blind fan by any measure. I might just actually like some of their newer stuff. Its not that far fetched. And if last tour's set list proves anything is that many other fans do as well. There is nearly 40 years of RUSH to choose from, you don't have to like everything they've done, but I think you do need to accept or at least acknowledge it. :codger: You wouldn't have PeW or MP without Hemispheres or Hemispheres without 2112. Or more recently Clockwork Angels without what came before. Its all RUSH...accept it!

I don't exactly know what you mean by "accepted".

What you said before seems different than what you're saying here. They make songs and we listen. I like them or not. I accept that they have made some shit songs. I accept that I actually don't like ALL of their albums (even though I may like a few songs on those I dislike). I accept that they've been my favorite band for the last 30+ years.

• Like 1

ive seen the band 49 times now IF they can play for ONE surprise song i'll be very happy. now for my 50th i need to do something special that i've never done before. Such as seeing them in a foreign country in front of a foreign speaking audience, that would be interesting. Say has the band ever played PARIS France?
  • Like 1

They played 19 songs on this tour that they did not play on the previous tour. Most bands don't play 19 total.

The ones they repeated get the biggest crowd response. I like what they do with the set lists.

Wow. I wasn't aware that it was 19 (other than the CA songs). That's definitiely something most bands - outside of Pearl Jam or Phish or a few others - would never do.

• Like 2

I don't exactly know what you mean by "accepted".

What you said before seems different than what you're saying here. They make songs and we listen. I like them or not. I accept that they have made some shit songs. I accept that I actually don't like ALL of their albums (even though I may like a few songs on those I dislike). I accept that they've been my favorite band for the last 30+ years.

And thats what I mean by Accept. :codger:

I can agree that Presto sucks almost entirely,

Turn in your RUSH card. :tsk:

That's the second time I've been told that in this thread. And no, I won't. Presto is unquestionably their worst effort to date second to only maybe Roll the Bones. It's produced as if the band was playing down the hall instead of in the studio. It's quiet, thin and weak sounding. It's more dated than Hold your Fire due to it's lame attempts to reintroduce the guitar in that cringe worthy late 80's style. The songs sound campy to the point of self parody. The songs Rush deems the best from that album? The Pass, presto and Show don't Tell are the only songs to make it onto greatest hits albums and they still sound like soft rocks abortions. I like to pretend that Rush took a 6 year hiatus between HYF and Counterparts, just because Counterparts is so much infinitely better than the two albums that came before it.

But seriously. Don't tell me to turn in my Rush card for not liking their OBJECTIVELY weakest album. There's being a fan and then there's blind fanboy-ism. You clearly fall into the latter.

Presto is unquestionably their worst effort to date second to only maybe Roll the Bones. It's produced as if the band was playing down the hall instead of in the studio. It's quiet, thin and weak sounding.

These comments, I agree with. Except that I might toss Vapor Trails in between those two.