What gives with these concert setlists?

Czarcasm

More than most bands of their era, Rush mixes it up well IMO. They opened the second set of the S&A tour with, I believe , 5 songs off that album.. You think a candy ass band like Journey would have the balls to do that? Most " classic rock " bands avoid their new material, if any , like the plague, cause they know the fans could give a shit .. Rush fans are more hardcore than that.
  • Like 1

I think that what any one given person wants to hear depends on what degree of fandom he or she has. Since we're all Rush-heads on here, most of us would love for them to swap out some of the biggies to get even more deep cuts. But, for example, my girlfriend's sister is obsessed with Lou Gramm, and since I'm not exactly an expert on Foreigner and Gramm solo stuff, when we went to see him this past summer, I wanted to hear all the hits, and we got them. I'm surprised that someone is complaining about this particular setlist's hits, as opposed to, say, R30 or Time Machine. Those were much more laden with familiar songs than CA.

I don't really understand how you could levy this complaint against the Clockwork Angels tour. ALmost half of their setlist was made up of almost the entire new album, which contains all of zero big, recognizable all-time hits.

In terms of hits, the first set has Subdivisions, The Big Money (I guess), and Far Cry, along with a ton of deeper cuts that would bore casual fans. And the second set list had a deep cut in Manhattan Project, and like four of their biggest hits (two of which were the encore, which just makes sense). I'd say that's a pretty damn good setlist for fans of the band.

And PS, Spirit of Radio is my favorite song of all time and I'd be right pissed if they didn't play it.

Edited by puffyshirt
  • Like 3

I saw them 3 times this tour. All three shows had Limelight(I was in Buffalo the first time they played it this gig), I was disappointed not to get Body Electric, Middletown, or some of the other variations of this tour.

That said, although I've been a fan since 1975, I just started seeing them live since the R30 tour. I am so happy that I got to see many of my favorites in this decade, when many other bands are not even playing after so long. I was also totally stoked to see that they played so many of the CA songs.

I have been lucky enough to see classics, like Fly by Night, Working Man(wow awesome), Driven, all of 2112, By-Tor, Closer to the Heart, and let's not forget All of Moving Pictures, which speaks for itself...and many others I'm sure I'm forgetting and that is just in the last decade!

Edited by hcm

I didn't get to see my first Rush concert until last year and my husband hadn't seen them since 1980-ish. So we were both really excited to hear Tom Sawyer and 2112 and all of that jazz. I have friends that go anywhere from 3 to nearly all of the shows each tour and they still get excited to hear them because well... they're Rush fans and we all know how weird and obsessive we can be.

I mean on the CA Tour we got almost the entire new album for the second set and songs that hadn't been played in years, if ever, for the first set. Usually they play the older "standards" if you will, at the end of the concert so if you feel like it, you may make your exit and avoid traffic while the rest of us stay inside and go crazy.

• Like 2

I saw them 3 times this tour. All three shows had Limelight(I was in Buffalo the first time they played it this gig), I was disappointed not to get Body Electric, Middletown, or some of the other variations of this tour.

That said, although I've been a fan since 1975, I just started seeing them live since the R30 tour. I am so happy that I got to see many of my favorites in this decade, when many other bands are not even playing after so long. I was also totally stoked to see that they played so many of the CA songs.

I have been lucky enough to see classics, like Fly by Night, Working Man(wow awesome), Driven, all of 2112, By-Tor, Closer to the Heart, and let's not forget All of Moving Pictures, which speaks for itself...and many others I'm sure I'm forgetting and that is just in the last decade!

When did they ever play Fly By Night in post-R30 sets?

Do these die hards really need to hear or want to hear Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions or The Spirit of Radio Again?

It's not all die hards going to the shows, it simply is not logical to NOT play those tunes you named right there

Like I told my husband (who's seen Rush countless times before)- this was my very first Rush show ever. Yeah, i hear Tom Sawyer as much as everyone else. But it wouldn't be a Rush concert WITHOUT it. And TSOR kicked so much ass live it blew me away lol

• Like 4

Too many people who attend are casual fans that need to hear their "hits".

I agree.

It's kind of a shame for all of us mega-fans that they have to play "the hits" all the time but there are just too few of us to fill every arena in a tour.

It's more than likely that a good chunk of the audience at a show has seen Rush at least once, but the majority have not and that's why you get "lame crowds who just stand around while we go crazy for every song".

They gotta play the hits for the unfamiliar who shelled out their hard earned cash for the show just like us...who don't want to ALWAYS hear the hits.

I've never seen The Rolling Stones live but if I did, I wanna hear the hits. I wouldn't care how much Mick and Keith wanted to puke 'cuz they've played Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, and Sympathy For The Devil a million times. That's what I'm paying to see...so play it.

The same goes for a Rush show.

I guess it's just the curse of being long time fans. We got to see Cut To The Chase, Driven, Jacobs Ladder and the dozens of other deep cuts we'd like to see now on past tours. Oh... for all you young whipper snappers out there who didn't get to see them on previous tours...HAHA...Being old does have at least one advantage.

I've seen the last 2 tours, and loved every song. Wish I could have seen some of those past shows. Especially to hear the whole Cygnus-X1 and Hemispheres in its entirty. How's come they can't release a live album from back then with those songs on it. Come on man!

Do these die hards really need to hear or want to hear Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions or The Spirit of Radio Again?

It's not all die hards going to the shows, it simply is not logical to NOT play those tunes you named right there

Like I told my husband (who's seen Rush countless times before)- this was my very first Rush show ever. Yeah, i hear Tom Sawyer as much as everyone else. But it wouldn't be a Rush concert WITHOUT it. And TSOR kicked so much ass live it blew me away lol

If the song kicks ass live, I don't care how many times they play it. :)

• Like 1

I think that what any one given person wants to hear depends on what degree of fandom he or she has. Since we're all Rush-heads on here, most of us would love for them to swap out some of the biggies to get even more deep cuts. But, for example, my girlfriend's sister is obsessed with Lou Gramm, and since I'm not exactly an expert on Foreigner and Gramm solo stuff, when we went to see him this past summer, I wanted to hear all the hits, and we got them. I'm surprised that someone is complaining about this particular setlist's hits, as opposed to, say, R30 or Time Machine. Those were much more laden with familiar songs than CA.

Yes, that's exactly my point. The band has released the same songs in so many live formats why not shake things up and release a live record with almost entirely different material. That would be much more interesting than the same songs for the 5th time

Yes, that's exactly my point. The band has released the same songs in so many live formats why not shake things up and release a live record with almost entirely different material. That would be much more interesting than the same songs for the 5th time

It's the gigs they have in mind when they plan the setlists, not what's going to go on the live recording.

It's probably difficult to cater for everyone. I'm a long time fan of 34 years who when younger dreamed of Rush touring to New Zealand or at least Australia. So to be finally be Ina position to afford to fly over 7500 miles to see them live last year, I was glad they played some of the classics. I love Clockwork Angels so was really pleased with the whole set list, for me the greatest concert experience of my life. I enjoyed seeing and hearing Limelight, Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Spirit of Radio, Subdivisions, 2112, and as a long time fan loved the rest of the set which was pretty much more less popular material. I think as a casual fan, half a dozen or so of the classics / more popular songs is important. I really feel Rush think it through and do try to cater for the hard core fan the "greatest hits" fan and the casual fan and the long term hardcore fan (like me) who has waited over 30 years for their first (and most likely, unfortunately) only show.

What a great story, I'm so glad you got to see them at last! I'm pleased that you enjoyed the show, too. :notworthy: :rush:

I always give bands shit when they play the same setlists over and over. Seeing Rush in the 80's must've been a nightmare with the amount of same songs they played from tour to tour back then.

And I was disappointed with the R30 and VT sets as well, since they contained so many of the usuals. But I have to hand it to them, they really did a great job with the TM and CA tours in mixing it up and playing both well-known songs and really obscure stuff, not to mention their entire new album, which is unheard of from a band of their era.

I know they're never going to get rid of Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, and Limelight, but I'd like to see these lesser known hits disappear: Red Sector A, Distant Early Warning, Force Ten, Subdivisions, The Big Money, The Trees, YYZ, and Closer to the Heart (thankfully, this one has disappeared).

In terms of hits, the first set has Subdivisions, The Big Money (I guess), and Far Cry, along with a ton of deeper cuts that would bore casual fans.

If I were a casual fan...or a big fan...and this were the only show I got to see in my lifetime, I'd have been very disappointed. Way too many esoteric tunes for the casual listener. I'm pretty certain no average Joe was hoping for a combination New Stuff/Power Windows tribute night, which is kind of what they got.
  • Like 2

In terms of hits, the first set has Subdivisions, The Big Money (I guess), and Far Cry, along with a ton of deeper cuts that would bore casual fans.

If I were a casual fan...or a big fan...and this were the only show I got to see in my lifetime, I'd have been very disappointed. Way too many esoteric tunes for the casual listener. I'm pretty certain no average Joe was hoping for a combination New Stuff/Power Windows tribute night, which is kind of what they got.

And what a grand night it was...stellar. If Clockwork Angels doesn't hit ya hard—turn in your Rush card!
  • Like 4

Most " classic rock " bands avoid their new material, if any , like the plague, cause they know the fans could give a shit .. Rush fans are more hardcore than that.

I'm a hardcore fan, but hate everything after 2000.

Hey...did you ever get yer badge?

some songs could go away IMO...far cry for example is a forced "hit". big money, dreamline and a few others this tour could have been left out. and did we really need working them angels 2 tours/blu rays in a row? I dig what the OP is saying...rush puts out a blu ray for every tour since they came back...and there is a LOT of repeats on them. and geddy just cannot sing most stuff pre-PW, without detuning; which I wish they would do anyways...this band from England did that a few years ago- you know- those zeppelin guys, it sounded "OK". :notworthy: seriously, the boys should visit that notion for R40. 2112 and circumstances sound pretty f-ing good to me! keep TS, spirit of radio and even freewill to get the casual fan, but cater to me!
  • Like 1

Most " classic rock " bands avoid their new material, if any , like the plague, cause they know the fans could give a shit .. Rush fans are more hardcore than that.

I'm a hardcore "fan", but hate everything after 2000.

I will use the word dis-like. I dis-like most everything from 1986 - 2011. Sounds awful when you think about it doesn't it? It even does to me but it's true. :huh:

because you're mentally handicapped!

I will use the word dis-like. I dis-like most everything from 1986 - 2011. Sounds awful when you think about it doesn't it? It even does to me but it's true. :huh:

Narpet, you need to quit hanging around Toronto mayor Rob Ford because you must be on crack.
  • Like 1

Narpet, you need to quit hanging around Toronto mayor Rob Ford because you must be on crack.

I had my head covered. I knew it was coming but the truth has always set me free..... :smash:

I had my head covered. I knew it was coming but the truth has always set me free..... :smash:

Well at least you didn't say that listening to "Headlong Flight" is a chore, as the notorious Goobs once opined