What gives with these concert setlists?

Czarcasm

With a 40 year career and around 20 albums of material, why do they always play the same songs? Rush is known as the biggest cult band in the world and there are fans who have been to dozens of shows. Do these die hards really need to hear or want to hear Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions or The Spirit of Radio Again?

For f*cks sake, this was the 20th anniversary of Counterparts, why couldn't they mention this and then include a few more tracks from that album? Can you imagine how amazing it would be to hear Cut to the Chase or Alien Shore for the first time live? Both these songs have incredible solos and are infinitely more interesting than the usual stuff Rush pulls out. You can't tell me that as a fan you would seriously want to hear Limelight over an underplayed CP track or any other unplayed track from their catalogue.

I don't get it. It feels like rush has released 5 live albums in less than a decade and THE SAME SONGS KEEP GETTING PLAYED. Why would I pay money to hear the same songs again only sung, produced and played WORSE!?

Instead of playing tSoR again why not work hard and translate songs from VT to the stage? Or take songs that people have forgotten from TfE and make them into legendary live performances? The playing from that album is godly, why not choose and play 3 songs from that album that would be facemeltingly good?

At his point is almost seems like disrespect to fans. I don't care if they whipped out a few PoW songs this tour. With such a large catalogue, they should feel compelled to create entirely new setlists with each tour. They're a cult band with a huge following of dedicated listeners and for the majority of the time they still tour like an oldies band who play the same 15 songs to death.

• Like 1

I am an old codger for sure but I feel totally the opposite. I would prefer they play even older material. The cult thing comes from years and years of folks like me loving and following the band even when it was not cool to do so. I am sure they have plenty of younger fans these days but for me I want to hear Something For Nothing and Beneath Between and Behind. Stuff like that. Just my old man opinion. As far as creating the perfect set list goes, I am taking that class next semester and L2K is the instructor.........
  • Like 5

Too many people who attend are casual fans that need to hear their "hits".

Exactly. Selling tickets is still important and there are just not that many "purists". It's true for just about anything, the need to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Sure, Rush's LCD is higher than most other musical acts that play arenas, but it's still an issue.

• Like 1

I am an old codger for sure but I feel totally the opposite. I would prefer they play even older material. The cult thing comes from years and years of folks like me loving and following the band even when it was not cool to do so. I am sure they have plenty of younger fans these days but for me I want to hear Something For Nothing and Beneath Between and Behind. Stuff like that. Just my old man opinion. As far as creating the perfect set list goes, I am taking that class next semester and L2K is the instructor.........

GoGood

Have fun with that. You're about to enter Cuban matrix
  • Like 1

With a 40 year career and around 20 albums of material, why do they always play the same songs? Rush is known as the biggest cult band in the world and there are fans who have been to dozens of shows. Do these die hards really need to hear or want to hear Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions or The Spirit of Radio Again?

For f*cks sake, this was the 20th anniversary of Counterparts, why couldn't they mention this and then include a few more tracks from that album? Can you imagine how amazing it would be to hear Cut to the Chase or Alien Shore for the first time live? Both these songs have incredible solos and are infinitely more interesting than the usual stuff Rush pulls out. You can't tell me that as a fan you would seriously want to hear Limelight over an underplayed CP track or any other unplayed track from their catalogue.

I don't get it. It feels like rush has released 5 live albums in less than a decade and THE SAME SONGS KEEP GETTING PLAYED. Why would I pay money to hear the same songs again only sung, produced and played WORSE!?

Instead of playing tSoR again why not work hard and translate songs from VT to the stage? Or take songs that people have forgotten from TfE and make them into legendary live performances? The playing from that album is godly, why not choose and play 3 songs from that album that would be facemeltingly good?

At his point is almost seems like disrespect to fans. I don't care if they whipped out a few PoW songs this tour. With such a large catalogue, they should feel compelled to create entirely new setlists with each tour. They're a cult band with a huge following of dedicated listeners and for the majority of the time they still tour like an oldies band who play the same 15 songs to death.

The Power Windows tracks were more than just a couple, a fitting tribute of they're last "masterpiece". Personally I just wanna hear what Geddy can sing well. I'd be happy if they never attempted a song from an era that Geddy will struggle singing. The setlist from CA tour was lacking nothing. Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 2

You ARE the Czar of casm..... :notworthy: :D

The reality is not everyone has seen them 10 times since the Hemispheres tour. Some younger fans have never seen them before, and expect to hear certain staples. Rush, more than almost any other band of their "vintage" plays a pretty diverse set list. Go see Black Sabbath. You'll hear the same 12 songs they've been playing with Ozzy since forever.
  • Like 6

Isn't the reality that the setlists vary quite a bit? Sure, there are a few staples, but they rotate a large number of songs. Just compare the DVD release setlists.
  • Like 4

I would think most rock bands are guilty of this but compared to other bands, at least Rush are playing new material. Take Rush's infamous influence Journey for example, they're still trading on Don't Stop Believing. Edited by tas7
  • Like 3

Anyone who doesn't realise that all those "too many" casual fans are the reason that we the hardcore still get the level of Rushy goodness that we do is simply blind to reality.
  • Like 3

I've only seen Rush twice and they were both on this tour. I would love to see Working Man, Closer To The Heart and Limelight. Along with The Trees, Fly By Night, Anthem and I'll stop my list before I name everything. I'll take whatever they play.
  • Like 2

You should understand that (most likely) every show there is at least one person who is going to see Rush for the first time. And regardless of what specific songs they love, it was most likely those hits that drew them to the band in the first place, so seeing those hits at their first show means a lot. You should bear in mind also though, that through all of Rush's catalogue, only one song has been played at every show since it's release (I will let you guess which one that is). Anyway be happy you do get variety in the sets, compared to all of the greatest hits tours that are going around. Lastly, wait for 2024 (If they are still playing), it's usually the 30 year that gets the appreciation.
  • Like 1

I took my girlfriend to see Yes many years ago. She only knew Roundabout, Owner of a Lonely Heart, All Good People and And You And I. They didn't plant any of them except a snippet of AYAI during a Wake man/Anderson solo. I think it was their first show with no Roundabout. Not too easy to get a casual fan to go again after that.
  • Like 2

I agree.

It's kind of a shame for all of us mega-fans that they have to play "the hits" all the time but there are just too few of us to fill every arena in a tour.

It's more than likely that a good chunk of the audience at a show has seen Rush at least once, but the majority have not and that's why you get "lame crowds who just stand around while we go crazy for every song".

They gotta play the hits for the unfamiliar who shelled out their hard earned cash for the show just like us...who don't want to ALWAYS hear the hits.

I've never seen The Rolling Stones live but if I did, I wanna hear the hits. I wouldn't care how much Mick and Keith wanted to puke 'cuz they've played Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, and Sympathy For The Devil a million times. That's what I'm paying to see...so play it.

The same goes for a Rush show.

I guess it's just the curse of being long time fans. We got to see Cut To The Chase, Driven, Jacobs Ladder and the dozens of other deep cuts we'd like to see now on past tours. Oh... for all you young whipper snappers out there who didn't get to see them on previous tours...HAHA...Being old does have at least one advantage.

• Like 2

I agree.

It's kind of a shame for all of us mega-fans that they have to play "the hits" all the time but there are just too few of us to fill every arena in a tour.

It's more than likely that a good chunk of the audience at a show has seen Rush at least once, but the majority have not and that's why you get "lame crowds who just stand around while we go crazy for every song".

They gotta play the hits for the unfamiliar who shelled out their hard earned cash for the show just like us...who don't want to ALWAYS hear the hits.

I've never seen The Rolling Stones live but if I did, I wanna hear the hits. I wouldn't care how much Mick and Keith wanted to puke 'cuz they've played Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, and Sympathy For The Devil a million times. That's what I'm paying to see...so play it.

I guess it's just the curse of being long time fans. We got to see Cut To The Chase, Driven, Jacobs Ladder and the dozens of other deep cuts we'd like to see now on past tours. Oh... for all you young whipper snappers out there who didn't get to see them on previous tours...HAHA...Being old does have at least one advantage.

Again, the idea that they just play hits it's off base. Check the set lists and see how many different songs get played.

In response to Slack Jaw Gaze (Quote button not working for me). Oh yeah, sorry, I guess I did not think that one through. I guess I do not factor Far Cry in because it is still relatively new, only 2 albums old, and likewise the CA Material is only one album old. I guess the better way to write it is concerning songs that are from pre-hiatus time, Tom Sawyer is the only one. Also, yes they did not play Tom Sawyer in Quebec, but they intended to (we assume), and it was conditions beyond their control that kept them from playing it.

It's probably difficult to cater for everyone. I'm a long time fan of 34 years who when younger dreamed of Rush touring to New Zealand or at least Australia. So to be finally be Ina position to afford to fly over 7500 miles to see them live last year, I was glad they played some of the classics. I love Clockwork Angels so was really pleased with the whole set list, for me the greatest concert experience of my life. I enjoyed seeing and hearing Limelight, Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Spirit of Radio, Subdivisions, 2112, and as a long time fan loved the rest of the set which was pretty much more less popular material. I think as a casual fan, half a dozen or so of the classics / more popular songs is important. I really feel Rush think it through and do try to cater for the hard core fan the "greatest hits" fan and the casual fan and the long term hardcore fan (like me) who has waited over 30 years for their first (and most likely, unfortunately) only show.
  • Like 2

I agree.

Again, the idea that they just play hits it's off base. Check the set lists and see how many different songs get played.

Not saying JUST...only asking WHY AGAIN.