Clockwork Angels: The Graphic Novel Coming in April 2014

Jag2112

Dscrapre, you cannot please everybody, unfortunately!

To be honest graphic novels are not my cup of tea, but even so I can see the skill and handiwork of telling a story entirely through pictures! I studied film and it amazes me to think it took the best part of a century for so called "experts" to regard film-making as an art form (and much debate still goes on with "higher minded" critics). Pffft. Some people close their minds before, or without, trying to understand. It's like when I hearhpeople dismiss rock and metal as mere noise before properly exploring said genres. Sure, on the surface both genres can appear abrasive and rebellious, but dig a little deeper and its amazing what talent and imagination fuels a lot of artists. On the one hand, we have Slayer, who live up to much of the sterotype (not questioning talent here, just sound). And then on the other, we have recent (uncategorizable) Anathema. And who would say the last two albums have cause to offend? But many choose to ignore what could otherwise have potential to be their favourite artist!

The world is full of wonder and invention, so we all have little time to discover everything. But I will admit if any decent titles come my way, I will check them out! Its good advice to keep an open mind. Otherwise bands like Black Sabbath, The Rolling Stones and Rush would all have bit the dust decades ago!

Well said my friend. I admire people who have the time and energy to put in to seemingly everything. There are and have been times in my life when I had some interest in "getting into" something. Reading, a particular band or whatever. The time investment needed has often scared me away. There are only a few things that have ever rated enough to have deserved that kind of time investment to this point. Work (e.g. earning a good living), my marriage, raising my children properly, fitness, golf, bowling and my band. Not necessarily in that order............... :codger:
  • Like 1

Well ive had enough of the clockwork angels project but if this graphic novel as good as that comic thing they did for 2112 should be really quite good

Still wont be buying though. I need new rush. An EP will do plz :)

Edited by lifeson90

I tend to agree that the story was more suited for comics. The best novels are not assigned or dictated to. If Kevin Anderson was inspired that is one thing, but the made-to order-nature of the book is juvenile. I think the fact that Neil agreed to the version of the book that was published makes him a grade A sellout. Not that there is anything really wrong with merchandising, but the cheese whiz in that book is a little insulting to anyone over the age of 9. I would have to liken the book to a poster. If you like that sort of thing then hang it on your wall. In depth life lessons are not to be found here.

Be it as it may, I agree with a poster on here who said Clock Work Angels better suited as a graphic novel. As a science fiction novel I found the storyline rather shallow and the writing clunky abit awkward. Readable but I thought it could've been better.
  • Like 1

"GRAPHIC NOVEL"

Arrgghh... A comic book by any other name.

So called "graphic novels" are written by people that can't actually write, for people who can't read books without pictures.

I can't belive that Peart signed off on this shit.

Alan Moore would like a word with you.

But no

This is a scenario where you are wrong. You're wrooooong. Do you think I'm kidding?

I'm not.

Actual graphic novels (See above alan moore comment) are like fully detailed storyboarded movies. Watchmen is a graphic novel and was actually on Time's list of 100 greatest novels. While it may be the cream of the crop in regards to the medium, it's still an incredible piece of fiction that anybody from Generation x onward should read. And it was released in full in 1987.

Anyway now that you've proven yourself to be old or just out of touch, I will actually agree with you. Why would I want to read a graphic novel based on a book based on a loosely tied together "concept" album? No I'm serious you guys. The "concept" of CA is flimsier than a 5 dollar hammock. I know they're trying to cash in on Rush's relative modern success but I have no interest in reading the novel or the graphic novel variant.

So did anyone get all 6 editions? I would assume since most of the posts about it from this thread are not very complimentary that would mean not much interest. Just wondering if anyone actually looked at it.. :huh:

So did anyone get all 6 editions? I would assume since most of the posts about it from this thread are not very complimentary that would mean not much interest. Just wondering if anyone actually looked at it.. :huh:

Not a one.

I got the book but I never read it. I don't want to mess with my interpretation of the album.

That and I'm not much of a Kevin J Anderson fan anyway.