CA Tour CD is the best live CD since...

LedRush

The Clockwork Angels Tour CD is the best live CD since...  

24 members have voted

1. 1. The Clockwork Angels Tour CD is the best live CD since...

• The TM Tour
    • Snakes & Arrows Live
    • R30
    • Rush in Rio
    • Different Stages (only discs 1 and 2...not the 1977 concert)
    • A Show of Hands
    • GUP Tour
    • Exit Stage Left...
    • Different Stages (only disc 3...not the 90's tours)
    • All the World's a Stage
    • Rush ABC: Agora 1974
    • Ever

R30 remains their peak live album. This is way better than Time Machine in terms of setlist and Geddy's voice, and at least on par in terms of mixing. This isn't quite as good as S&A in terms of mixing, but they sure are playing a hell of a lot better than they did on that one (S&A is their worst live recording, performance-wise in my opinion).

I went with Different Stages. Geddy's voice is too bad in TM for me to even consider it. The setlist in S&A is hampered by having to play S&A. R30 sounds great, but the setlist is even worse than in S&A, and the crowd seems to have died in 2001. Rio is an amazing experience and good setlist, but the sound just isn't good enough to justify beating out this CD. Different Stages adds a lot of oomph to songs that didn't have it (Presto/RtB), and is a nice array of great shows put together in one excellent package. If you were to include the 1977 concert, this is a no-brainer for me, but even without it I think it's a great concert CD.

I almost included a choice for "I'm GeminiRising and I'm a douche who likes to crap on everyone's fun", but it seems that it should have been "I'm GeminiRising and I don't understand how the English language works".
  • Like 1

I´ve only heard the CD so far, and a few things bother me, like Neil missing some of the drum fills and Geddy´s voice being worse than I remembered. But all in all it´s a cool release with a VERY unusual and adventurous setlist. Can´t wait to buy the Blu-Ray.

listening to it now. it's really good and yes the vocals are a bit shaky. His voice was much stronger when i saw them in Portland this year.

He was shaky on a couple of songs, but I thought he was much stronger than on the TM CD. I bet that's why we got so much PoW and HYF. No matter the reason, I'm still psyched!

listening to it now. it's really good and yes the vocals are a bit shaky. His voice was much stronger when i saw them in Portland this year.

He was shaky on a couple of songs, but I thought he was much stronger than on the TM CD. I bet that's why we got so much PoW and HYF. No matter the reason, I'm still psyched!

fanboi!
  • Like 1

Different Stages is my personal favourite. I'd say this is the best one since then...

That said..I have issues with Neil's drums being so low in the mix on the previous few live albums. In that vein, S&A live and TM tour are very similarly mixed. but this one wins because the song material is killer, and both Geddy and Alex sound alot better. That is mostly attributed to them using different gear.

Alex ditched the Hughes and Kettner amps which were muddy as hell, in favor of his custom shop Marshall clones -- huge improvement -- and Geddy went from using the Fender Jazz with the 2 pickups split in stereo, which sounded really unnatural already, and it was then routed through Sansamp distortion ( which sounded buzzy and lacked definition.) He now has his Jazz in the standard mono output , routed through an Orange amp of some sort. way beefier, way more natural sounding.

• Like 1

I'd say since S&A Live, but I'm biased as that was my first Rush tour. It's a solid live disc, but it's no R30 or Different Stages.

Still, I try not to rank these things. It always varies on mood.

I enjoy all their live albums, just like I enjoy all their studio albums, which is to say some more than others. But if I'm being honest, their peak was ESL. They had their best material to work with, and Geddy's voice was as good live as it was in the studio. They were still at peak performance on ASOH and DS, but the set list had been diluted (IMO, of course) by lesser material.

I like the album. I liked TM and S&AL too, although I recognize that Geddy's voice was not what once was. I'm bummed I missed this tour. The CA stuff is obviously tailored to Geddy's voice now, so he sounds the best on that.