A Nitpicker's Thread For the Clockwork Angels Tour CD

LedRush

Anyone else notice that when they edited Tom Sawyer that they have a shot of Geddy playing his sunburst jazz bass for about 3 seconds and then he's back to the black one? No excuse to let that slip through.

I missed that in the theater. I haven't watched the blu ray yet as I'm figuring out how to fix my PS4 to play surround sound in a way that doesn't suck ass.

I haven't watched but a few songs so far but I caught that right off. There may be more times they did it. I have to say that whoever edited this thing really did a crappy job. I don't mind the shots from the audience and the different angles, but they keep missing focusing on the guys when they're doing key things. And the bass could definitely be up in the mix at times.

That being said, I think the blu-ray is gorgeous.

Anyone else notice that when they edited Tom Sawyer that they have a shot of Geddy playing his sunburst jazz bass for about 3 seconds and then he's back to the black one? No excuse to let that slip through.

I'm pretty sure I saw the gray haired guy in the orchestra have two different hair styles in the same set. One time he has slicked back hair and the rest of the time he doesn't. They did much more scene splicing in this DVD than past ones I believe. Geddy has basically said this in a couple of interviews. They should have told everyone to wear the exact same things for the two filmed shows.

I'm pretty sure I saw the gray haired guy in the orchestra have two different hair styles in the same set. One time he has slicked back hair and the rest of the time he doesn't. They did much more scene splicing in this DVD than past ones I believe. Geddy has basically said this in a couple of interviews. They should have told everyone to wear the exact same things for the two filmed shows.

That's interesting. I didn't catch that but I've not watched most of the concert yet. I watched the extras first and then had stuff to do. Be interesting to know when he used the Sunburst jazz for YYZ. that's definitely out of the ordinary.

I'll get back to you when the Pony Express finally delivers it to my door......... :rage:

Still hasn't come yet :rage: just checked the mail......
  • Like 1

I noticed that in the DVD linear notes that it states that they filmed in Dallas, Phoenix **AND** San Antonio. The San Antonio show was the very next night after Dallas. I was at that show, and there was no mention at that time that they would be filming, but I remember security making very clear that NO ONE was allowed to bring a camera into the venue.

My guess is they filmed in San Antonio to "clean up" any rough spots, and in this case, a rough spot had to be cleaned up when Ged used a different guitar.

Just a thought.

Clem

• Like 1

I noticed that in the DVD linear notes that it states that they filmed in Dallas, Phoenix **AND** San Antonio. The San Antonio show was the very next night after Dallas. I was at that show, and there was no mention at that time that they would be filming, but I remember security making very clear that NO ONE was allowed to bring a camera into the venue.

My guess is they filmed in San Antonio to "clean up" any rough spots, and in this case, a rough spot had to be cleaned up when Ged used a different guitar.

Just a thought.

Clem

But I'm surprised they just didn't use another shot, of something else. Seems like a major flub since it's an obvious thing.

Just a thought.

Clem

But I'm surprised they just didn't use another shot, of something else. Seems like a major flub since it's an obvious thing.

I thought this happened once before with Alex and his guitar on the "A Show of Hands" video. Not entirely sure, though. It's been a LONG time since I watched that video....

On a slightly related note, I distinctly remember the Austin show from CA. Alex broke a string 3 DIFFERENT TIMES and had to swap out a guitar midway through a song. Could something like that have happened?? We have humidity issues in Texas

Clem

Edited by clem

Just a thought.

Clem

If you think using 5 seconds of a clip from a different show on the same song is a major flub, I don't think anything would satisfy you.

Just a thought.

Clem

If you think using 5 seconds of a clip from a different show on the same song is a major flub, I don't think anything would satisfy you.

That's an odd comment. What is that supposed to mean? It throws off the continuity, and visually it's very obvious.

Just a thought.

Clem

That's an odd comment. What is that supposed to mean? It throws off the continuity, and visually it's very obvious.

Not really that big of a deal, is what I'm saying.

Just a thought.

Clem

Not really that big of a deal, is what I'm saying.

Doesn't have to be. This is the nitpickers thread. :)

• Like 1

I'll nitpick and say I really did not appreciate Alex farting during the solo of Seven Cities, but I'll let that go. He must have chowed down too much TexMex that day.

No such thing as too much TexMex. ;)

So far I love it. I did notice a couple of bad goofs by Alex. He butchers the 2112 finale guitar part. Not to crazy about his Wreckers solo at the end, either. He nailed several other solos, though, so I can cut him some slack.

After listening to the CD a LOT in the past couple days, I maintain that my main criticism lies not so much in the quality of the mix, but in the consistency. It's really quite odd. Territories, Analog Kid, Caravan, and a few other songs sound GREAT. But there are elements of other songs where I just don't understand their priority in the mix. The opening riff to Headlong FLight, it sounds like absolutely nothing is in the forefront there. Each instrument sounds muted, but magically it gets more powerful about a minute in. Far Cry is a bit of a mess too, especially near the beginning, but a bit overall. And the oomph out of the most powerful part of Bravado (right after the solo when Geddy sings "and if the music stops...") is completely stripped because Alex suddenly fades to the background for no clear reason.

Yet then you listen to The Pass, Red Sector A, or Where's My THing, and it all sounds pretty great. It's pretty clear that whoever did the mixing had the most trouble when the strings came in, as the Clockwork Angels stuff is hampered the most. Caravan sounds good, but there are parts of Clockwork Angels (the song) that put weird emphasis on the ambient sounds over the instruments, etc. Just odd decisions sprinkled throughout.

Not nearly enough to break my enjoyment, but the mix is definitely not in the upper tier of their live releases.

Edited by puffyshirt